Who might be moving to Glens Falls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I think Albany-Adirondack Devils has a nice ring to it actually lol, nice regional approach. Nobody can argue what success the approach had with the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins lol.

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
I looked online at the Indy ECHL website and the renovated arena looks amazing. Gorgeous center jumbotron scoreboard, video boards, and totally awesome renovations..I am jealous, would be an awesome place to catch an ECHL or AHL team.
They didn't just renovate, they essentially rebuilt. Only the building's shell is original.

Pictures here. They're miniscule, but look at the 2-3 month mark - building completely gutted.
http://www.in.gov/statefair/fairgrounds/venues/504.htm

Artie Fufkin

Jan 11, 2014
I think Albany-Adirondack Devils has a nice ring to it actually lol, nice regional approach. Nobody can argue what success the approach had with the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins lol.

Wilkes-Barre and Scranton are adjacent to one another. Glens Falls and Albany are 60 miles apart.

They didn't call them the Adirondack-Albany Redwings when there was a team in Glens Falls and none in Albany. That's never going to happen.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Wilkes-Barre and Scranton are adjacent to one another. Glens Falls and Albany are 60 miles apart.

They didn't call them the Adirondack-Albany Redwings when there was a team in Glens Falls and none in Albany. That's never going to happen.

Capital District Islanders? Capital District Devils? :P

Anyways I seriously doubt the Devils are the team.

Artie Fufkin

Jan 11, 2014
Capital District Islanders? Capital District Devils? :P

Anyways I seriously doubt the Devils are the team.

We've already had the Capital District Islanders, when they played at RPI in Troy. Glens Falls isn't in the Capital District.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
We've already had the Capital District Islanders, when they played at RPI in Troy. Glens Falls isn't in the Capital District.

Really dude? I'm well aware of the Capital District Islanders, and given how Nightsquad mentioned a "nice regional approach" was why I brought them up in the first place.

Oh and by the way according to this link Glens Falls IS a part of the capital district.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incorporated_places_in_New_York's_Capital_District

Too bad so sad you lose good day sir! :P

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I see the Phantoms hosted over 16,000 yesterday in a game against Hershey down in Philly, nice way to pad their average attendance on paper. I believe they have another game to play in Philly which will really bolster their numbers. The Phantoms no doubt should be very successful in Allentown. I feel bad for Albany fans though, as their own team has to play four games in Atlantic City which has yet to really draw well.

Artie Fufkin

Jan 11, 2014
Really dude? I'm well aware of the Capital District Islanders, and given how Nightsquad mentioned a "nice regional approach" was why I brought them up in the first place.

Oh and by the way according to this link Glens Falls IS a part of the capital district.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incorporated_places_in_New_York's_Capital_District

Too bad so sad you lose good day sir! :P

Congratulations. You caught me on a technicality. Your adept skills at using Wikipedia has shown that Glens Falls and Warren County are part of the Capital District because they are part of the Albany Combined Statistical area.

But since you are also a resident of this region, you know that the area that openly markets itself as the Capital District is bordered by Albany in the south, Saratoga Springs to the north, Schenectady to the west and Troy to the east. I guess all the people and businesses in Glens Falls that market themselves as the Gateway to the Adirondacks, must not be aware of your information.

Again, I applaud you on your Wikipedia skills. I'm sure it will come in handy on your next report for your Social Studies class.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
I see the Phantoms hosted over 16,000 yesterday in a game against Hershey down in Philly, nice way to pad their average attendance on paper. I believe they have another game to play in Philly which will really bolster their numbers. The Phantoms no doubt should be very successful in Allentown. I feel bad for Albany fans though, as their own team has to play four games in Atlantic City which has yet to really draw well.

They're already padding the numbers there (as with everywhere else). I was at the game Friday vs. Hershey, and they announced a sellout of 4,929, and I can tell you conservatively there were over 500 empty seats.

The AC games are populated by nearly as many "visiting" fans as home ones. Hershey was down a few weeks ago, and of the announced 2,734, I'd guess about 30-40% Bears folks. If they scheduled the Phantoms there, they'd fill the place, but there'd be 85-90% Philly people in the place.

GF hockey fan

Jan 30, 2014

I went to the Philly game yesterday, it was a great game. Friday night was great attendance, well above 4k, I believe. The Philly game raised us 500 per game last night, but our average attendance WITHOUT the Philly game is ~3324, Albany is 3006.
You are just guessing numbers, I am using actual statistics. 4,794 permanent seats is what the GFCC capacity is reported as, yet a "sellout" is considerably less, I can't explain that. So, yes your friend is correct that there are empty seats with a sellout crowd. Not all season ticket holders attend EVERY game.

I am sure of one thing, and that is there is no way that 30% (almost 1/3 of the arena) of the fans at the GFCC are Devils fans during a GFCC Phantoms/Devils game. It does certainly raise the numbers, but it doesn't raise the numbers THAT much. Considering they have a smaller HOME fan base than we do, it isn't even feasible to believe such a thing is true. :laugh:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I went to the Philly game yesterday, it was a great game. Friday night was great attendance, well above 4k, I believe. The Philly game raised us 500 per game last night, but our average attendance WITHOUT the Philly game is ~3324, Albany is 3006.
You are just guessing numbers, I am using actual statistics. 4,794 permanent seats is what the GFCC capacity is reported as, yet a "sellout" is considerably less, I can't explain that. So, yes your friend is correct that there are empty seats with a sellout crowd. Not all season ticket holders attend EVERY game.

I am sure of one thing, and that is there is no way that 30% (almost 1/3 of the arena) of the fans at the GFCC are Devils fans during a GFCC Phantoms/Devils game. It does certainly raise the numbers, but it doesn't raise the numbers THAT much. Considering they have a smaller HOME fan base than we do, it isn't even feasible to believe such a thing is true. :laugh:

Well he is just guessing that in the likely event the Devils relocate to Adirondack he said a good chunk of Albany's fans are likely to follow since they actually help Adirondack more so then Adirondack fans help Albany so the markey is fragmented. He lives farther up north so getting to Glens Falls is about a forty minute run in good weather, for him going to games in Albany he does not do very often. He would make the almost two hour run to see games in Albany against the Wings which were awesome he said but the newer younger Phantoms fans he said just are not into the Albany Adirondack games anymore. He said a team from the new NAPHL looked at Glens Falls but obviously had the door shut on them quick as it looks sketchy already at best, like on par with FHL.

GF hockey fan

Jan 30, 2014
Well he is just guessing that in the likely event the Devils relocate to Adirondack he said a good chunk of Albany's fans are likely to follow since they actually help Adirondack more so then Adirondack fans help Albany so the markey is fragmented. He lives farther up north so getting to Glens Falls is about a forty minute run in good weather, for him going to games in Albany he does not do very often. He would make the almost two hour run to see games in Albany against the Wings which were awesome he said but the newer younger Phantoms fans he said just are not into the Albany Adirondack games anymore. He said a team from the new NAPHL looked at Glens Falls but obviously had the door shut on them quick as it looks sketchy already at best, like on par with FHL.

We've had 5 different teams looking at the center. Albany was considered a possibility last year, as their numbers were so low. (This is based on an Albany area newspaper article early last year.) Having the Devils move here would raise the numbers, for sure. Rangers looked, but wanted to take over part of the center, Pirates used us as pawns. We should know in a few weeks what actually happens.

Aside from the current sweet deal they have, Abbotsford makes sense. Maybe the city (Abbotsford) has offered to buy them out to release them/make them go away. I know the residents are unhappy with the situation there.

NHL Hartford

Mar 16, 2008
Hartford, CT
www.facebook.com
I would love for nothing more than the Rangers to finally leave Hartford but unfortunately they have 1.4 Million reasons not to break their contract with the state. I guess ya never know though weirder things have happened, especially dealing with the AHL.

Last edited:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I would love for nothing more than the Rangers to finally leave Hartford but unfortunately they have 1.4 Million reasons not to break their contract with the state. I guess ya never know though weirder things have happened, especially dealing with the AHL.

I would think that if the Rangers did put their AHL club over in New York State I cannot see how Glens Falls would be that much better of an option over the Albany area. I think the Rangers would want to get their prospects down to MSG as soon as possible. Albany to NYC is an hour less then Glens Falls which although doesnt sound alot, for logistics it might mean a whole lot more. Also Glens Falls isnt drawing a heck of alot more then Albany, a few hundred fans or so at best. I think the difference for that reason is the fact Albany is affiliated with the Devils who basically ruin minor league markets with their core philosiphy that it doesnt matter if we win or not at the AHL level. I am quite sure Albany fans who have not had playoff hockey for what, almost ten years are worn down, the market seems beat up. Albany has a 6500 seat arena capable of seating more, whereas Adirondack Civic Center doesnt seat even 5000 or has no luxury suites??? I could see the Rangers being a huge boost in Albany for AHL hockey. Closer to NYC, bigger arena with more state of the art features, and from what I am told the Capital District of NY is basically Ranger country. I dont want to see a great hockeytown like Hartford though lose hockey at the expense of a place like Adirondack or Albany though which lacks the history of hockey that Hartford has unless Hartford had something better like hopefully the return of the NHL :)

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I dont want to see a great hockeytown like Hartford though lose hockey at the expense of a place like Adirondack or Albany though which lacks the history of hockey that Hartford has unless Hartford had something better like hopefully the return of the NHL :)

Hartford might have been a great hockey town at one time, but not anymore. The fanbase has become one giant clusternut. Between fans that won't go because its not NHL, because they hate the Rangers affiliation, because they blame the Rangers for the Whalers leaving, because they're not named the Whalers, because they changed name mid season to the Connecticut Whale, because Uconn is playing in the XL next year, and because of just general apathy has created a very acidic and dead atmosphere on game nights.

That's not to say Hartford couldn't give decent support to a team, just that they need a neutral affiliate, and a new start with a team new identity.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Hartford might have been a great hockey town at one time, but not anymore. The fanbase has become one giant clusternut. Between fans that won't go because its not NHL, because they hate the Rangers affiliation, because they blame the Rangers for the Whalers leaving, because they're not named the Whalers, because they changed name mid season to the Connecticut Whale, because Uconn is playing in the XL next year, and because of just general apathy has created a very acidic and dead atmosphere on game nights.

That's not to say Hartford couldn't give decent support to a team, just that they need a neutral affiliate, and a new start with a team new identity.

Thats probably Albany's problem to. If Albany could draw between 4000 to 5000 for much of the 1990s, even 6000 per game one of those years then why are they not now??? Then you have a great local rivalry in those two college DI teams nearby which over 7000 fans were treated to a nice scrap with in Albany's arena two weeks ago. Maybe Albany fans are sick of the Devils organization or something, looks like they had a good thing back in the days of the River Rats. Albany or the Capital Area seems like its more of a B-Ball town then anything. I remember the old arena football team there used to draw over 10,000 per game so there obviously is a base somewhere in that market. Thats why I could see the NY Rangers being a great fit for Albany. My friend up in Warren County said a local business guy wanted to bring an ECHL franchise to Glens Falls and they basically told him no thanks, buy an AHL club or nothing which I think is crazy. If Indianapolis, Cincy, and Orlando are okay with the ECHL I dont see how Adirondack or Albany have the arrogance to shut the door on a willing ECHL franchise. Small markets like Adirondack and Albany have to realize that the AHL in near future will be heading west, if your city isnt drawing 5000 or more you may be left with nothing. Rumor has it that once Abbotsford is open Vancouver's AHL club is going west so Utica in few years may just be in same position as the Ice Caps are in now.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Albany did make the playoffs in 2010 after the Devils moved out. Didn't really help attendance. They were 5th worst with average of 3751.

Artie Fufkin

Jan 11, 2014
Even when attendance in Albany was better, they still weren't making money. In the 17 year history of the River Rats, the team lost money every year, except one.

Tackla

Jul 2, 2013
Do any AHL teams make money? Seriously question. The ones I'm familiar with seem to all bleed money but the local governments take care of them in some way or another.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I dont see many teams with a significant surplus, I dont even see how Hershey makes a ton of money. Does Hershey own the Giant Center???? Hershey is totally an exception, definitely not the rule. There are so many areas a team needs to bring in revenue in addition to the gate revenue. So costly thats why it might be beneficial like Albany to be owned by your NHL team. I am sure the NHL clubs can write off the loss of their AHL teams and ultimately might benefit their bottom line but I am not a CPA so I don't know. I heard thats how Albany is able to sustain the AHL because the arena there is publicly owned but the building is paid for, there are no debts on that arena so they basically give whomever wants to come in one of the most favorable lease agreements in the American League. Few years back when the Portland Pirates were threatening to depart from Maine Albany threw every lease request their way but Portland knowing Albany would average leass then 4000 historically they used Albany to get a better deal in Maine. I gotta get up to game in Albany, I heard its actually a fun place to see a game when they get a decent crowd and I heard the views in Albany from the Hudson River are pretty dramatic. Only problem is we dont play them thise year and Albany never makes the playoffs lol. My Dads been to Albany for NCAA basketball years ago and he said the building was electric for basketball and its probably the closest most major league like city in Upstate NY..

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
I dont want to see a great hockeytown like Hartford though lose hockey at the expense of a place like Adirondack or Albany though which lacks the history of hockey that Hartford has unless Hartford had something better like hopefully the return of the NHL :)

The Adirondack Red Wings won 4 Calder Cups during their 20 year run.

The Hartford Whalers won 1 playoff round in 18 seasons.

Let's not get too revisionist with the "history" of hockey in Hartford. The Whalers were lovable losers, the Cubs in green with a neat little theme song. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
The Adirondack Red Wings won 4 Calder Cups during their 20 year run.

The Hartford Whalers won 1 playoff round in 18 seasons.

Let's not get too revisionist with the "history" of hockey in Hartford. The Whalers were lovable losers, the Cubs in green with a neat little theme song. Nothing more, nothing less.

But a losing team that draws fans is a better sportstown than a winning team that draws squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad