Who was Mats Sundin the greatest since?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I'm asking Leafs fans to judge how great your #13 Mats Sundin was compared to past greats.

Choices are:

1. Phil Kessel (Phil Kessel is no longer an option!)
2. Doug Gilmour
3. Wendel Clark
4. Borje Salming
5. Rick Vaive
6. Dave Keon
7. Darryl Sittler
8. Lanny MacDonald

Last edited:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Voted for past great Phil Kessel.

vAzAw.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Kessel played before Sundin?

Kessel obsessed. :shakehead

As to the OP.

Gilmour was better than Sundin and played with Sundin. So it isn't like Sundin was some Knight in shining armour who came along after the franchise enduring years of garbage players.

That would be Kessel. :sarcasm:

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I remember watching Phil Kessel in the early 80's with my dad and boy was he sure a thrill to watch. With that said, I got to go with him.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
I remember watching Phil Kessel in the early 80's with my dad and boy was he sure a thrill to watch. With that said, I got to go with him.

I agree, I wasn't born when he was playing but just reading articles, looking at stats and some old games on LeafsTV, he was the real deal. Voting for him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I voted for Doug Gilmour. When I was a kid and started getting into Hockey and the Leafs I remember Gilmour was my favorite player back then. Plus whenever he was on the ice he would do whatever it took to win, so it's fair to say he was the heart and soul of the Maple Leafs. Plus since Sundin became captain after Gilmour got traded I say it makes the most sense to compare them based on that fact.

Apr 1, 2010
I voted for Doug Gilmour. When I was a kid and started getting into Hockey and the Leafs I remember Gilmour was my favorite player back then. Plus whenever he was on the ice he would do whatever it took to win, so it's fair to say he was the heart and soul of the Maple Leafs. Plus since Sundin became captain after Gilmour got traded I say it makes the most sense to compare them based on that fact.

Gilmour is the obvious answer.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I agree, I wasn't born when he was playing but just reading articles, looking at stats and some old games on LeafsTV, he was the real deal. Voting for him.

The images of Kessel's greatness have been burned so clearly into my mind that it still feels like only a year ago when I last saw him play!:naughty:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I attribute these poll results being skewed in Phil Kessel's direction because of this young audience we have here on HFboards that isn't aware of the greatness of Leafs generations past.

Yep.

That's why...

Leafs For Life*

I attribute these poll results being skewed in Phil Kessel's direction because of this young audience we have here on HFboards that isn't aware of the greatness of Leafs generations past.

Yep.

That's why...

Or, it's that Kessel as a kid played better than Sundin? :sarcasm:

Good try at thread, bad outcome.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I remember Kessel being an integral part of the 1942 Stanley Cup winning team, the first team in pro sports to come back from a 3 - 0 series deficit.

Kessel and Syl Apps were a dynamic duo, with David "Sweeney" Schriner providing the grit needed to round out the perfect top line.

Ahhh, Good times.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Sundin was way better than Kessel... that's for sure.

Whatever... I need a smoke after this trauma Ive experienced here.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I remember back in 93 when Phil The Thrill Kessel set up Dougie Gilmour in that STL VS TOR series sending the puck past Cujo. Just a great player all around.

Kyle Doobas*

I guess I'll vote for Borje Salming since Phil Kessel was removed :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad