Proposal: Who says no?

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
That's a tough one. Obviously rather have Fleury in net, but the contract situation complicates it. I'd feel more comfortable making that decision after seeing what else the Canes have planned. If they ice the forwards they have now at the start of the season, no reason to spend the money on a goalie yet.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I mean, MAF is so significantly better I don't see why anyone would say no. Except maybe Fleury himself who has a NTC.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Fleury says no... well maybe.

I mean Fleury only has 3 years on his deal so it's not a total pipeline clogger like Andersen or Bishop + extension would have been.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Does anyone really think Francis would trade Ward after just signing him. Plus Ward also has a limited NTC, he could say i'm never moving to ****tsburgh.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Does anyone really think Francis would trade Ward after just signing him. Plus Ward also has a limited NTC, he could say i'm never moving to ****tsburgh.

I'm thinking that this discussion is pure fantasy world, rather than any sort of proposal.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Marc-Andre Fleury for Cam Ward, straight-up.

No way that happens. Now, MAF for Lack and a pick or prospect...I thought that might be an option for a while until the team signed cam to a $3.3M AAV contract. That is expensive backup material and then locks us into over $9M AAV on goalies. So, ultimately, I can't see it happening.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I mean, MAF is so significantly better I don't see why anyone would say no. Except maybe Fleury himself who has a NTC.

Fleury can name 12 teams to which he can't be traded. So he *will* get traded. There is simply no doubt about it. The Pens are not going to let Matt Murray go in the expansion draft, so Fleury *will* be traded. Not necessarily now, but before protected lists are finalized.

Now, if I'm Fleury, I'm putting teams that need goalies on my list and not necessarily places I don't want to play. No point wasting a "no trade" bullet on Montreal or Tampa Bay, when there's no chance of going there. So I assume CAR is on his no-trade list. But there are 17 teams *not* on his list. Would he risk a horrible landing spot in a purely dump trade by nixing a trade to a team on the upswing in a non-terrible locale? I don't think he would.

And as for RF signing Ward then trading him, seriously? It's a business. I'm sure he didn't sign him thinking he would trade him, but stuff happens. Plus, Cam almost certainly got a two-year deal specifically so he could be exposed in the expansion draft. We all knew that as soon as it happened. So if you're Cam, do you want to spend your twilight years backing up Matt Murray on a Cup contender, or facing 60 shots a night on an expansion team?

I still don't know who would nix this one. If I'm Carolina, I'd do it. And if I'm Pittsburgh, I may even toss in a draft pick to make sure RF doesn't change his mind after hanging up (and because I'm JR and that's what I do).

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I think some are confusing MAF's NMC with Ward's 15-team exempt NTC...no?

EDIT: Never mind...it's 18 teams that MAF can be traded to.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Fleury can name 12 teams to which he can't be traded. So he *will* get traded. There is simply no doubt about it. The Pens are not going to let Matt Murray go in the expansion draft, so Fleury *will* be traded. Not necessarily now, but before protected lists are finalized.

Now, if I'm Fleury, I'm putting teams that need goalies on my list and not necessarily places I don't want to play. No point wasting a "no trade" bullet on Montreal or Tampa Bay, when there's no chance of going there. So I assume CAR is on his no-trade list. But there are 17 teams *not* on his list. Would he risk a horrible landing spot in a purely dump trade by nixing a trade to a team on the upswing in a non-terrible locale? I don't think he would.

And as for RF signing Ward then trading him, seriously? It's a business. I'm sure he didn't sign him thinking he would trade him, but stuff happens. Plus, Cam almost certainly got a two-year deal specifically so he could be exposed in the expansion draft. We all knew that as soon as it happened. So if you're Cam, do you want to spend your twilight years backing up Matt Murray on a Cup contender, or facing 60 shots a night on an expansion team?

I still don't know who would nix this one. If I'm Carolina, I'd do it. And if I'm Pittsburgh, I may even toss in a draft pick to make sure RF doesn't change his mind after hanging up (and because I'm JR and that's what I do).

JR was just asking for a top 10 pick for Fleury so I'm not sure why you think what's left of Cam Ward is all it would take to get him.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I think some are confusing MAF's NMC with Ward's 15-team exempt NTC...no?

EDIT: Never mind...it's 18 teams that MAF can be traded to.

And I think some others are confusing NMCs and NTCs as "this guy will never get traded" clauses.

They are simply protection for the player from getting moved to a city in which they do not care to play and/or live. They are not deal-breakers or discussion-enders. It's not that they refuse to be traded, it's that the player just wants to have more of a say in where he plays.

And it's 17 teams. On top of the 12, it's very unlikely he'll be traded to Pittsburgh.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
JR was just asking for a top 10 pick for Fleury so I'm not sure why you think what's left of Cam Ward is all it would take to get him.

I'm assuming at some point JR will see the reality of the situation. Like I said, it may take some time, but Pittsburgh will not go into next summer with Fleury on the roster. The list of teams who can afford Fleury and need a goalie is already very short. At some point, he will be forced to blink. Plus, he's JR and we're dangling Cam Ward!!

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
And I think some others are confusing NMCs and NTCs as "this guy will never get traded" clauses.

Yes and no. When I saw "NMC" with no other condition, I took that at face value. And if it were a true NMC, this trade would absolutely not happen. Not that it would happen anyway...signing a guy then trading him would all but ruin your rep as a GM.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
That's a tough one. Obviously rather have Fleury in net, but the contract situation complicates it. I'd feel more comfortable making that decision after seeing what else the Canes have planned. If they ice the forwards they have now at the start of the season, no reason to spend the money on a goalie yet.
notsure-1.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad