Who needs to step up?

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
What player do you think needs to step up during the second half of the season?

I think that player needs to be Brian Elliot. He has been a bit disappointing so far and he is in a contract year so you know he would love to get a big contract somewhere. I think he steps it up big time in the second half.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Brian Elliott has already stepped up, in my opinion. He is, right now, and since about December, giving us the type of goaltending we need out of our goalie. As long as our team plays better than the other team, we should win most nights.

I think, without a doubt, the guy that needs to step up is Johnny Gaudreau. He needs to lead our offence every night and be a threat when he's on the ice. He can't be invisible for 90% of the game and get himself a secondary assist late in the game when things are out of reach.

The last few weeks of that first half was the worst stretch of hockey we've ever witnessed Gaudreau play. He had no hands and no vision, and wasn't really threatening the other team at all. If he can regain form and give us a credible first line again to follow up with the Backlund trio, we'll be a hard team to play against. If we get that, I think we're a playoff team.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
Monahan and Gaudreau!

Monahan needs to take the next level in become a strong play driving C. He has the body for it and drive to the net.

Gaudreau needs to ear his big pay day now! He seems to be at some dangerous cross roads that he needs to overcome. The rest of the league has figured him out and he can’t just freely run around. He needs to evolve his game like all great stick handlers have. That plus Flames need to support the kid and put some players next to him that take the attention off him. See point above about Monahan.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Oh, also Samwise Bennett.

If Bennett and Gaudreau both play to their ability, this team will be very dangerous.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Everyone, but I think the most pressure falls on Monahan and Gaudreau. These guys just aren't getting it done for the money they are making.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Everyone, but I think the most pressure falls on Monahan and Gaudreau. These guys just aren't getting it done for the money they are making.

Monahan has been getting 2-3 scoring chances per game for the most part over the last 25 games or so. Don't know how you can ask him to do much more then that.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Monahan has been getting 2-3 scoring chances per game for the most part over the last 25 games or so. Don't know how you can ask him to do much more then that.

Ok he has 3 goals and 1 assist in his last 5 games. Plus/minus is -15 so far this year. Needs to do more work on both ends of the ice.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Let's start with the obvious ones:

Elliott
Brodie
Brouwer
Jokipakka
Gaudreau
Monahan

Shortlist:
Bennett
Johnson
Giordano
Wideman
Bouma

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
All of the above. Not very happy with anyone's effort lately. The stars have to become stars again. Everyone has to play the role that they've been given.
Play the coach's system and things will turn around.
Don't play the coach's system, don't play your role they'll continue to suffer. To me it's all about effort.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I'm very surprised at the lack of people saying they want more out of Brouwer. Even though he's frequently a whipping boy I think even his fans have to admit he's underperforming.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm very surprised at the lack of people saying they want more out of Brouwer. Even though he's frequently a whipping boy I think even his fans have to admit he's underperforming.
Complimentary players will look better when top players start carrying their weight. If Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett start playing better it will make the Brouwer's, Versteeg's and Ferland's look better.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Elliott had one month with a remotely acceptable save% - the one with the smallest sample size.

October- .891
November- .869
December- .919
January- .892

Elliott will have to play like he did in December. It's not too much to ask for given it's below his numbers in STL. If he does that, I have little doubt we make the playoff regardless of everything else. I would help if Gaudreau and Bennett started scoring too. Brodie and Monahan already went back to their old form so it's all about the other three.

He's not a player, but it would help if Gulutzan made better decisions. Playing Brouwer and Brodie/Wideman less would be a good start. Dropping the "1"PP unit would be a bonus.
I'm very surprised at the lack of people saying they want more out of Brouwer.
I didn't expect anything more so it's not worth it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gaudreau and Monahan need to play to their levels they did under Hartley.

Bennett needs to take the step that he was expected to this season.

The M line needs to keep playing the way they have.

Brodie needs to be a difference maker and play like a top pairing Dman.

Lastly, Elliott (Johnson) needs to just play above average and make saves at the right time.

Oh yeah, Gully needs to coach better. He needs to push the right buttons and get this team to give it their max effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad