Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Link me it.
I'm looking. I'll let you know if I find it.

Did find this right away though.

"With the 7th overall pick. We got our guy. We truly got our guy. That was one of the main things we wanted to do today was get Kevin Korchinski. [...] The combination of size, skating."

That's a man who covets Sam Dickinson

• Haha
Reactions: TLEH

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I believe in considering need even if others don’t.

I don’t believe in considering “next year’s draft” which can change and depends on uncertain factors.
Looking at next year’s draft is always dumb. You got guys on nobody’s radar who are going to shoot through the rankings next year. Korchinski wasn’t a projected first rounder going into his draft year. We simply don’t have the foresight to know how that’s going to happen. Especially because some of these guys still grow in height until they’re 20-21.

I personally believe Demidov is the most talented, so I pick him. It does help the our D prospects are coming along very nicely.

Seth Jones (6’4) and Alex Vlasic (6’6) is a very nice top pairing. Kevin Korchinski (6’2) has a ton of tools and had his moments in an unenviable situation. Del Mastro (6’4) played so well in Rockford that he got a late call up from Rockford and seems to be in the plans in the near future. Nolan Allan (6’2) won rookie of the year for Rockford and management is extremely high on him. Sam Rinzel (6’4) had a great college year and appears to be coming along nicely. Even Wyatt Kaiser is only 6’0 bounced back in the second half and has a decent chance of making the team even next year.

So if the tiebreaker is based on need, then I feel very confident in the defensemen we have, we desperately need a high end forward for the pool.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
You're picking two this year. You don't know what you end up with in UFA. You don't know where you finish in the standings. You don't know how 16 and 17 year olds will develop over the 2024-2025 season. You don't know how your own organization will change. I find it extremely hard to believe the 2025 Draft is a topic at the 2024 draft.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
You're picking two this year. You don't know what you end up with in UFA. You don't know where you finish in the standings. You don't know how 16 and 17 year olds will develop over the 2024-2025 season. You don't know how your own organization will change. I find it extremely hard to believe the 2025 Draft is a topic at the 2024 draft.
I’ll open the Kimono for you.
1)I do know what we’ll get in UFA. 18-28 Million worth of forwards. By rule.
2) we will finish in the lottery.
3) I don’t know which 16 and 17 year olds will be good, but i can guarantee 16 of them will be good to great hockey players.
4) what will change in the org? Like Davidson fired? Or with prospects? If you’re talking about with prospects I’ll look in my crystal ball and… wow 2-3 forwards vaulted up the charts with huge seasons. 2-3 got hurt. 2-3 sucked.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I don't even know why we are talking about this big hole on defense.

Vlasic has quickly become a premier shutdown guy in just his first real season and was listed as the 2nd best shutdown defender in the league by The Athletic a month ago. The one guy who finished 1st is a decade older than him.

Korchinski struggled, but he was the youngest defenseman in the league and belonged (but was unable to play in) the AHL. A recent 7th overall pick with skating and size.

Del Mastro played his first pro season with Rockford this year and was their representative for the AHL All Star Game.

Rinzel is a huge wild card, but he's got a lot of tools. And in his first season in college, he had the highest plus/minus on the team; a stat that I've been told on the main boards by Brock Faber fans is hugely important.

We still got Seth Jones for the foreseeable future. Sorry to report, he isn't being moved for Marner.

Maybe none of them ever become a perennial top 15 defenseman in the league, but we aren't exactly weak on defense for the future. And we still have a lot of draft capital that can go to improving it even more.

What we don't have is a forward that can hold Bedard's jock strap. That's a much more significant need IMO.

If we draft Levshunov, fine. But it better be because the scouting department feels he's BPA, and not because he 'fills a need' or 'the 2025 draft sucks for defensemen, so lets waste our 2nd overall on one'.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Bedard needs 0 help. He needs the puck on his stick in the offensive zone. He gets that by never being in his defensive zone. Bonus points if those D are excellent stretch passers (korchinski profiles as such).

In fact, committing any significant cap dollars or draft picks to find him a linemate is misallocation of resources. If you draft Demidov it’s to drive his own bus. Bedard can drag his own line to 100 points in prime

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I've gone back to look at interviews and such from the 2022 draft and I'm seeing nothing from Davidson about picking Korchinski and Rinzel because they were forecasting the 2023 draft to be forward heavy.

@belfour30 will have to provide receipts.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Who knows but his style fits perfectly with Bedard. Elite playmaker who fights for loose pucks etc and has skill level close to Connor.
Average speed. Not big. Not physical.

Bedard's wingers should be fast, big, and physical.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I've gone back to look at interviews and such from the 2022 draft and I'm seeing nothing from Davidson about picking Korchinski and Rinzel because they were forecasting the 2023 draft to be forward heavy.

@belfour30 will have to provide receipts.
I wasn't making this up, I heard it straight from KD himself. Maybe go through the draft videos from 2022?

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
That's exactly what I said I did. It's literally in the text you quoted.

But apparently you personally heard it from KD himself. I didn't realize you two were so close. My apologies.
Maybe it was a media interview?
I know I heard him say it somewhere.
I'm not just making this up I'd have no reason to.

Mjul Qvist

Nov 28, 2009

What he lacks he can replace with his smarts. And he is, believe it or not versatile player. He fights for a loose pucks and is always moving. And there are rumours that he is 6-1 already. Not saying that he should be playing with Bedsy (well in pp he should) but his style fits there. There is an other wing spot on a line and that could be someone big and physical also.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I wasn't making this up, I heard it straight from KD himself. Maybe go through the draft videos from 2022?
To be fair, I remember something from either KD or Doneghey (don't remember which) saying this.

But I honestly don't care enough to go looking for it.

What if we got Dylan Strome back to play LW?

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68 and belfour30

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
Michkov is better and he went much lower. Can't rationalize taking Demidov at 2.

Im leaning Buium after watching some videos.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
This draft has lots of RD who can be a 2RD or a 3RD if Rinzel isxa 2RD...Nobody replaces $9.5 (the vontract) forv6 ...count em...6 more seasons as 1RD...this isxwhy despesitevyour love hom or still gave questions on his ceiling re: Levshunov...You do not waste a#2on just ax2RD..

Levshunov is not as important (nor is any RD) as fixing the lack of a big physical but also talented 2C to balance the top 2 lines from being too small. We of course also need big physical butcalso capable of scoring wingers to compliment Bedard on his line.

We do need a 2RD to replace the awful Connor Barfy...but as I said we can draft that either at #20 or even in round 2 at #34 and #54..

Tgevprblem is the Seth Jones is #1RD for 6 morexseadobs before any other RD gets a crack at that roke..It is reality..Thus you cannot waste takibg a RD who can onlyvaspirextp 2RD at the highest ceiling as long as the start of 7 seadonscfron now.. It woukd be a ridiculous waste when a 2C fit (Lindstrom) is staring you in the face.

In my opinion a Lindstrom is going to beca monsters handle...Already so big and strong at his age..imagine him i a few years.

These opportunities to balance the front lines do not come often..Hawks NEED a 2C solution (Big physical cebter who can score) morecthatxa blocked from the top RD..

We can get a 2RD solution later if Rinzel is not that already.
RD we could draft at #20 or in round 2:

Stian Solberg
Adam Jiricek
Harrison Brunicke
Henry Mews
Colton Roberts
We coukd draft 2 of these if KD wants ..if Rinzel isxa 2RD solution then these would 3RD pjayers..

But AlWAYS for 6 long seasons more $9.5 blocks ANY RD from a rokexas a 1RD "dofference-maker".

But Cayden Lindstrom could be a Toews,Barkov,Kopitar linchpin top 2line force ...somethibg our structure absolutely Needs..

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Michkov is better and he went much lower. Can't rationalize taking Demidov at 2.

Im leaning Buium after watching some videos.
This is weird thinking. Michkov was considered by many the 2nd best talent. At least top 4 absolutely.

San jose, Montreal, and Arizona made dumb choices because he had 3 years on his khl contract, Russia fear, or were just dumb. Making a choice because other teams were dumb is the most bizarre joke

Last edited:

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Demidov is the safe pick at 2, as that is what the hivemind continues to preach.

I don't see anyone saying Demidov is a 'safe' pick. Pretty much everyone acknowledges there are risks to picking him: Will the knee be an ongoing issue through his career? Will his game translate to the next level?

But is he the player with arguably the highest ceiling in this draft? I think most people would agree. And right now we need to be drafting those elite-potential players.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Hawks need forward talent. Both top picks in 24 and 25 drafts should be a forward. We need high-end talent to plug into our top 9, and acquire bonafide talent. Take forwards with Hawks picks in 2024 and 2025 drafts, draft best D available or high-upside picks with Tampa and Toronto 1sts or early seconds.

People complain that the Hawks can't score any goals, then say we need Levshunov to shore up our defence, and then put Colton Dach into a long-term roster projection. It just doesn't make sense.

Our D depth is already miles ahead of our forwards and I don't think a lot of our forward picks will actually pan out into contender-worthy roster qualifiers.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
To be fair, I remember something from either KD or Doneghey (don't remember which) saying this.

But I honestly don't care enough to go looking for it.
I went back looking for it, couldn't find it but distinctly remember it coming from the FO. Thanks for backing me up, @CallMeShaft

Hawks need forward talent. Both top picks in 24 and 25 drafts should be a forward. We need high-end talent to plug into our top 9, and acquire bonafide talent. Take forwards with Hawks picks in 2024 and 2025 drafts, draft best D available or high-upside picks with Tampa and Toronto 1sts or early seconds.

People complain that the Hawks can't score any goals, then say we need Levshunov to shore up our defence, and then put Colton Dach into a long-term roster projection. It just doesn't make sense.

Our D depth is already miles ahead of our forwards and I don't think a lot of our forward picks will actually pan out into contender-worthy roster qualifiers.
Thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad