Speculation: Who was better-Fedorov or Datsyuk?

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Not sure I can answer my own question. Fortunate enough to see both players play.

Their numbers are comparable.

Name:games/goals/assists/pts/pp pts./pts per game ave./+-/sh.%/pen. mins.

Fedorov:1248/483/696/1179/544/.944/261/12.1/839

Datsyuk: 953/314/604/918/427/.963/249/14.0/228

Fedorov won 3 Cups, 2 Selkes, 1 Hart and 1 Ted Lindasy

Dats won 2 Cups, 4 Bings and 3 Selkes.

Feds played with more of an edge and in 93/94 accomplished something that I believe have yet to be duplicated and that is to finish 2nd in scoring(120 pts. to Gretzky's 130) and yet win the Selke for the best defensive forward. Amazing skills.

I have been watching hockey since 1958 and Dats is simply the best puck thief that I have ever seen. To my mind, easily 2 of the top 5 two-way players ever. Am interested to see what people think.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Two amazing talents, but I give the nod to Fedorov. Picking one feels like a slight to the other, but it's not. Take either guy in their prime and they are an absolute top-shelf pick to build a team around, talent-wise.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
both incredible players. agree with your analysis. 2 of the best 2-way players ever who could have both been regular 100-point scorers if they shirked their defensive duties. but neither ever did. fedorov's ceiling was probably higher than datsyuk's, although he played in a very different era.

in my opinion, 13 and 91 should be in the rafters.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Fedorov

they're pretty close in the regular season but Fedorov has a clear edge in the Playoffs

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Not sure I can answer my own question. Fortunate enough to see both players play.

Their numbers are comparable.

Name:games/goals/assists/pts/pp pts./pts per game ave./+-/sh.%/pen. mins.

Fedorov:1248/483/696/1179/544/.944/261/12.1/839

Datsyuk: 953/314/604/918/427/.963/249/14.0/228

Fedorov won 3 Cups, 2 Selkes, 1 Hart and 1 Ted Lindasy

Dats won 2 Cups, 4 Bings and 3 Selkes.

Feds played with more of an edge and in 93/94 accomplished something that I believe have yet to be duplicated and that is to finish 2nd in scoring(120 pts. to Gretzky's 130) and yet win the Selke for the best defensive forward. Amazing skills.

I have been watching hockey since 1958 and Dats is simply the best puck thief that I have ever seen. To my mind, easily 2 of the top 5 two-way players ever. Am interested to see what people think.

Fedorov is a much better player than Datsyuk and I mean that as no disrespect to Datsyuk.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Datsyuk easily

How easily?

Fedorov won a Hart trophy. Datsyuk did not.
Fedorov played as a top 4 defenseman. Datsyuk did not/could not.
Fedorov was objectively stronger and faster than Datsyuk.

Again, I'm not saying anything to put down a fabulous player in Datsyuk. Fedorov was just that good, in my opinion.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
In their respective peaks: Fedorov.
Over entire career: wash.

Fedorov was second to none during his short peak. His combination of production, speed, skill and willingness to play defense was simply unequaled.

Datsyuk however was among the top players in the league for longer than Fedorov was so over their entire Red Wings careers I would call it a wash.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
In their respective peaks: Fedorov.
Over entire career: wash.

Fedorov was second to none during his short peak. His combination of production, speed, skill and willingness to play defense was simply unequaled.

Datsyuk however was among the top players in the league for longer than Fedorov was so over their entire Red Wings careers I would call it a wash.

Fedorov's 'decline' also corresponded with an overall change in team philosophy and it happening almost entirely during the dead puck era. Look at his playoff stats though, that right there puts Feds head and shoulders above Datsyuk.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
It's really close.

Datsyuk actually has a higher point per game rate if you adjust for scoring eras. Pav has 3 seasons in top-10 scoring, while Fedorov has 2.

Both were total possession monsters. But Fedorov was actually used more defensively on balance than Fedorov, so maybe he'd have had slightly better offensive numbers if he wasn't.

Fedorov probably had a better supporting cast throughout his career, outside of Anaheim and Columbus. Fedorov was surrounded by superstar level talent in Detroit and Washington, whereas Datsyuk was the best player and go-to guy in most of his years.

The overwhelming consensus seems to be Fedorov.... but I'm not so sure it's so clear cut.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Playmaking: Dats
Wrist shot: Feds
Slap shot: Feds
Backhand: Dats
Skating: Feds
Defence: Tie
Playoffs: Feds
Consistency: Datsyuk
Physicality: Feds
Stickhandling: Dats

Its very, very close. They are my 2 favourite Wings of all time. I think it's fair to say that Feds had more talent overall, but Datsyuk did more with less.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Playmaking: Dats
Wrist shot: Feds
Slap shot: Feds
Backhand: Dats
Skating: Feds
Defence: Tie (Feds by more than most people would think, he actually played defense)
Playoffs: Feds
Consistency: Datsyuk (Feds was consistent for the Wings, it wasn't until the end of his career that was an issue).
Physicality: Feds
Stickhandling: Dats

Its very, very close. They are my 2 favourite Wings of all time. I think it's fair to say that Feds had more talent overall, but Datsyuk did more with less.

I don't think it's that close, Fedorov played in dead puck and did so under Bowman. Remember that Steve"Most points scored in a single by anyone who wasn't one of the Freaks" Yzmeran saw an offensive hit with the combination of dead puck and Bowman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad