Who owns the AHL broadcasting rights?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
NBC owned the NHL broadcasting until recently, ESPN owns those rights now
but who owns the AHL broadcasting rights??? AHL itself?

Googled it, couldn't get an answer, all i got was AHLTV streaming stuff
and CBC sports airing few games every now and then in Canada.
(at least they did) and Sportsnet has aired AHL games as well, in Canada

Why am i asking????...

Well, i wish i could watch AHL games from my TV, (the normal way)
they way i can watch every single NHL game.

Wish i could get to see some live AHL games
without extra payment...you know, so it would include to my
network packages i already pay a hefty amount of money.

Tons of Europeans play in the AHL every season, not just Finns,
you'd think there be some interest in that???

Now that Viasat lost their rights to broadcast KHL games , i wish they would replace
KHL with some AHL hockey, i mean, they sure ain't gonna lower their prices,
so why not keep your content intact, if you remove one, you gotta replace it with something
to keep your customers happy, right?!?.

I would love to see some Live AHL games without subscribing to some shitty
internet streaming service thing, i have too many payment's as it is,
can't afford that anymore, besides, i don't like to watch sports from
other than from my TV...

NHL & AHL in a same package? bring it!!!

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
FYI. AHL was once here, ... you could watch loads of AHL games via NA...something something network
but then that channel disappeared from this part of the world.

I could watch loads of NA pro sports from that network, NA motorsports as well,
via that network, i first started to watch MLB, i can still remember watching
the Red Sox brake the curse, live on tv, in my bed, middle of the night....
or was it very early in the morning...its been almost 20 years so,,,,

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
NBC owned the NHL broadcasting until recently, ESPN owns those rights now
but who owns the AHL broadcasting rights??? AHL itself? ...
Yes, the League owns the rights to its game content. They have chosen to share that content with fans via a streaming service, presumably because no multiregional broadcast media company found the product lucrative enough commercially to partner with the AHL.

Well, i wish i could watch AHL games from my TV, (the normal way) they way i can watch every single NHL game.

Wish i could get to see some live AHL games without extra payment...you know, so it would include to my
network packages i already pay a hefty amount of money. ...
See above.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yes, the League owns the rights to its game content. They have chosen to share that content with fans via a streaming service, presumably because no multiregional broadcast media company found the product lucrative enough commercially to partner with the AHL.

See above.

Thanks.

Would be cool if that would change one day.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Thanks.

Would be cool if that would change one day.
Meanwhile purchase a media streaming stick, scrape together enough money from frivilous expenditures to subscribe to AHLTV (which IMO is a very good quality stream), and pretend you're watching "TV (the normal way)."

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I recently installed TiVo streaming device and was able to download the AHLTV app (via Google Play Android store). So I'll be able to watch games on my TV this upcoming season (rather than only on my computer). YMMV.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Meanwhile purchase a media streaming stick, scrape together enough money from frivilous expenditures to subscribe to AHLTV (which IMO is a very good quality stream), and pretend you're watching "TV (the normal way)."

I know, i have done that sometimes :) - yeah and i know its pretty good quality, not at my standards, but like you said, pretty good
i was really just generalizing with that shitty stream comment :)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I recently installed TiVo streaming device and was able to download the AHLTV app (via Google Play Android store). So I'll be able to watch games on my TV this upcoming season (rather than only on my computer). YMMV.

Cool.

Yeah i sometimes hook up my lap top to my TV and watch it like that.
(i think the picture quality is better with HDMI gold what doing it using some application and phone or what ever)

But the absolute best would be watching via TV itself without the "middle hand"

The streaming is probably here to stay (hopefully not) but at the moment there are so many issues with streaming,
when streaming live sports.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Hmmm...

that actually doesn't sound a bad idea (now obviously we don't have that TiVo thing, we have other similar devices)

i'm still very new to this app store, android stuff and always forget these things are possible...
so, sure, i can get that AHLTV* to my android device (i don't have an android TV or better, or what ever,
that's probably main reason why i don't know, remember these things)

I do have a TiVo type of android device hooked up to my TV.

*if i had some extra money available..
i know its not expensive, but its still money and i have loads of stuff already..
(i decided not to subscribe this season)

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Occasionally there are some AHL games on NHLNetwork. But few and far between.

Some teams have some local tv deals. But otherwise subscribing to AHLtv is your best way to watch games.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
AHL is pretty much only available on their own streaming service AHL TV. There is an app on the Fire Stick and maybe some Smart TVs have it, too.

My TV doesn't have an AHL TV app on it. So what I do is go on my Smart TV's web browser, go to AHL TV's website, log in and select the game. It is in great quality.

So you can watch the games on your TV. But it's not on any channel. It's still through the AHL TV's website.

However, speaking for myself, living in Montreal, some Laval Rocket games are broadcast on TV. But those are only a number of games a season. If I want to watch all of my team's games, I have to subscribe to AHL TV.

I imagine other AHL teams have certain games broadcast on regional TV, as well.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... However, speaking for myself, living in Montreal, some Laval Rocket games are broadcast on TV. But those are only a number of games a season. If I want to watch all of my team's games, I have to subscribe to AHL TV.

I imagine other AHL teams have certain games broadcast on regional TV, as well.
CHI Wolves have a 30-game broadcast deal with a local TV station this season. RFD IceHogs had a local TV deal in seasons past, as did the GR Griffins. AHL.com listed quite a few other teams offering broadcast TV games last season.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad