Player Discussion Who Made You Most Nervous Whenever He Touched the Puck

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I kinda remember loving scrudland and mcpheee. Tough and skilled from that lates 80's early 90's ear.
Hard as nails, heart and soul players. I also want to throw Mike Kean and the great Lyle Odelin into the conversation as well, those were the types of teams I loved. Nobody was going to intimidate us or kick our asses either. I want that back again, I want to feel some pride when I watch this team again!

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You are right you have never made him out to be what he is actually is. Must be a coincidence
38 in 81,
36 in 81
39 in 69 games this season

So again even though the season was shortened people will say "He never even hit 40 points"
I remember when some of the wizards around here use to say 30 points was a fluke and he is barely a 25 point guy with no hockey IQ. Some even went as far as "shouldn't even be in the NHL" to counter the DD comparisons.

In this thread someone saying, what you see is what you get at 15-18 goals is his limit, almost entirely from the 3rd line his entire career. While some people are praising Danault who has never had more than 13 goals even while playing top line with the habs.

Line comparison this season.

Guess who has : 1st line minutes, 1st line wingers, and which has 3rd line minutes, 3rd line wingers on each of their team.
Danault
2019-20Montreal CanadiensNHL71133447
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Eller
2019-20Washington CapitalsNHL69162339
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So was eller playing bad on Montreal or was it just some posters here are biassed against him?

Does anyone wonder why the caps won a cup and seem to be making the playoffs near the top of the standings each year, while we are happy participating in the playins and expecting to lose against the 9th place team?
Having a 3rd line center putting up 39 points while your own teams top center is putting up 47 points might be a pretty big reason. Yeah there is a reason some of think its a problem with Danault as our top line center. Can't wait to see the 7+million we sign danault to while eller will be costing the caps 3.5 million till 2023.

Might as well be a book titled "Building winners and building losers, red white and blue teams in opposite directions"
giphy.gif

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Starting with defensemen.

Peter Popovic. Handled the puck like it owed money to one of the Kostitysn brothers shady friends. Anytime he touched it, it was an adventure.

Craig Ludwig. He had two puck related moves. Block the puck and clear the puck. If he wasn’t doing one of those two things, bad things were about to happen.

Mike Komisarek. A modern Ludwig.

Jaro Spacek. Had the IQ of your average turnip,
and it would be touch and go on whether the turnip or Space Man would be the better puck handler.

Forwards:

Turner Stevenson. He had hands of stone, which helped him when he dropped the mitts, but did him no favours the rest of the time. Couldn’t put the puck in the ocean if he was standing on the beach.

Ed Ronan. I don’t think I ever saw Ronan skate more than 8 feet with the puck during his entire NHL career, which is pretty impressive.

Todd Ewen. The Animal’s job wasn’t to handle pucks so I probably shouldn’t be picking on him, but I picked him (barely) over John Kordic in the worst puck handling enforcer category (that I just randomly created myself). There’s a saying that goes “he could stick handle in a phone booth.” That didn’t apply to Todd.

Craig Darby was worst than any of them.

He looked like a damn peewee trying to carry the puck. The most awkward skater ive ever seen in the nhl

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We need more of this type of thinking from the guys running the team.
Gallagher and Weber come to mind when I think guts and pride.....Domi and Byron too.....need a few more...Struble and Romanov Come across as this type of player.....I’d even throw KK and Poehling in that mix.....maybe even Lafrenière :naughty:

As for players that made me nervous when they handled the puck....Galchenyuk and Beaulieu, same with Tokarski

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Probably P.K, not because he was bad at it, but because certain fans were just waiting for him to make a mistake.

Ellers another one, has to play a textbook shift or MT was going to staple him to the bench.

By the end of there tenures with the Habs I was anxious as hell whenever they were on the ice.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Gallagher and Weber come to mind when I think guts and pride.....Domi and Byron too.....need a few more...Struble and Romanov Come across as this type of player.....I’d even throw KK and Poehling in that mix.....maybe even Lafrenière :naughty:

As for players that made me nervous when they handled the puck....Galchenyuk and Beaulieu, same with Tokarski
Do you think that he is automatically ours? I am extremely hopeful about the prospect of getting him. If by some miracle from the hockey Gods that it does indeed happen, it would also potentially mean the end of Bergevin. If you think of it, the local media would no longer listen to the constant excuses from MB about not being able to make the team better. The province of Quebec has seen it's share of great hockey talent and Laf would become a God in Montreal and the people would embrace him and rightfully so! They would no longer accept mediocrity from MB and Molson, I feel as though that we would experience a rebirth of the franchise where pride rises back to the top and the scummy tub rings get wiped away.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hard as nails, heart and soul players. I also want to throw Mike Kean and the great Lyle Odelin into the conversation as well, those were the types of teams I loved. Nobody was going to intimidate us or kick our asses either. I want that back again, I want to feel some pride when I watch this team again!

The LOD would like a word...

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
You are right you have never made him out to be what he is actually is. Must be a coincidence
38 in 81,
36 in 81
39 in 69 games this season

So again even though the season was shortened people will say "He never even hit 40 points"
I remember when some of the wizards around here use to say 30 points was a fluke and he is barely a 25 point guy with no hockey IQ. Some even went as far as "shouldn't even be in the NHL" to counter the DD comparisons.

In this thread someone saying, what you see is what you get at 15-18 goals is his limit, almost entirely from the 3rd line his entire career. While some people are praising Danault who has never had more than 13 goals even while playing top line with the habs.

Line comparison this season.

Guess who has : 1st line minutes, 1st line wingers, and which has 3rd line minutes, 3rd line wingers on each of their team.
Danault
2019-20Montreal CanadiensNHL71133447
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Eller
2019-20Washington CapitalsNHL69162339
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So was eller playing bad on Montreal or was it just some posters here are biassed against him?

Does anyone wonder why the caps won a cup and seem to be making the playoffs near the top of the standings each year, while we are happy participating in the playins and expecting to lose against the 9th place team?
Having a 3rd line center putting up 39 points while your own teams top center is putting up 47 points might be a pretty big reason. Yeah there is a reason some of think its a problem with Danault as our top line center. Can't wait to see the 7+million we sign danault to while eller will be costing the caps 3.5 million till 2023.

Might as well be a book titled "Building winners and building losers, red white and blue teams in opposite directions"

I'd still take Danault as a 3rd C if I'd have a choice between both. Does that make me a bad person ?

Reactions: Dutronc

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I think the team had sufficient toughness and heaviness right up to the late 90s.

Late 90s had characters like ulanov, rivet, Malakhov, manson, Thornton, and stevenson.

Sometime in the 2000s, the habs got the smurf label, and by 2010, there was almost a double down mentality on that at least up front when they signed Gomez, gionta, and Cammalleri in the same summer.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Russ Courtnall. Great speed, but constantly overskated the puck while trying to carry it through the offensive zone.

And of course no balls Brisebois, who would simply get rid of the puck at the first sign of someone coming towards him.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd still take Danault as a 3rd C if I'd have a choice between both. Does that make me a bad person ?
Well he is without a doubt the better player and people here have a weird hate for Danault so no, that doesn't make you a bad person. Neither should be 1st line centers though. Danault is a passable 2nd line center, but ideally you want someone better.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Well he is without a doubt the better player and people here have a weird hate for Danault so no, that doesn't make you a bad person. Neither should be 1st line centers though. Danault is a passable 2nd line center, but ideally you want someone better.

Do people hate Danault or the fact he’s playing on the top line?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Do people hate Danault or the fact he’s playing on the top line?
Well some guineunly hate him. We dont really have anyone better than him. I remember when posters were telling me that Poehling was substantially better than Danault because of 1 game. KK wasnt even an NHLer this year so let's stop pretending like he could have handled those minutes. The only valid argument is Suzuki who I think has been excellent so far and his getting his PP time with the best players, pretty good for his rookie year.

And of course some posters hold him largely responsible in the series against the Rangers when his ice time wasnt even high and it was his first ever playoff.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
And of course no balls Brisebois, who would simply get rid of the puck at the first sign of someone coming towards him.
Seems he had more balls to challenge.. Bob Hartley.......

Another nomination. Wasn't Antti Niemi pretty bad playing the puck?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dutronc

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Danault is easily better than Eller......... much higher IQ.

He is definitely better than Eller. He will also cost significantly more very soon. But he's not as good as some guys say he is. I mean he's being touted by some fans and the media as a top 3 defensive forward in the league. He's good but i would rank him close to where Plekanec was defensively speaking. Maybe a little bit better but not much.

Offensively he plays a lot with skilled top 6 wingers and can barely reach the 50 points mark. Reduce the TOI on a winning team and he's a 40 points player. Plekanec was producing as much as him while often playing with grinders on the 2nd line. Plekanec played half a year with Moen/Darche/Blunden and still did 52 points. When Plekanec was given the first line duty with skilled wingers he did much better offensively speaking.

Danault is somewhere in between Plekanec and Eller. But those who consider him as good and even better than Plekanec are not any better than those considering him as "bad" as Eller.

Last edited:

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
You do realize it was all scripted right? That TV show was stupid.
That explains why Brisebois said about an opposing player, fighting his player, that if he met this guy in pick up hockey, that he was going to "y mette ça des dents" (get him good). I knew That was out of character for Breezer. lol

Reactions: DavePeak

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
You do realize it was all scripted right? That TV show was stupid.
That was the hockey reality TV show where an amateur team from Montreal faced an amateur team from Quebec city right? During the last lockout? I remember not watching the show, but it looked awful. Any good stuff from that show?

(OT: who remembers Bell Challenge?)

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I think the team had sufficient toughness and heaviness right up to the late 90s.

Late 90s had characters like ulanov, rivet, Malakhov, manson, Thornton, and stevenson.

Sometime in the 2000s, the habs got the smurf label, and by 2010, there was almost a double down mentality on that at least up front when they signed Gomez, gionta, and Cammalleri in the same summer.
I don't want to blame Gainey here BUT in 2009 I believe, he cleaned the house. It was a few years past the lockout and everyone figured out the game was now based on speed, that size didn't matter anymore. We now see that size will always have a certain impact, especially in the playoffs where the whistle is nowhere to be found. It was smart to go with small speedsters but it wasn't the solution. I'm lucky to have witnessed, over the years, 2 players wearing the number 11 who play their heart out as if they were a foot taller and 20-40 pounds heavier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc McKenna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad