Speculation: Who should be the new head coach of the Washington Capitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
If Bylsma's days are numbered I might take a good hard look at him. I don't know how well he'd do with the whole "OV not playing hockey at both sides of the ice" fiasco but I think he's a coach who's got his **** together in a lot of other areas that we are a mess in.

I do like there team game. They have guys go down all the time and they don't seem to miss a beat. The next guy just steps in.

But I fear our guys don't the hockey IQ for that kind of game.

ryan519*

they really need to do something about laich. injured all the time and when hes on the ice hes not that good, all for 4.5m per year

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Barry Trotz would be a fantastic coach in Washington. He's never had the luxury of having high powered offensive players on his teams in Nashville, but he made Nashville a tough team to play against. He'll bring the best out of the defensemen in Washington and I think you'll see guys like Alzner and Carlson really benefit from Trotz and it's possible that a guy like Orlov becomes a real offensive dynamo.

It just makes too much sense for Trotz to be the next coach in Washington.

I love Trotz, but many here will not like him by midseason. Essentially the Hunter style hockey will cause panic. I personally want Lavi, however Trotz will get the work ethic. Either coach is fine with me and I certainly don't want another rookie coach.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Barry Trotz would be a fantastic coach in Washington. He's never had the luxury of having high powered offensive players on his teams in Nashville, but he made Nashville a tough team to play against. He'll bring the best out of the defensemen in Washington and I think you'll see guys like Alzner and Carlson really benefit from Trotz and it's possible that a guy like Orlov becomes a real offensive dynamo.

It just makes too much sense for Trotz to be the next coach in Washington.

Well, a guy that's won two playoff series in seven appearances would seem to suit that Caps.

Overrated coach.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
coaches nowdays are too often married to a given approach. I'd like to think that a guy like Trotz would be smart enough not to coach a team with top of the line firepower the same way he would coach a team that had david legwand and two start defenseman as their foundation.

its easier to trap and play defense on a budget.
but if Trotz is a Preditors style coach, then he's a square peg and the caps a round hole. I Bylsma gets canned, Shero has a preds history. Do you think he would put Crosby and Malkin in shot block city?

Paddis

Apr 18, 2014
Trondheim
Any chance Babcock gets fired?
In my opinion, Babcock is one of the coaches of the year considering all the injuries the Red Wings have had this season. Them being in the playoff is pretty incredible and speaks volumes of him imo. No chance he gets fired.

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
Admittedly, I'm somewhat leaning towards Trotz, now. I think he could introduce that balanced style efficiently successfully, moreso than the failed attempts by Boudreau or Oates.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Admittedly, I'm somewhat leaning towards Trotz, now. I think he could introduce that balanced style efficiently successfully, moreso than the failed attempts by Boudreau or Oates.

what about Trotz shows that he can coach balance? what about Oates was about offense?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What about Trotz showed that he cannot coach balance, has he grounded an Ovi before and missed the playoffs?

What about Oates was defense?

n62

Oct 18, 2011
Dry Island
Lavy is a heck of a motivator but his system may not be the best fit for you guys. He is go-go offense, pond hockey at times; you may score 6 goals a game but a team must have excellent defensemen to prevent giving up just as many. He took us to the finals but Chris Pronger was a major reason for that. Once Prongs got hurt and Timonen started to age, it all fell apart.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I assume Ted is still in win now mode. I doubt the defense gets revamped enough to stand on its own 2 skates. That may start with peddling Green. It will likely come down to our G in the near term.

If we roll with Lavi, can Holtby be our Grant Fehr Fuhr?

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I think we need another former Capitals player rookie coach!

Just kidding.

I said in another thread that I've seen enough of Nashville to know I don't want Trotz.

The point about never having had this kind of offensive talent before that was made a couple times here gave me pause though. Basically I've only ever seen him on one kind of team, so I guess it's possible he coaches to the strengths of his players and this team becomes a really exciting team under Trotz that is slightly more effective at team defense. I dunno. I take back what I said I guess.

Because at this point, first priority is getting an experienced coach. I won't cry if Trotz is coach. Lavi sounds like a much better idea to me. But what do I know? Not much, other than that experience, at just about anything, is valuable. Practice makes perfect and all that. That's just common sense. Even Leonsis has to have learned that by now. What is it, five rookie coaches in a row now? Just got lucky with Boudreau.

leova

Feb 28, 2008
In my opinion, Babcock is one of the coaches of the year considering all the injuries the Red Wings have had this season. Them being in the playoff is pretty incredible and speaks volumes of him imo. No chance he gets fired.

absolutely no way he leaves Detroit, if he did he'd have an instant job with 20-odd other teams, not to mention international teams.

Guy took an AHL roster to the Stanley Cup Playoffs...can you see Oates doing that?

I'm thinking its gonna be Trotz, maybe they bring back Poile as well...

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Lavy is a heck of a motivator but his system may not be the best fit for you guys. He is go-go offense, pond hockey at times; you may score 6 goals a game but a team must have excellent defensemen to prevent giving up just as many. He took us to the finals but Chris Pronger was a major reason for that. Once Prongs got hurt and Timonen started to age, it all fell apart.

Go-go offense is exactly what this fan wants. We have the personnel for it. You want to see Mike Green return to Norris candidacy? Bringing in Lavi is probably our best chance of seeing that. Lavi would love Orlov's game too.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
Babcock isn't going anywhere, but if he does end up on the outs - you do everything you can to get him to DC.

I'm skeptical of Trotz given the personnel here. I don't watch a ton of NSH games, but I don't see any indication that he wants to play a more balanced game.

What would everyone think of DeBoer if NJ were to move on?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Given all the puck movers George has horded, Ovi of course, maybe run and gun should get another look before reinventing the wheel and clearing all George's guy out. Lavi on a 2 year leash.

But then that implies that a new GM is going to inherit his approach. Which, has sadly proven to be a failed approach.

Maybe just flipping 2 MPMs / RW for stay at homers will be enough to try a new approach. Trotz. Go defensive at 1/2 LD and 3RD/LD depending on where Orlov ends up.

Fictional DD - Green | Karl - Carl | More Attainable DD - Orlov

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Go-go offense is exactly what this fan wants. We have the personnel for it. You want to see Mike Green return to Norris candidacy? Bringing in Lavi is probably our best chance of seeing that. Lavi would love Orlov's game too.

And I think Kuznetsov can become a really good passer and a good scorer more quickly on more of that kind of team. He's got obvious talent that must be honed and unleashed, immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad