Speculation: Who Should The Devils Target In Free Agency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Butcher ended the season on the top pairing with Vatanen in the playoffs.

The time to protect him is over, especially with Greene struggling.
Butcher looked fine for Team USA at World Championships. They even gave him some PK time.

Greene can't physically handle the top pairing minutes. Butcher is a better player at any point in Greene's career, and would be a better option for the top pair even if he struggles at times. Better than watching a guy do nothing but block shots and f*** up the offense every shift.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
To be honest I wouldn't mind if there are no more moves this off-season. We have so many young players who could make steps forward, plus Mojo who was injured most of last year, plus Yakovlev who has won a world championship plus a Gagarin Cup plus an Olympic gold medal. We're bound to have some improvements.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
To be honest I wouldn't mind if there are no more moves this off-season. We have so many young players who could make steps forward, plus Mojo who was injured most of last year, plus Yakovlev who has won a world championship plus a Gagarin Cup plus an Olympic gold medal. We're bound to have some improvements.

IMO, we make no moves (signings or significant trades) we don’t make the playoffs next year. We barely made the playoffs last year and were reliant on guys having a career year, including our best player having a year of a lifetime.

And outside a couple of young players already on the roster like Nico and Butcher we really don’t have much in the pipeline.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yakapov cole Calvert? lol see ya hall in two years

I get there aren’t any sexy ufa but it stings

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ

No offense, but weak take.

Odds of Taylor Hall having as phenomenal a season again and literally dragging the Devils into the playoffs - doubtful.

Metro is getting better. Devils are losing Moore on the back end (not a huge loss) and probably Maroon up front. We're getting worse this offseason without any significant additions.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I appreciate the OP’s thoughts, and someone like Calvin De Haan would make sense, but Shero needs to be in the business of acquiring impact players, not fillers or reclamation projects like Yakupov (some guys are just busts). Of course, I understand those guys aren’t easy to get, but anything less at this stage and we’re just spinning our wheels.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
IMO, we make no moves (signings or significant trades) we don’t make the playoffs next year. We barely made the playoffs last year and were reliant on guys having a career year, including our best player having a year of a lifetime.

And outside a couple of young players already on the roster like Nico and Butcher we really don’t have much in the pipeline.

outside of Hall and Gibbons, who had a "career" year? aka won't be able to at least duplicate that year again

my God some of ya'lls takes are scorching

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I'm a bit scared now that if we have lost out on JVR, we are going to overpay to keep Maroon.

Something like offering Maroon the Ryane Clowe deal - 5 years @ $4.8m.

Too much?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I appreciate the OP’s thoughts, and someone like Calvin De Haan would make sense, but Shero needs to be in the business of acquiring impact players, not fillers or reclamation projects like Yakupov (some guys are just busts). Of course, I understand those guys aren’t easy to get, but anything less at this stage and we’re just spinning our wheels.

That’s the tricky part. A DeHahn for two years is fine as would any other UFA but anyone who is likely to make an obvious impact is probably going to require a four or five year term. Hopefully by then guys like Bratt Anderson McLeod Zacha Boquist or maybe even Zetterlund have made the leap to the top six. At that point you don’t want anchor contracts. Nothing earth shattering and many NJ fans have discussed these concepts but as always some folks think in the short term.

Reactions: nugg

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No offense, but weak take.

Odds of Taylor Hall having as phenomenal a season again and literally dragging the Devils into the playoffs - doubtful.

Metro is getting better. Devils are losing Moore on the back end (not a huge loss) and probably Maroon up front. We're getting worse this offseason without any significant additions.

Losing Moore and Maroon is not getting worse. I agree with your sentiment and wouldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs. But it won't be because of losing Moore and Maroon or missing out on JvR.

Reactions: My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm a bit scared now that if we have lost out on JVR, we are going to overpay to keep Maroon.

Something like offering Maroon the Ryane Clowe deal - 5 years @ $4.8m.

Too much?

Way too much. I'd sooner give Grabs that deal, and I don't have any interest in giving Grabs that deal.

The Rochester Rocket

Feb 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Pretty obvious Greene needs to be playing less minutes. I’m all for Ian Cole or CdH but if we miss out on them, I’d be in on Dan Hamhuis on a 2 year deal. Played 80 games averaging 20 mins, 3 goals and 19 even strength assists to boot.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If we signed Cole or de Haan would Mueller just not play? Greene or Butcher aren’t going anywhere so that leaves one spot on the left side.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oh good, another year of "Why is Santini in the minors? Hynes you incompetent fool!".
My prediction for a while has been that Santini starts the season on the NHL roster, but isn't an every night player, unless there are some injuries at the start of the season.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad