NHL Entry Draft Who should we draft if we get our 2 picks between #4 and #6

Who should we draft if we get our 2 picks between #4 and #6?

• Total voters

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Assuming that Lafreniere, Byfield and Stutzle are our consensus top-3, who should we draft if we get 2 picks between #4 and #6?

Note : I know that as of right now, it's impossible to say what will happen considering the situation and everything, but we currently hold the 2nd and 3rd last spots, meaning that if the season is shortened and they go with the current standings or Pts %, the worst we could draft is #5 and #6.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Seriously I don't know... I'd need to see some arguments to help me make the decision.

Really like Raymond but all of Holtz, Rossi, Perfetti and Lundell are enticing too

Drysdale is the best D-man in the draft. A Chabot-Drysdale pairing could be insane... Seriously, if the Sens have #4 and #5 for example, I have a hard time seeing the Sens passing on Drysdale. It would mean a potentially incredible D squad (but someday way too expensive)

Chabot-Drysdale
Brannstrom-Thomson
Wolanin-JBD

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Seriously I don't know... I'd need to see some arguments to help me make the decision.

Really like Raymond but all of Holtz, Rossi, Perfetti and Lundell are enticing too

Drysdale is the best D-man in the draft. A Chabot-Drysdale pairing could be insane... Seriously, if the Sens have #4 and #5 for example, I have a hard time seeing the Sens passing on Drysdale. It would mean a potentially incredible D squad (but someday way too expensive)

Chabot-Drysdale
Brannstrom-Thomson
Wolanin-JBD
Tom Wilson will have a field day on that defence as will all the other big forwards in the league like OV, Malkin, Mathews, Stone, Krieder etc..... they won't be able to stop anyone, but hey they're elite.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Tom Wilson will have a field day on that defence as will all the other big forwards in the league like OV, Malkin, Mathews, Stone, Krieder etc..... they won't be able to stop anyone, but hey they're elite.

I think your biggest problem is you've become entrenched in your beliefs and feel like everyone is against you and is wrong, and it is you against the world. This clouds your judgement and makes it difficult for you to see reason or think clearly about the subject.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Passing on Drysdale because we have Chabot is a mistake if he's BPA.

I'm loving that we'll have 2 top 5 picks, and likely a pick around 15OA for a dropper/late bloomer pick.

I'm almost half hoping we stay at 2OA just to force us to take Byfield and gamble for that elusive franchise C, but obviously won't be mad if we win 1OA. Obiously picking 4 and 6 would suck. Thankfully it's not that likely to happen.

The odds of picking 6th (15.2%) less likely than moving up to 1 (25%), staying at 2 (24.3%) or keeping 3 (23.4%). So cumulatively, we have a 72.7% chance of picking in the top 3, with our next likely pick to be 5th (68.6%).
I don't know if my math is right, but the odds of us picking top 2 (25 + 24.3) x 68.6 and then 5th is therefore about 33.8%. Odds of us picking 3rd and 5th, are 23.4 x 68.6 = 16%. Odds of us picking 4th and 5th are (33.3 + 13.2) x 68.6 = 31.9%

So in a altogether, we're probably going to pick top 3 and 5th but stand alone math, most likely odds are 4th and 5th (31.9%). Odds of worst at 4 + 6 (7.1%) and 5 + 6 9 (10%) or together, 17.1% chance we don't pick higher at than 4OA.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think your biggest problem is you've become entrenched in your beliefs and feel like everyone is against you and is wrong, and it is you against the world. This clouds your judgement and makes it difficult for you to see reason or think clearly about the subject.
I think your biggest problem is that you like so many only consider pts & offence & are clearly blinded from that fact that you need guys who can also prevent goals against. This clouds your judgement & makes it difficult for you to see reason or think clearly about the subject.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
I think your biggest problem is that you like so many only consider pts & offence & are clearly blinded from that fact that you need guys who can also prevent goals against. This clouds your judgement & makes it difficult for you to see reason or think clearly about the subject.

No sir. I'm very willing to consider every different side of a debate, and don't get hostile and defensive about my positions so easily. I, like a lot of folks, tend to agree with your general idea that a team needs a combination of size and skill to win, but you just say a lot of stupid and contentious things (like this post), so it is difficult for anyone to take you seriously.

Please try actually reading some of my posts, and then you can talk to me about whether I only consider points and offense.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No sir. I'm very willing to consider every different side of a debate, and don't get hostile and defensive about my positions so easily. I, like a lot of folks, tend to agree with your general idea that a team needs a combination of size and skill to win, but you just say a lot of stupid and contentious things (like this post), so it is difficult for anyone to take you seriously.

Please try actually reading some of my posts, and then you can talk to me about whether I only consider points and offense.
I've read numerous posts by you & don't recall you putting much importance on defensive hockey at all. Nor do I recall you considering players who stand in front of the net, crash the net, drops the gloves or block shots as being important at all in your assessments & we have had debates about that before. And point to where I have ever tried to disparage anything personal about you. I have not, I try not to call what people post as stupid just because I don't agree with it, everyone has an opinion whether you agree with it or not.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
I've read numerous posts by you & don't recall you putting much importance on defensive hockey at all. Nor do I recall you considering players who stand in front of the net, crash the net, drops the gloves or block shots as being important at all in your assessments & we have had debates about that before. And point to where I have ever tried to disparage anything personal about you. I have not, I try not to call what people post as stupid just because I don't agree with it, everyone has an opinion whether you agree with it or not.

Read more.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don't think Aragorn is the one with the problem.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Is there any case to be made to trade up into the top 3 if we have two between 4 and 6? And what pick do we do it for, and what pick would others give it up for?

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Would love a Raymond-Holtz duo to add to a Tkachuk-Norris duo. Slot Brown and Batherson in accordingly.

I voted Rossi/Drysdale though cause I see the sens loving those two guys more than the rest.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I think with Ottawa having the ability to scout Rossi more than anyone else, they will have very little issue drafting him as high as 4 if necessary.

They passed on Konecny (along with other teams) due to his size and concerns about how durable he could be, where as Rossi is built like a bulldog. In his first in the O, he put up better numbers than Konecny did in his draft year, so if you are looking at potential output, you have to think he could be a PPG+ player.

I think my preference would be Drysdale + Rossi, but I could see Ottawa packaging the NYI pick + some 2nds to take Sanderson. (LHD, American, committed to ND)

Either way, something like:

Rossi, Drysdale, Quinn
Or
Rossi, Holtz, Sanderson

Would be incredible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad