Speculation: Who Should Detroit Pick at 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It could be that way. There’s not much context to these tweets so maybe it was just him praising his coach. And I appreciate his honesty, it’s awesome.

My only takeaway is that even the most skilled players in the league have to do the things he’s downplaying. If you don’t, you’ll never have the puck. Zadina learned that lesson hard in his D+1 season. Perfetti might have to do the same.
Yeah, but he didn't say he was allergic to contact, or that his teammates should forward his mail to the designated cherry picking zone at the blue line. Just that dump and chase, low event hockey isn't his forte.

I agree that there isn't much context, but I had no issue with the comments.

Reactions: Tetsuo

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Not a big fan of these quotes. I doubt Yzerman and Co like them either.

Kid is in for a rude awakening if he maintains this mindset heading into the NHL.
I don't see the problem. His game isn't suited to dump and chase and he wouldn't excel if that is the system the org is trying to run. His hockey IQ is off the charts, and a quote like this is really refreshing to hear, as it shows that he "gets it" when it comes to scheme and fit. If he wasn't a gifted playmaker and goal scorer I could easily see him end up behind a bench. Maybe he will, way down the road.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Not a big fan of these quotes. I doubt Yzerman and Co like them either.

Kid is in for a rude awakening if he maintains this mindset heading into the NHL.

I mean, I guess I understand why someone wouldn't be happy with this answer, but personally I kinda like it. He knows what type of player he is, and he knows how he will be successful in the NHL. He seems confident in his offensive abilities and he knows what his strengths are on the ice. We don't have enough skill on the team, so I'm all-in on Perfetti.

Sure maybe there are safer picks we could make at 4, but I'm not looking for a a base hit to advance the runners. I want to hit a dinger here, and Perfetti could be that dinger.

Reactions: jkutswings

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Listen to Fozzy Bear's description of Perfetti:

He's obviously not a big fan of his willingness, or lack thereof, to compete for pucks.
Chip and chase is not in Perfetti's vocab for a reason.
As we get closer to draft day, he's falling down my list.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It could be that way. There’s not much context to these tweets so maybe it was just him praising his coach. And I appreciate his honesty, it’s awesome.

My only takeaway is that even the most skilled players in the league have to do the things he’s downplaying. If you don’t, you’ll never have the puck. Zadina learned that lesson hard in his D+1 season. Perfetti might have to do the same.

I think Perfetti is more slamming the type of system Ken Hitchcock has employed and the way he has forced his players to buy in than saying he's unwilling to ever do those things. For what it's worth, Hull chafed under Hitchcock, too. I think once he had a breakaway and just dumped it into the zone and went for his change because it was what Hitchcock pushed all of the time. Hull didn't seem to have any issue under Bowman, though.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
That video was done in December with clips from late 2019 (almost one year ago) and Draft Dynasty has said in subsequent videos that he has moved him up and loved the way he played after Christmas.

3:40 minute mark

I will say videos like this can be made to suit any narrative. I could make a video showing clips of Lafreniere being lazy or soft and I could go find clips of him hustling and killing guys. Just depends which narrative I want to back.

If I want, I can find clips of Perfetti hustling on the forecheck, winning board battles and finishing checks. Depends what I want people to see.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com

He's obviously not a big fan of his willingness, or lack thereof, to compete for pucks.

they cried about jagr too . these highly talented offensive guys know that utilizing their minutes and energy constantly looking for ways to score , as opposed to chasing pucks and opponants , is whats best for the team .

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Honestly i am more intrigued about our pick at 32. There’s gonna be some real good talent there. Well get a great player no matter who we choose between Rossi Perfetti Raymond Drysdale etc. Maybe it’s because i’m more aware of the later talents in this draft but it seems like this group from 20-35 ish is really strong compared to previous ones.

Reactions: TheMule93

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013

who’s 2nd choice for you at 4 now

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Honestly i am more intrigued about our pick at 32. There’s gonna be some real good talent there. Well get a great player no matter who we choose between Rossi Perfetti Raymond Drysdale etc. Maybe it’s because i’m more aware of the later talents in this draft but it seems like this group from 20-35 ish is really strong compared to previous ones.

I do not think the centers/defenseman projected to go in the 20-35 range are better than most other years at all, personally.

Especially if guys like Guhle, Brisson, Bourque etc don’t slide and go where they are projected to go.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
On the 31 Thoughts Podcast, Marek said he expects us to grab a D or Perfetti (nothing new here). He said that at 5, Ottawa is looking at Jack Quinn, Sanderson and Askarov.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Jack Quinn at five seems crazy to me. Even him going in the top 10 blows my mind. He’s already 19 and he’s only had one year of producing in the O. I would like to think much of his production is attributable to playing with Rossi. He just seems to be a massive gamble.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
might be new info im not sure , from prohockeyrumors site :

Amidst existing rumors that the Red Wings had keyed in on OHL forward Marco Rossi as their selection, the Red Wings loaned one of their top prospects, Michael Rasmussen, to the Graz 99ers, the same team that Rossi is currently training with. Then today, Rossi reported that he has talked with the Red Wings not once or twice but three times. And while other prospects have noted that Detroit GM Steve Yzerman has merely been listening in on video calls with his computer screen off, Rossi stated that he has had several “good” chats directly with Yzerman. This is far from an absolute confirmation that the Red Wings will go Rossi at fourth overall, there is certainly enough evidence to make a strong case.

Reactions: A II R

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Quite strong game from Lundell today.

HIFK was trailin 4-1 against Pelicans, did win 5-6 and Lundell scored the game-winner at 59:55.

2+1=3 points and on the ice for 4 HIFK goals. 0 against. 56,2% at faceoffs.

Next Bergeron/Toews on the making.

If we were to go "off the board" I think Lundell would be my choice. He's not only relatively safe, but he has legit 1B/2A C upside too. If he falls to the teens a team is going to get excellent value.

Reactions: Winger98

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
If we were to go "off the board" I think Lundell would be my choice. He's not only relatively safe, but he has legit 1B/2A C upside too. If he falls to the teens a team is going to get excellent value.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Yzerman take lundell, simply for the fact that he projects the most safely as an actual true center.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Jack Quinn at five seems crazy to me. Even him going in the top 10 blows my mind. He’s already 19 and he’s only had one year of producing in the O. I would like to think much of his production is attributable to playing with Rossi. He just seems to be a massive gamble.

Quinn and Rossi played on different lines a lot. I wouldn't draft him in the top 10 either and I am worried about his one year explosion. I think his actual tools are more impressive than Rossi though for whatever that is worth. Quinn has a legit shot, great release placement and lots of pace. I think he is also a fairly safe two way player. Ottawa scored a lot though I think it is 5 guys in the top 15 scorers in the OHL played for them. It gives me pause on all their stats frankly.

Quinn is another guy where his skating worries me in terms of projecting him as a big time NHL player.

Reactions: DInTheB

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
At 4 I really want a centre. That means Cole or Marco. If we pick a winger like Raymond or one of the dmen ok. I’m sure I can get behind the pick and be happy. Just not a goalie. At 32 I’m stuck on Wallinder, Khuznutdinov, or Reichel. The draft simulator usually gives me a choice of at least two of these guys. Personally I rank them all as first rounders but whatever. If they go I’m in trouble. I’ll have to wait and see who drops if they are gone. At 45 and 55 I’m going with Jurmo and maybe Grans or Torggeson. At 63 and 65 I’m going with Jack Finley, Dylan Peterson, Tyler Klevin, or Alexandr Nikishin Honestly I’ve heard some many negatives on every prospect that I just want it to be over

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Yzerman take lundell, simply for the fact that he projects the most safely as an actual true center.

Yeah, playing as a Center against MEN for a full year and still going.

Stützle didn't play as center at last year. Winger in German league and Center only against juniors.

Like, Byfield has been the only 100% full-time Center (against juniors) and Lundell (against men) comes next - in this draft.

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
In his draft preview Bob MacKenzie mentioned that Raymond had some experience at center. Does anyone know how long ago that was, if Raymond has commented on his willingness to shift there again, or if any scouts have mentioned it? For how hard he forechecks/backchecks, moving to center wouldn't be adding that much more responsibility to his game.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It's just you know we going to get a good one at 4, hope we get lucky at second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad