Who lasts longer in Columbus?

Who lasts longer in Columbus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
With news reported from Pierre LeBrun that there is little interest in Elvis due to the contract and overall play, who lasts longer?

Elvis may not get traded until the Summer while most of us hope Jarmo doesn't make it to the trade deadline.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Even if a desperate team would want Elvis, lebrun's read on the situation seems to be spot on to me.

So Elvis is the winner by default!

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Hope that Jarmo. Elvis is not 1G and we need to try and see if Tarasov will be it, which requires more games and not just against teams Jets and Kraken, in which the shooters had excellent shooting positions. Or maybe Greaves will suprise.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Out of the two, one is very egocentric and one is pure business.

For me, business wins here. There's rationality to Jarmo, Elvis is voodoo and ghosts. I have no room for ghosts.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not convinced ownership actually wants to move on from Jarmo. Because if they did they would have done it after the Babcock shit. I know they said at the time they wanted to mitigate the noise and get a sense of normalcy, but I don't buy it. If Jarmo was truly on the hot seat last year (hense the Provorov/Severson deals) then i feel like that would have pushed it over the edge.

Plus, if Jarmo IS fired then that would likely mean Vincent would be on the chopping block too since the new GM would want his own coach. That would mean ownership is paying 2 coaches not to coach (since I think Larsen's contract expires after this year) with one of them (babcock) being a pretty decent number as well as the new coaches salary (so 3 in total). Just don't see it happening.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
All the talk about ownership and what they'll do in the GM situation, I don't think they consider themselves to be deciding on the GM. They think the best way to run a team, and you'll find plenty around the league who will praise them for it, is to put a hockey man at the helm and stay out. That would mean that the GM is JD's decision.

It's also possible that JD has plans to retire soon, and ownership knows his plans and is leaving the GM matter to the next Team President.

Plus, if Jarmo IS fired then that would likely mean Vincent would be on the chopping block too since the new GM would want his own coach. That would mean ownership is paying 2 coaches not to coach (since I think Larsen's contract expires after this year) with one of them (babcock) being a pretty decent number as well as the new coaches salary (so 3 in total). Just don't see it happening.

I've seen many times that the coach stays when the GM gets fired. Both times in the Jackets history that they fired a GM, they kept the coach for years.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Probably Jarmo, if only because he (currently) has the power to move out Elvis.

Plenty of rumblings there's no real interest in Elvis at his current cap hit and term, so it won't be easy (plus, per usual, the CBJ have made this messy and lost a ton of leverage).

There's a 10 day break coming up. If JD or ownership didn't want Jarmo making short sighted moves at the TDL that would be a natural transition to an interim (Flynn?).

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
If Jarmo isn't gone by the beginning of next season, I quit being a Blue Jackets fan until he is.

That said, I don't trust ownership to follow through on that one bit.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
If Jarmo isn't gone by the beginning of next season, I quit being a Blue Jackets fan until he is.

Does he like go exposing himself to children and punch the elderly or what is it that makes him this bad?

Almost sounds like we just lost to the last place team! So it's weird because we just beat the first place team. Did it with the youngest roster in the league or close to it.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If Elvis can't be traded, we can put him on the waiver draft. It might be harsh, but with his salady and desire to leave it might be the only option. If someone wants him, it'll take it.

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
Does he like go exposing himself to children and punch the elderly or what is it that makes him this bad?

Almost sounds like we just lost to the last place team! So it's weird because we just beat the first place team. Did it with the youngest roster in the league or close to it.
You can engage with this faux-confused "what did this guy do" schtick but the fact remains that this team has won 39 of the last 126 games dating back to last season, out of the playoffs for going on four straight years, the defense flat out sucks, stupid contract after stupid contract given out, hired a hard-ass coach who was such a dinosaur he couldn't even make it to training camp without pissing people off.

To your other dumb point, WHOA YOU'RE RIGHT, WE WON ONE GAME AND MY DISGRUNTLEMENT IS CURED WHAT WAS I THINKING

Reactions: Forepar

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
All the talk about ownership and what they'll do in the GM situation, I don't think they consider themselves to be deciding on the GM. They think the best way to run a team, and you'll find plenty around the league who will praise them for it, is to put a hockey man at the helm and stay out. That would mean that the GM is JD's decision.

It's also possible that JD has plans to retire soon, and ownership knows his plans and is leaving the GM matter to the next Team President.

I've seen many times that the coach stays when the GM gets fired. Both times in the Jackets history that they fired a GM, they kept the coach for years.
I've suspected since long before the Babcock debacle (which I think they should've all been fired for) that the longterm plan is for JD to retire and Jarmo to move up to his position and a new GM to be either promoted from within or hired. I'm not sure I particularly care anymore, but that would at least allow the current amateur scouting staff to remain in place, and them I very much want to remain in place.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If Elvis can't be traded, we can put him on the waiver draft. It might be harsh, but with his salady and desire to leave it might be the only option. If someone wants him, it'll take it.
Nobody will want the contract without giving away a contract in return. Waivers will accomplish nothing because nobody has the cap space for it. And tey sure as hell aren't going to send him to Cleveland unless jarmo chooses to do it out of spite. He should leave Cleveland alone.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Well, he gives out bad contracts, alienates people during contract negotiations, really overhypes his favorite prospects, goes to extreme and hired a disaster of a coach, did it again with an even worse coach, then got stuck hiring Pascal after passing him over twice because he was the best option at the time, hired a defensive coach who also got fired before ever coaching a game because he wouldn't follow COVID regulations, got stuck hiring the only convenient defense coach in return who hasn't really seemed to show he's a good fit for the job.

I'm sure there are other things people could list but my confidence in leadership of this team is at the lowest point it has ever been.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I assume Elvis goes first. It will be swapping one bad contract for another IMO.

Jarmo I still think gets canned after the season.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You can engage with this faux-confused "what did this guy do" schtick but the fact remains that this team has won 39 of the last 126 games dating back to last season, out of the playoffs for going on four straight years, the defense flat out sucks, stupid contract after stupid contract given out, hired a hard-ass coach who was such a dinosaur he couldn't even make it to training camp without pissing people off.

To your other dumb point, WHOA YOU'RE RIGHT, WE WON ONE GAME AND MY DISGRUNTLEMENT IS CURED WHAT WAS I THINKING
It blows my mind that a last minute fill in, (because Lefabve refused the Vax and was canned) , McCarthy has flown under the radar of accountability . He’s a first time nhl assistant, our defense has been brutal the past 3 years , and you pair that with 2 rookie head coaches . Jarmo deserves to be fired into the sun.. brutal contracts … a team with no leadership in the room, paying multiple head coaches because he’s made bad hires .. he’s a good scout, and a horrible gm. His people skills suck, and we go into season after season without him fixing the major holes this team has

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Nobody will want the contract without giving away a contract in return. Waivers will accomplish nothing because nobody has the cap space for it. And tey sure as hell aren't going to send him to Cleveland unless jarmo chooses to do it out of spite. He should leave Cleveland alone.
It would be bad for the Monsters, as his arrival could have a bad effect on the collective. So unless he was technically sent to Cleveland, he wouldn't actually play there. Second thing, the contract. Theoretically, Campbell could be traded for Elvis. But Jack also has M-NTC and it's questionable whether or not CBJ has CBJ on the list of teams where he's game to be traded. The other option is keeping some of the salary for a 5-7 round pick. Except that would require us to take on half the salary. I doubt 1/3 would be enough.

Btw, it would be really interesting to know if any team would take him in the waiver draft. :huh:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It would be bad for the Monsters, as his arrival could have a bad effect on the collective. So unless he was technically sent to Cleveland, he wouldn't actually play there. Second thing, the contract. Theoretically, Campbell could be traded for Elvis. But Jack also has M-NTC and it's questionable whether or not CBJ has CBJ on the list of teams where he's game to be traded. The other option is keeping some of the salary for a 5-7 round pick. Except that would require us to take on half the salary. I doubt 1/3 would be enough.

Btw, it would be really interesting to know if any team would take him in the waiver draft. :huh:
I can guarentee noone would. You have to trade him for salary and/or retain or buy him out.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I do not think Jarmo is going anywhere. With this ownership group, the most likely scenario is that JD retires, Jarmo is promoted to President of Hockey Operations and Rick Nash is promoted to GM.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I would love to know in what world Jack Campbell is an upgrade on Elvis and how that fixes any problems.

Salary retention is no doubt in play if they insist on moving him but I still have doubts we have a better option in goal. Martin and Tarasov aren't it and we aren't getting a better solution in return. I'll trade anybody if the team gets better but I don't see a scenario where any move makes the team better.

I do not think Jarmo is going anywhere. With this ownership group, the most likely scenario is that JD retires, Jarmo is promoted to President of Hockey Operations and Rick Nash is promoted to GM.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose​

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm not convinced ownership actually wants to move on from Jarmo. Because if they did they would have done it after the Babcock shit. I know they said at the time they wanted to mitigate the noise and get a sense of normalcy, but I don't buy it. If Jarmo was truly on the hot seat last year (hense the Provorov/Severson deals) then i feel like that would have pushed it over the edge.

I'm in the same boat, it just doesn't have the feeling that he's going to be let go this season/off-season.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Buy him out - I doubt.
Stay - he wants the team to treat him like a number one, but in reality is he the number one goalie? How would he play if Vancouver players had the shooting positions that Winnipeg and Seattle players have?
Trade - where?

Last edited:
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I would love to know in what world Jack Campbell is an upgrade on Elvis and how that fixes any problems.

Salary retention is no doubt in play if they insist on moving him but I still have doubts we have a better option in goal. Martin and Tarasov aren't it and we aren't getting a better solution in return. I'll trade anybody if the team gets better but I don't see a scenario where any move makes the team better.
We have to remember that Tarasov's play was influenced by injuries, he has to get used to playing more games. Besides, if I have to compare the last few games, the defence had vacation in the games against the Jets and the Krakens, it was much better against the Canucks. Not to forget that the fourth line has improved with Kuraly's return.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
We have to remember that Tarasov's play was influenced by injuries, he has to get used to playing more games. Besides, if I have to compare the last few games, the defence had vacation in the games against the Jets and the Krakens, it was much better against the Canucks. Not to forget that the fourth line has improved with Kuraly's return.
Tarasov is letting a golden oppotunity slip away. All his injuries and lack of games could be affecting him, but you never know when your chance is coming, and you need to be ready for it. He has let in some I am sure he wants back. He needs to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad