Prospect Info: Who should the Canes draft

Who should the Canes Draft in the 1st

• Total voters

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
My guess is many of you are also in need of something to occupy time. Let's vote for each of the Canes picks (I am presuming the 1st rounder is #19 as indicated on MyNHLDraft.com). The choices in each round will be from consensus rankings (Colin Cudmore's consolidate rankings) with some discretion for my favorites.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yaroslav Askarov
Seth Jarvis
Jack Quinn
Zion Nybeck
Dylan Holloway
Rodion Amirov

That would be my early rankings for the Canes pick. Holloway is a Rod system pick through and through. Jarvis and Nybeck are both underrated as undersized forwards but both play big with a ton of skill. I think these smaller guys who attack the dangerous areas of the ice are rising every year in viability. Askarov is a juicy gamble if he falls, one I'd be happy to see the Canes take. Quinn has a scoring ability that can't be ignored. His production comparables indicate a future NHL 30+ scorer.

I'm going to finish my CHL game scraper in the next week or two. I could post the results object once I have it together. I'm interested to dig into 5v5 scoring and on-ice GF/GA.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
So do we want to draft Askarov because he was once highly touted and disregard the facts that he’s barely played this year, hasn’t looked great when he has, and there has been very little success for right hand catching goalies in the nhl?

I mean, I wouldn’t be furious if we did draft him I guess but I’m having a hard time seeing it. Probably not the draft to be taking a huge swing on a goalie. Maybe when we had two firsts but not now. Just my opinion, of course.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
So do we want to draft Askarov because he was once highly touted and disregard the facts that he’s barely played this year, hasn’t looked great when he has, and there has been very little success for right hand catching goalies in the nhl?

I mean, I wouldn’t be furious if we did draft him I guess but I’m having a hard time seeing it. Probably not the draft to be taking a huge swing on a goalie. Maybe when we had two firsts but not now. Just my opinion, of course.

With Askarov I'm working under the assumption that the Canes wouldn't just be guessing with his selection. I'm not advocating for him, I'd just be excited if he dropped and the Canes felt strongly enough about him to make that gamble. The Canes used a high pick last year on Kochetkov who played a similarly low number of games and had already been passed over twice in previous drafts. Ilya Samsonov also played a low number of games his Draft year.

There is a reason Askarov would have gone from top-5 lock to possibly available at #19. The risk is there.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Goaltenders are so hard to figure out. Jack Campbell was a lottery pick in 2010 and has played 58 NHL games. I don't know where Cam Ward was projected to go but at pick 25 that was a home run.

I wouldn't say no, I'm confident that the front office can do what they've done in the past and strike gold in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Goaltenders are so hard to figure out. Jack Campbell was a lottery pick in 2010 and has played 58 NHL games. I don't know where Cam Ward was projected to go but at pick 25 that was a home run.

I wouldn't say no, I'm confident that the front office can do what they've done in the past and strike gold in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds.
3rd round. It was a pretty shocking pick when it was made.

But yeah if we had 2 firsts still I'd be all over it for drafting Askarov with one. Instead do the random Euro/NCAA goalie dart in the mid rounds on and see if we hit pay dirt.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I know only what I have read about available prospects, but I really like what I’ve read about Connor Zary and Jack Quinn. Seems like Zary may not be available when CAR picks.

Reactions: zman77

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
At this point, I'd be surprised if Quinn was available at our pick, but I'd gladly take him. I would stay away from Lapierre with his history unless he falls to the 2nd. Holloway, Askarov, and Jarvis from @AndreiThreeK's list also intrigue me. Zary is another I've had my eye on. This just seems like a draft that will be hard to predict who is available. Any given team could fall in love with many of these guys.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Hello all my 'Canes Fans. Things in Canada are crazy too.
The OHL games are suspended. Saying that I know this league best for Prospects.
Luke Evangelista – Right Wing – London Knights
“Luke is a player that is just scratching the surface. A player who can play in any situation and excel. His strong penalty kill play is attributed to his work ethic and his high hockey IQ where he reads the play well before it happens and is strong positionally. He plays the half wall on the power play where his passing skills are often on display. Goes to the net and can score in tight. He does need to get stronger to fend off bigger defenders. Look for him, along with Knights teammate Antonio Stranges, to really take off next year in his D+1 season as others graduate to the next level.”
Levi Hill

Reactions: WreckingCrew

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Nico Daws – Goaltender – Guelph Storm
“Daws' last 2 months or so (WJC included) have not been his best body of work by any stretch. But with a North American draft eligible goalie class lacking a phenom, he's still got a case to be the first goalie taken after Yaroslav Askarov in the draft. In an OHL season where offence is up and there are only 8 starting goalies with a SV% above .900 (there were 13 last year), Daws leads the pack as the centrepiece of a Guelph team that has swung above their weight class all season. Daws was hampered by an minor injury recently that held him out of the CHL top prospects game. World juniors included, Guelph has gone 5-8-1 without Daws since Dec. 10th, which honestly isn't that bad. But on their recent 10 game losing skid, it was clear they could've benefited from a healthy Daws stealing them a game or two. Every year somebody steps up to take a goalie early in the 2nd round of the draft, then the dominoes really begin to fall. I imagine Daws will be one of the first dominoes to drop.”
Victor Findlay

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Jean Luc Foudy – Right Wing/Center – Windsor Spitfires
“Elite speed matters and I think he's smarter and a little more skilled than he often gets credit for. The way he can back defenders down and also be a weapon on the PK is hard to come by. That's a good foundation to start with.”
Chris Peters

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Ryan O'Rourke – Defense – Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
“Offensively nothing stands out as elite but what you have is alot of above average qualities. He isn't an elite PP QB but he can get the job done. Has a very good shot, very good mobility and sees the ice well. Defensively is where he stands out to me. He loves to play physical and won't back down. Has great gap control and has stepped up to anchor the teams defence at a young age. Shows very well when playing internationally against his age group.”
Peter Kneulman

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Jacob Perreault – Right Wing – Sarnia Sting
His performance during the on ice testing of the Top Prospect's Game caught me by surprise. I knew his skating ability was good, but I didn't think it was THAT good. Would have never imagined him beating JL Foudy. I think part of that is Perreault has not yet realized how to utilize that speed consistently in the OHL. He really needs to clean up his play in the neutral zone, as he can stop moving his feet and makes too many telegraphed passes that result in turnovers. Would love to see him use that speed more to gain entry into the offensive zone and push through the NZ, rather than look to dish off. Is that a hockey sense thing or a confidence/conditioning thing? But he can really fire the puck and I think he anticipates the play well without the puck, getting himself in position to score. His game is very raw, but the offensive potential is alluring.”
Brock Otten

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Jack Quinn – Right Wing – Ottawa 67's
"A puck hungry winger who forchecks hard, hounds the puck carrier and causes turnovers due to his work ethic and physical play. He is a goal scorer who has improved his skating, strength and has become more aggressive this season. Deciding that going to high traffic areas, flashing his puck skills and driving the net, instead of staying to the outside, will allow him to utilize his strong wrist shot more effectively. And it shows as he is on fire scoring at close to a goal a game pace. His play this season has him skyrocketing from an afterthought on my preliminary OHL draft list to a sure first rounder. Don’t be surprised if an NHL team likes him in their top ten come June.”
Dan Stewart

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
I would say Quinn...but I don't think Quinn will be there for the Canes to pick. I would go with Perreault as I think he has the best pure scoring upside at that point in the draft.

Reactions: zman77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad