Prospect Info: Who should the Jets draft - social isolation edition

Which prospect should the Jets pick in the 1st round, if all are available?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Probably, but just based on how the board stacks up it seems rational to trade down from #10 to #13 if Sanderson or Rossi aren't available at #10, and the return from Carolina is good.

Carolina would likely give us 13 and an additional 2nd, I'd imagine. they have their own and the Rangers 2nd. If and it's a big if the Jets still think they can get a good player after two more picks.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Carolina would likely give us 13 and an additional 2nd, I'd imagine. they have their own and the Rangers 2nd. If and it's a big if the Jets still think they can get a good player after two more picks.
Since the Canes would move up to draft a goalie, the Jets really only drop down two spots. Unless Sanderson is available at #10, there will be a very similar group available at #13 as at #10.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I'm really excited about this draft for the Jets.

Sanderson will be the choice.
But if he is not there. A lot of good quality players will be on board.

He will help, while on ELC and Heinola when Jets are cup contender again in 3-4 years :DD

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm really excited about this draft for the Jets.

Sanderson will be the choice.
But if he is not there. A lot of good quality players will be on board.

He will while on ELC and Heinola when Jets are cup contender again in 3-4 years :DD

I'd be surprised if only one defenseman is drafted in the top 9. Sanderson probably goes 7,8,9. Boy we need that centre this draft. Perfetti and Lundell are within our range. If we end up with one of the RWs in this draft, I wouldn't be mad because Laine could be traded within 2 years, which is an opening.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I'd be surprised if only one defenseman is drafted in the top 9. Sanderson probably goes 7,8,9. Boy we need that centre this draft. Perfetti and Lundell are within our range. If we end up with one of the RWs in this draft, I wouldn't be mad because Laine could be traded within 2 years, which is an opening.

Now i'm praying for Perfetti or Lundell if Sandersson is gone ;)

One of those 3 have a very big chance of being available, specially if Askarov sneaks in the top 10

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Since the Canes would move up to draft a goalie, the Jets really only drop down two spots. Unless Sanderson is available at #10, there will be a very similar group available at #13 as at #10.

Its really going to come down to the Jets board, who they have ranked where, and what is available at #10. I am sure Chevy would listen if the Rangers 2nd and #13 is being offered for #10 “under the right circumstances”. However my guy is telling me the Jets will like what they see at #10.

It’s very far off now!

Reactions: hn777

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If the draft board follows the pattern below (i.e. Sanderson, etc are not an option), what would you want the Jets to do?

1) Draft Lundell as the hoped-for 2C
2) Draft Quinn (future top-scoring RW to replace Wheeler or Laine).
3) Draft a wild-card riser that the Jets really like (e.g. Jarvis, Guhle, Mercer, Lapierre)
4) Trade down to #13-15 and add another 2nd round pick, then select BPA (Jarvis, Guhle, Mercer, Lapierre, Schneider)

What do you think they would do?

1 NYR - Lafreniere
2 LAK - Byfield
3 OTT - Stutzle
4 DET - Perfetti
5 OTT - Drysdale
6 ANA - Raymond
7 NJD - Sanderson
8 BUF - Holtz
9 MIN - Rossi
10 WPG - ???

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Its really going to come down to the Jets board, who they have ranked where, and what is available at #10. I am sure Chevy would listen if the Rangers 2nd and #13 is being offered for #10 “under the right circumstances”. However my guy is telling me the Jets will like what they see at #10.

It’s very far off now!
Pssst... how's your "guy" connected to the Jets?

I like that they like what they see at #10. It either means that they would be happy with Lundell, or they have another player that they really like (Quinn? Lapierre? Jarvis? Guhle? Schneider? Mercer?)

Reactions: ps241

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If the draft board follows the pattern below (i.e. Sanderson, etc are not an option), what would you want the Jets to do?

3) Draft a wild-card riser that the Jets really like (e.g. Jarvis, Guhle, Mercer, Lapierre)
4) Trade down to #13-15 and add another 2nd round pick, then select BPA (Jarvis, Guhle, Mercer, Lapierre, Schneider)

1 NYR - Lafreniere
2 LAK - Byfield
3 OTT - Stutzle
4 DET - Perfetti
5 OTT - Drysdale
6 ANA - Raymond
7 NJD - Sanderson
8 BUF - Holtz
9 MIN - Rossi
10 WPG - ???

I'd opt for trading down but I just don't see the Jets doing that. 3 picks later and Askarov off the board at 10 means only 2 more picks. Nashville and Florida pick in that range. No idea where they will go. I'd need to have an idea of what they are after to know.

Reactions: untouchable21

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pssst... how's your "guy" connected to the Jets?

I like that they like what they see at #10. It either means that they would be happy with Lundell, or they have another player that they really like (Quinn? Lapierre? Jarvis? Guhle? Schneider? Mercer?)

Hmm I am not sure what I was getting at there?

On another note I thought I would go back to the Black Book 2017 and review what they thought of Nick Suzuki at the time. The reviews were a bit shorter and sweeter back then compared to this year. They listed him at 5'10 1/2 and said:

very high skill in all areas

He was a little too inconsistent from game to game and wouldn't show up some nights.

Gentlemanly to a fault and there was a fear he wouldn't engage enough physically at the next level on the forecheck etc

Really smart player that could be used in all situations.

Three different scouts said "he was not dynamic enough and didn't bring you out of your seat" and that had some scouts pretty Luke warm on him considering his high skill and numbers.

More than one scout thought he would probably play wing in the NHL.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

1 NYR - Lafreniere
2 LAK - Byfield
3 OTT - Stutzle
4 DET - Perfetti
5 OTT - Drysdale
6 ANA - Raymond
7 NJD - Sanderson
8 BUF - Holtz
9 MIN - Rossi
10 WPG - ???

I think that you`ve set this choice out nicely. Can`t know what they will do ,of course, but I am intrigued by the 2nd choice -draft Quinn.There are some who believe that Quinn is under-rated and would be a good choice anytime after the top three It wouldn`t surprise me terribly if the Jets also had him rated very high, and clearly BPA in this draft scenario. Few of us see RW as a position of critical importance to Chevy from a team building point-of view, but with the drama surrounding Laine`s future, and the option of shifting Wheeler from RW to C,this may not be true. Securing Quinn would give Chevy so much more flexibility going forward.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

1 NYR - Lafreniere
2 LAK - Byfield
3 OTT - Stutzle
4 DET - Perfetti
5 OTT - Drysdale
6 ANA - Raymond
7 NJD - Sanderson
8 BUF - Holtz
9 MIN - Rossi
10 WPG - ???

Can totally see that happening, with the goalie jumping in as a top 10 surprise at some point.

I think the Jets want to build their D up through the draft and at #10, will take either Sanderson or Guhle. Both play similar styles, and have offensive potential, but at worst will be a physical, shutdown dman who can effectively move the puck. Sanderson is better at moving the puck, IMO, but Guhle may be more physical. I still have a feeling Guhle is the pick, if he’s there.

Then if Samberg and one of the dmen at 10, reach their potential, they have a very nice d for the future with Heinola.

I would be surprised with a winger at 10. And I’m not sure there will be a game changing C there, that isn’t a bit of a more risky pick (Lapierre, Rossi, Lundell, Holloway or Jarvis).

I would also think Chevy will try to get back into the first round to maybe take that risky C pick in the 20’s. A guy like Lapierre Or Holloway could work out very well for the Jets down the road.

Watching video on Lundell a bit more, I don’t think he’s the pick. Like @ps241, I have reservations about him and I’m not sure he will be much more than a defensive-minded 3C. They are important, but we have Gus. He’ll be 19 when he’s drafted, and just seems to lack ‘something’. I’d rather the Jets take a good d prospect at 10, and a bit of a flier on another C later in the 1st. That flier would likely be a 3C at worst as well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that you`ve set this choice out nicely. Can`t know what they will do ,of course, but I am intrigued by the 2nd choice -draft Quinn.There are some who believe that Quinn is under-rated and would be a good choice anytime after the top three It wouldn`t surprise me terribly if the Jets also had him rated very high, and clearly BPA in this draft scenario. Few of us see RW as a position of critical importance to Chevy from a team building point-of view, but with the drama surrounding Laine`s future, and the option of shifting Wheeler from RW to C,this may not be true. Securing Quinn would give Chevy so much more flexibility going forward.
I think Quinn might be a very good choice. According to some "insiders" he has very high value in the view of some NHL teams. A few 3rd party ratings have him well inside the top 10, and being rated at #10 (ahead of Lundell) on McKenzie's list indicates that he has very strong support in NHL circles.

For the Jets, he would give them another top end scoring talent, but he also plays a more aggressive and physical game than some of our current forwards. If Laine is traded, he's a logical successor as the right side sniper and PP triggerman. If not, he slides into Wheeler's role.

Reactions: ecolad

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think Quinn might be a very good choice. According to some "insiders" he has very high value in the view of some NHL teams. A few 3rd party ratings have him well inside the top 10, and being rated at #10 (ahead of Lundell) on McKenzie's list indicates that he has very strong support in NHL circles.

For the Jets, he would give them another top end scoring talent, but he also plays a more aggressive and physical game than some of our current forwards. If Laine is traded, he's a logical successor as the right side sniper and PP triggerman. If not, he slides into Wheeler's role.
Perhaps, but then we likely would see a winger moved. May not be Laine, as PM has also suggested longer term Laine could play LW.

I wonder if we see a Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler line a bit more this coming year? Though their chemistry and performance has not been up to par in the past, maybe they can mesh with an improved Laine. It satisfies a couple of situations. Wheeler playing with Scheifele and Laine on 1st line.

Then, Connor and Ehlers could play with a new C pickup or try Copp or Roslovic there. Little would likely work well there, but it’s doubtful he’ll play next year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Perhaps, but then we likely would see a winger moved. May not be Laine, as PM has also suggested longer term Laine could play LW.

I wonder if we see a Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler line a bit more this coming year? Though their chemistry and performance has not been up to par in the past, maybe they can mesh with an improved Laine. It satisfies a couple of situations. Wheeler playing with Scheifele and Laine on 1st line.

Then, Connor and Ehlers could play with a new C pickup or try Copp or Roslovic there. Little would likely work well there, but it’s doubtful he’ll play next year.
I could see Laine being moved to LW if Wheeler stays at RW and the Jets have another top-end RW. I could also see Wheeler shifting to C.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

Agree. He also is seemingly very ready to transition to the pros shortly after the draft. No need to wait years for him to mature physically. He would fit pretty nicely into a plan which contemplates taking a year or two as a "reset" period to integrate our top youth into the lineup. He not only plays a more aggressive and physical game than some of our current forwards, he clearly creates time/space/opportunity on his own. He will be a "line driver" , which will be advantageous whether he plays on either the first or second line.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Why? Do they think Nashville takes a goalie cuz Florida wont at 12 as they did last year. Carolina trades up for no reason?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Why? Do they think Nashville takes a goalie cuz Florida wont at 12 as they did last year. Carolina trades up for no reason?
Chevy's smarter than that... there are a few teams that would have an interest in moving up to #10 for Askarov... Carolina, Edmonton, maybe Toronto, Chicago, NJ. Even if the Jets pass on Askarov, Carolina runs the risk that Nashville or Florida trade down a few spots with another team targeting Askarov. Carolina might see the need to move up to #10 to make sure they get him.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Reading the Athletic ratings today, and to me it looks like after the first 5 or so, there could be some unexpected risers and fallers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Reading the Athletic ratings today, and to me it looks like after the first 5 or so, there could be some unexpected risers and fallers.
These are just guesses by beat reporters, and many of them don't have a hot clue about the prospects, and they certainly don't know who their teams will be selecting.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I've watched a few Lundell games and honestly... I don't see it. I dont think that's a Jets type of pick.

I think Sanderson Quinn and Mercer are all Jets type picks. Guys who got better as the year went along.. Guys who maybe aren't getting much press but all risers through the year.

I do think they move a Roslo or someone for another pick and i do think they get a 1st back.. Maybe somewhere between 22 and 28.

Reactions: Bob E and John Agar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad