Speculation: Who Should we Draft with Nashville's Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Would it be possible to get a poll added to this thread with the options as players who are projected to go in the range the pick will be in? Would give us a better idea of who is the most popular option.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Guryanov
White
Erikson Ek
Boeser
DeBrusk
Chabot
Sprong
Harkins
Merkley
Chlapik
Beauvillier
Zboril

literally any of these guys would have me over the moon so many good options at that pick.

CalgaryLeaf*

Percy's a lefty. Has potential to be a 2nd-pairing D, if he can reach it. Has tons of smarts, looked very impressive in his first few NHL games. I'd probably want both 34 and 38 if we were moving him. That's unreasonable, but Percy has looked good at 21, I wouldn't move him on his own unless we were overpaid.

This rebuild is going to take a ton of patience...Percy might not be ready for at least two more years.

Nick Kronwall for instance, was drafted in '2000 and played his first full season for Detroit in 2006/2007

I'm not sure people realize how long this will take...lol

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
This rebuild is going to take a ton of patience...Percy might not be ready for at least two more years.

Nick Kronwall for instance, was drafted in '2000 and played his first full season for Detroit in 2006/2007

I'm not sure people realize how long this will take...lol

2 more years? He looked great in his stint this year.

We need to stop assuming that patience means purposely keeping guys who are ready away from the show. Percy should be a Leaf in 2015-16 no question. It's time for him to learn the rest in the NHL.

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
updated:

4 things have to happen to get to 21: (not likely)
WAS beats NYR
CAL beats ANA
DET beats TB
DET beats MON

2 things have to happen to get to 22: (likely)
WAS beats NYR
CAL beats ANA
DET beats TB and MON

1 thing has to happen to get to 23: (likely)
WAS beats NYR
CAL beats ANA
DET beats TB and MON

3 things have to happen to stay at 24: (likely)
NYR beats WAS
ANA beats CAL
TB or MON beats DET

21 ,22 and 23 are the same -___-

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Guryanov
White
Erikson Ek
Boeser
DeBrusk
Chabot
Sprong
Harkins
Merkley
Chlapik
Beauvillier
Zboril

literally any of these guys would have me over the moon so many good options at that pick.

We`re going to get a good player with the Nashville pick. There`s also a couple good Swedish defensemen in Kylington, Larsson and Carlsson.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
The exact player I was thinking of - Last year we really seemed to like these type of players for our mid round picks.

Our highest of the 3, being a player with only 4 pts on the year. Have never been a fan of these picks.

Our main dips into this area:
2nd pick:Matt Frattin (AJHL) - likely no more than AHLer
2nd pick:Jimmy Hayes (USHL) - Sell out
2nd pick:Kenny Ryan (USD) - no more than AHLer
1st pick: Tyler Biggs (USHL) - more and more like an AHLer/ECHler

Kenny Ryan and Tyler Biggs I agree with

It's not really impressive to make a point based on mis-information. Matt Frattin was drafted by the Leafs in the 4th round #99 overall. For a fourth round pick he's turned into a casual NHL'er and I feel that he was good value. He's paid dividends for our franchise as an honourable NHL/AHL player. His shot is valued on the Marlies and I really hope Nylander takes some power pointers

Jimmy Hayes isn't a sell-out, you're thinking of his brother Kevin Hayes. The Leafs traded Jimmy to the Hawks after they selected his brother. We had a great value pick in Jimmy Hayes, however, Burke elected to draft Brad Ross. I didn't really understand the move as the Leafs invested over two years of development into Jimmy just to move him

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
On Percy:
Why did he get sent down? From what I saw he looked extremely composed with puck and made good decisions when it was on his stick. I liked him more than I like Gardiner now. I missed a few games and next thing I know he's back on the Marlies.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I see us grabbing Hanifin at 4 and then taking a skilled, 2-way forward like White or Beauvillier. I'm really hoping this NSH pick could end up turning into a core player like a Giroux or Pacioretty.

I still can't believe this trade even happened, especially since Poille expressed his regret for doing it

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I see us grabbing Hanifin at 4 and then taking a skilled, 2-way forward like White or Beauvillier. I'm really hoping this NSH pick could end up turning into a core player like a Giroux or Pacioretty.

I still can't believe this trade even happened, especially since Poille expressed his regret for doing it

Hanifin and Eriksson Ek would be amazing.

NotSince67*

Kylington... defensive troubles... falling like a rock...

Subban was also so bad defensively he wasn't in the first round despite oozing offensive talent.

I'm not saying Kylington is Subban or anything. But he's definitely a swing at the fences. Seems pretty boom or bust. Maybe a late first type of pick but definitely teams picking 31-45 will take him after already added a good pick in the first round.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
If we manage to get Hanifin with #4, and then get someone like Jeremy Roy with Nashville's pick, our defense would be set for the future. And not like in the early 2000s, when many here believed we were set with the likes of Colaiacovo, Bell, White, Harrison and Kronwall.

Of all the players I've watched a good amount of this season, Roy is the one guy where I just can't understand why most rank him so low. If he's available with Nashville's pick, it's a no brainer for me.

Rielly, Hanifin and the Roy could very easily be 3/4 of a great top-4 down the road. Then we just need one of Percy, Valiev, Finn, Nilsson, Granberg and Loov to turn into a top-4 quality player, maybe throw in a couple veteran UFAs, and we could finally have a defense group that isn't the laughingstock of the league for a change.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
On Percy:
Why did he get sent down? From what I saw he looked extremely composed with puck and made good decisions when it was on his stick. I liked him more than I like Gardiner now. I missed a few games and next thing I know he's back on the Marlies.

We were running 7D at the time, he was the odd man out.

He was injured on the Marlies and hasn't been as good as he was at the start of the year, which is why I'd be ok with keeping him down there for at least the start of next year too. But if he has another training camp like the last one then I see no reason to keep him off the team.

NotSince67*

2 more years? He looked great in his stint this year.

We need to stop assuming that patience means purposely keeping guys who are ready away from the show. Percy should be a Leaf in 2015-16 no question. It's time for him to learn the rest in the NHL.

Kind of. He played well at first but his play did trail off. I'm not sure he's a bondafide NHLer at this point. He's shown he's capable but I think ideally he still is somewhat of a tweener. He still has his ofseason ahead of him, and has hopefully developed more during the course of the season, both which will help him compete for a spot this fall.

IMO though Loov is right there with him if he hasn't already passed Percy on the depth chart. Loov does really have the right game to be an NHL defender. He doesn't seem to have too many weaknesses in his game and is a good all-around defender with some physicality and size.

I can see Loov making decisions difficult for the Leafs brass in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad