Who should the Leafs start in the playoffs?(if the goal is to win)

Who should the Leafs start in the playoffs?

• Ilya Samsonov

Votes: 40 37.0%
  • Joseph Woll

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Martin Jones

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Matt Murray

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • Dennis Hildeby

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Just strap some pads on Mitch Marner or John Tavares, it wont make a difference with this system

Votes: 15 13.9%

• Total voters

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Murray is now skating and practicing with the team. What seemed like the least likely scenario is now getting more intriguing for the Leafs due to a shaky performance from Samsonov to start the season, Woll having issues coming back from injury, and Jones putting up debatably the strongest stretch of any Leafs goalie (I know that's a bit like calling Zetterland a top goalscorer, but still) We know Murray, despite his recent struggles is a former cup winner and if healthy and clear of mind might be able to get it done again.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Odd title.
Why wouldn't the goal be to win?

I was trying to avoid, "I'm a <insert random team name here> fan, so I think they should start <goalie they perceive to suck>!" type post.

From another perspective someone may say "The Leafs should start Woll as he's the future and Samy won't be back next season. It's not like we're winning a series anyway"

Reactions: banks

Crow

May 19, 2014
Can they fit Murray in under the cap or would he have to come in cold in game 1?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Can they fit Murray in under the cap or would he have to come in cold in game 1?
Samsonov starts.

I got laughed at for suggesting Murray could be healthy for playoffs. That’s why he didn’t have surgery in off season but waited until October, so he could spend the season on LTIR.
Was told reason was he didn’t want to ruin his summer, by rehabbing.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I must admit I’m surprised that Woll has such a commanding lead. He looked promising going into this season but his injuries and inconsistent play are concerning. I suppose the others aren’t amazing choices either though.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I was trying to avoid, "I'm a <insert random team name here> fan, so I think they should start <goalie they perceive to suck>!" type post.

From another perspective someone may say "The Leafs should start Woll as he's the future and Samy won't be back next season. It's not like we're winning a series anyway"
Teams don't think this way and every team is starting the goalie they think that will give them the best shot to win.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Sammy is one of the most unclutch NHLers I've ever seen. Maybe that will change some day but I wouldn't want him starting for my team in an important game.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If you asked me before the season, I'd say Woll. I'd still pick Woll but it's closer now because Woll missed like half the season due to injury and hasn't found his groove yet.

The problem with Samsonov is he's too erratic. He's got a ton of athleticism but he's never positionally sound. You'll see him let in a weak goal short side that he should stop and then he'll slide across the crease for a highlight reel 2 on 0 save. On scrambles Samsonov always ends up on his back and seems to panic.

Woll is the opposite, he plays bigger. He's more positionally sound and usually covering what he should cover. However, he's not tracking the puck as well as he should. He loses it when it's behind the net or it comes through a screen.

Either way, with the Leafs first round opponent likely having a Vezina winner in net they'll once again be at a disadvantage in net.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If you asked me before the season, I'd say Woll. I'd still pick Woll but it's closer now because Woll missed like half the season due to injury and hasn't found his groove yet.

The problem with Samsonov is he's too erratic. He's got a ton of athleticism but he's never positionally sound. You'll see him let in a weak goal short side that he should stop and then he'll slide across the crease for a highlight reel 2 on 0 save. On scrambles Samsonov always ends up on his back and seems to panic.

Woll is the opposite, he plays bigger. He's more positionally sound and usually covering what he should cover. However, he's not tracking the puck as well as he should. He loses it when it's behind the net or it comes through a screen.

Either way, with the Leafs first round opponent likely having a Vezina winner in net they'll once again be at a disadvantage in net.

I want to agree with this and sort of do to an extent but I think I’m leaning towards Samsonov now. His play has improved over the course of the season and Woll hasn’t had enough time back yet to return to form, but it’s still possible that will come in time for the playoffs. Either way I’m not overly confident in either of them at the moment.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'd go Woll; he has been the Leafs best goalie this year. Samsonov isnt there next year, so give the net to Woll now. If he cant find his footing by end of year, the team is screwed anyway

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Praying.

Hilldeby isn't ready but he's definitely got the size and has looked good in the AHL in the times I've seen him.

Unfortunately he might be ready when it's too late.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Goaltending doesn’t matter. If Me First Matthews, Big Money Mitch, No Where to be Found Nylander, and Too Slow Tavares don’t have the heart to play playoff hockey. The Leafs can have their media blame the goaltending, coach, bottom 6 players or UFA to be as they always do but at the end of the day you put your money into your best players to be your best players. Matthews can’t just be sitting on the bench booking tee times for a round. If they finally do show up then they will be in for a deep run. It has to happen eventually…..probably.

• Haha
Reactions: authentic

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I can't believe I'm picking Samsonov. But I am.

He's been the most consistent and reliable he's ever been since the AHL reset. And I believe he can handle the job. I would still like an upgrade in net in the offseason. But with what they have now, I'd pick Samsonov.

Reactions: authentic

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I guess Woll?

There isn't really a great option there, but I also think that the it comes down to the forwards actually playing well in the playoffs which they haven't really been able to do.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Samsonov .... The only goalie to win them a round in 20 years.

Seems like a very obvious choice. Especially with how inconsistent Woll has been.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Ride Woll until he breaks. When healthy he's proven to be the best of the bunch.

Samsonov has had more than enough chances to show he sucks in the playoffs.

But really it doesn't matter. Even Carey Price in net wouldn't be able to convince these loser forwards to give a shit

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Woll is the future Leaf King.

When you're surrounded by garbage, the freshest garbage smells the best and draws fewer flies.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I'm very surprised Woll is leading this.

- While Sammy had serious issues (& in his head) early on he's rebounded impressively with a .922 save % over his last 5 starts (4 of 5 "quality" starts) while Woll has been pretty inconsistent lately.
- Woll has a grand total of 37 appearances in his career (including post-season). Sammy is no veteran but he's got more experience.
- Samsonov is the starter unless he either slips back into early-season form and/or Woll plays like Hasek 2.0.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I chose Matt Murray for the lawls.. what a silly poll.

They should (and likely will) start Samsonov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad