Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
yeah sorry about that. Just thought it might be good to keep all of the Torts era stuff in that coaching thread and start fresh with a new coaching thread for the new coach when he gets here.

As far as some options, Gallant is one. I know people are going to say he's too expensive,and maybe he is, but Brind'Amour just got an extremely below market deal and he's in the upper tier of coaches. If Gallant wants to return to the NHL, which he does, and options could be limited (which they won't be but hear me out) he could maybe take a deal similar to Torts' (2 million) and return here.

Other options include Alain Vigneault (if the Flyers fire him), David Quinn (if the Rangers fire him), Bruce Boudreau, Claude Julien, Todd Nelson, and Mike Villucci. I'm sure both Shaw and Larsen will get interviews as well as a respect thing.
Will we be able to attract top flight coaches? Whether we agree with it or not, Columbus has a reputation of not being able to keep elite players so will one of the coaches listed want to come to team and city where it will be a struggle to win?

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Copy and pasting my post from the Torts thread into here.

Here comes a bunch of former Blue Jackets

Manny Malhotra- Assistant coach of the Leafs. Didn't someone post an article on how he's one of the young up and coming potential NHL coach?

Kevin Dineen- Head coach of the San Diego Gulls of the AHL. Portzline mentioned they had a shot at him in 2010 but he eventually withdrew his name from the running.

Luke Richardson- Assistant coach of the Canadiens. So Jalonen and Dineen was thrown out by a fan in Portzline's q and a. When he was answering, it was Portzline who threw Richardson's name into the mix.

Also I think Canucks head coach Travis Green is a free agent as well.
In a way it feels like a bigger gamble, but I'd be OK with any of the 3 former CBJ players above.

Reactions: punk_o_holic

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm in the camp where I don't think this is a quick fix.

I'd like someone with a strong AHL background. The AHL is where professional players develop and the proven ability to successfully develop players at the professional level will be key to the long term success of the CBJ given the number of raw and younger players on the roster.

My ideal candidate will have been a head coach at the AHL for at least 2 seasons. Preferably some assistant experience at either the NHL, AHL or college level as well.

I don't mind a so-called 'recycled' NHL coach either, but I'd prefer one who has experience coaching a young and bad team. I don't see a Gallant, Boudreau or Julien as a good fit for a number of reasons.

Jarmo's Eurocentric drafting over the past four years and penchant for non North American players may make a European candidate a good choice as one of the assistants, but I'd prefer the entire process be led by a new GM.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Will we be able to attract top flight coaches? Whether we agree with it or not, Columbus has a reputation of not being able to keep elite players so will one of the coaches listed want to come to team and city where it will be a struggle to win?

We literally got Ken Hitchcock and Tortorella here. It’s not like players where there’s 23 spots on 31/32 teams. There’s only 32 head coaching jobs in the world in the NHL. Yes, we’re attractive to coaches.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I really have no idea where this will go to be honest. Jarmo is a unique cat who seems to march to his own beat. I have no idea where his mind will take him or if it is the right way to go. If there is anyone who is offensive minded but holds players accountable I feel that this is the direction he'll go and I don't know who even remotely meets that criteria.

I just certainly hope we clean house on the assistants except for Manny Legace.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
We literally got Ken Hitchcock and Tortorella here. It’s not like players where there’s 23 spots on 31/32 teams. There’s only 32 head coaching jobs in the world in the NHL. Yes, we’re attractive to coaches.

Agreed.

There may be a coach or two or wouldn't come to Columbus for this or that reason, but most out of work coaches or non NHL coaches would give their eye teeth to be a HC in the NHL. Anywhere and for any quality of team.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Copy and pasting my post from the Torts thread into here.

Here comes a bunch of former Blue Jackets

Manny Malhotra- Assistant coach of the Leafs. Didn't someone post an article on how he's one of the young up and coming potential NHL coach?

Kevin Dineen- Head coach of the San Diego Gulls of the AHL. Portzline mentioned they had a shot at him in 2010 but he eventually withdrew his name from the running.

Luke Richardson- Assistant coach of the Canadiens. So Jalonen and Dineen was thrown out by a fan in Portzline's q and a. When he was answering, it was Portzline who threw Richardson's name into the mix.

Also I think Canucks head coach Travis Green is a free agent as well.

How Manny Malhotra became one of the NHL's most promising young coaches

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Wonder if Nolan Pratt is another name to keep an eye on . He was on Bednars staff with Lake Erie, and been at Colorado where they have become the second best defensive team in the league .

Kirk Muller ?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Is Hartley on the radar?
Hartley should be still one year in Avangard. But I would be like to see him here. Besides NHL career as a coach he has experiences with European hockey, developing players what could help players here.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Surprised nobody has mentioned Mike Eaves who is the current coach of the Monsters.

Had a tough year last year but is off to a nice start this year with a 15-8 record. Gotta figure he'll be in the mix.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Surprised nobody has mentioned Mike Eaves who is the current coach of the Monsters.

Had a tough year last year but is off to a nice start this year with a 15-8 record. Gotta figure he'll be in the mix.
When Mike Eaves took over the Monsters, he said in a meet the coach event for season ticket holders that he had no interest in coaching in the NHL. He enjoyed developing and helping guys take the next step in their careers. Whether that has changed in the last two years, I don't know.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
When Mike Eaves took over the Monsters, he said in a meet the coach event for season ticket holders that he had no interest in coaching in the NHL. He enjoyed developing and helping guys take the next step in their careers. Whether that has changed in the last two years, I don't know.
If that is true, that could be nice for long term prospect development. He seems to be doing a nice job with what little has been handed to him. If that continues maybe we can start actually getting prospects here that contribute consistently.

Reactions: Monstershockey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The candidates that I'm most drawn to right now are Malhotra, Boudreau, Gallant, and if he becomes available Brind'amour and maybe David Quinn.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If the Blue Jackets want to join those ranks — probably a minimum $3 million per season — three names jump to the top of the list:
  • Bruce Boudreau — has coached 984 NHL games with Washington, Anaheim and Minnesota before getting fired by the Wild on Feb. 14, 2020.
  • Gerard Gallant — coached the Blue Jackets during the dark ages of the franchise, but has since earned acclaim with his work in Florida and Vegas. Also considered a candidate with expansion Seattle.
  • Claude Julien — one of the NHL’s most respected coaches, Julien has worked 1,275 NHL games with Montreal (twice), New Jersey and Boston. He was fired on Feb. 24 by the Canadiens.
Here are several other candidates, listed alphabetically, with smaller expected price tags:
  • Jack Capuano — the former coach of the New York Islanders (2010-11 to 2016-17) is currently an associate coach with the Ottawa Senators.
  • Kevin Dineen — currently coaches AHL San Diego in the Anaheim organization, but Dineen has been a head coach in Florida and assistant coach in Chicago.
  • Rikard Grönborg — rose to acclaim as coach of the Swedish National Team in the Olympics, World Championships, World Cup, etc., and is clamoring for an NHL job. Currently coaching the ZSC Lions in the Swiss National League.
  • Benoit Groulx — has spent the last five seasons coaching in AHL Syracuse, the top affiliate of the Tampa Bay Lightning. Groulx has never coached in the NHL.
  • Jukka Jalonen — a well-traveled man, having coached in Finland, Italy, England and Russia, he’s most highly regarded as the Finnish national team coach.
  • Lane Lambert — first an AHL coach, then a longtime assistant to Barry Trotz at all three of Trotz’s NHL stops (Nashville, Washington and the New York Islanders).
  • Brad Larsen — has been with the Blue Jackets organization for more than a decade, first as AHL coach, but most recently as Tortorella’s top assistant.
  • Manny Malhotra — currently an assistant in Toronto, Malhotra is on a sharp trajectory. He’ll be an NHL head coach someday but may need head coaching experience elsewhere first.
  • Kirk Muller — has coached in the AHL and NHL (2011 to 2014 with Carolina), but has mostly been an NHL assistant coach; was fired in February, along with Julien, by Montreal.
  • Luke Richardson — the former Blue Jackets captain is overdue for an NHL job, having been a head coach in the AHL and a longtime NHL assistant with Montreal, Ottawa and the New York Islanders.
  • Brad Shaw — has been one of the NHL’s most respected assistants for some time now, including the last five years in Columbus, but has been passed over numerous times for head coaching jobs.
  • Rick Tocchet — it was announced on Sunday, that Tocchet will not return to Arizona after coaching the Coyotes the last four seasons. Also has head coaching experience in Tampa Bay.
  • Mike Vellucci — was 2019 AHL coach of the year in the Penguins organization, promoted to assistant coach in Pittsburgh this season,
  • Pascal Vincent — An assistant coach in Winnipeg for five years before becoming AHL Manitoba coach in 2016. He was named AHL coach of the year in 2018.
  • Geoff Ward — Coached extensively in Europe, but has been an NHL assistant with New Jersey and Calgary. Briefly head coach in Calgary, he was fired early this season after an 11-11-2 start by the Flames

Blue Jackets Sunday Gathering: Who follows John Tortorella as coach? Plus, a roster projection for 2021-22

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
Im skeptical of Gallant. Both his recent firings were weird, situations it didn’t look like needed a coach firing. That tells me there’s something wrong with him.

I was a huge fan of Manny, and would welcome him, but worry about his lack of experience. Would be a good assistant add. Portzy didn’t mention Mackenzie but I’d love to steal him from Florida as a new assistant. Let’s go crazy and have a full ex-CBJ bench. Or hire one of the Europeans and hand him Manny and Mack.

Reactions: Viqsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad