Who is you least favorite player for the franchise?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Ryan Carter, Tom Kostopoulos, and Ian White. All three of these guys hated playing here and seemed to be pouting that they were banished to the Southeast Division. No pride in being NHLers at all. I'm glad they've all moved on.

Seriously, Kostopoulos? That guy gave his all for the canes, he just wasn't very good.

Beardy*

Let's face it, they're hockey players, and they're mostly a good group of guys. Even at the lowest barometer, as a group they don't approach the lowly status of many other sports. I won't consider anyone who played here for less than a year, and I didn't start paying daily attention to Hurricanes/hockey until Jan 2000. So, with those disclaimers...

It's probably a tie between Marek Malik and Chad LaRose, for different reasons. Malik because he was the worst player and aggravated me the most of any player, but LaRose due to the length of time that he has taken a roster spot. However, I've somewhat come to terms with LaRose, because his numbers are difficult to argue with and the fact that his coaches have trusted him cannot be ignored. But even with all of that rationality in place in my brain, it certainly didn't pain me to see him get scratched on Thursday.

Sean Hill in his final days was difficult to stomach. Those 225 PIMs in his last two years here came 2 minutes at a time, and they weren't for roughing.

I never understood the hate that Malik took year after year here... He led the team in plus minus basically every year and was very good at helping to keep the puck out of and away from the net. People expected him to be the next Pronger, which was completely unfair.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I never understood the hate that Malik took year after year here... He led the team in plus minus basically every year and was very good at helping to keep the puck out of and away from the net. People expected him to be the next Pronger, which was completely unfair.

People disliked him because he was a little soft and never used his size, but I always thought he was a pretty solid guy. If he had been 5-10 instead of 6-6 and played the same way he wouldn't have caught nearly as much flak. this team has had much worse d-men than him since he left.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
What problems *didn't* Malik have? He was slow, very little skill, didn't have any defensive sense, and must've thought that icing the puck was a good idea.

I didn't know Pronger...I knew Malik. He was terrible and slow in the days before being terrible and slow were truly exposed (during the "new NHL" period). Once the ice opened up, he was gone.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
What did Roberts do/say?

I forget his exact quote, and my lazy google search didn't find it (someone with more motivation than me, have at 'er :laugh:)

But it was something along the lines that he publicly said (in the Hockey News IIRC) that he left Carolina for the Leafs cause he wanted a shot at a cup before he retired.

Then we proceded to curb stomp Toronto in the 02 ECF and won a cup a few years later while he wasted away into nothingness. Or something to that effect :D

Razputyn

Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
How do you guys actually know that people like Belanger, Carter, Kostopoulos, etc. didn't like it here?

These posts should be sourced. I want to read if they've said things.

I know Belanger apparently (if I recall correctly) had some issue with French-language support in the area, but still.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
What problems *didn't* Malik have? He was slow, very little skill, didn't have any defensive sense, and must've thought that icing the puck was a good idea.

I didn't know Pronger...I knew Malik. He was terrible and slow in the days before being terrible and slow were truly exposed (during the "new NHL" period). Once the ice opened up, he was gone.

Malik was a BIG guy who refused to use his body or size to his advantage. And that alone rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. If you're big and slow, you should hopefully, at least, be physical. This guy was Charmin soft. The guy made a ton of boneheaded mistakes and took lazy penalties. He did eventually improve enough to be a decent 3rd pairing guy, and then there's that one penalty shot that hes best known for now. But otherwise, he was a huge disappointment to many people who watched the games.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
How do you guys actually know that people like Belanger, Carter, Kostopoulos, etc. didn't like it here?

These posts should be sourced. I want to read if they've said things.

I know Belanger apparently (if I recall correctly) had some issue with French-language support in the area, but still.

belanger was a pouting puss from day 1 he was here--i wanted to write down larose but i really dont hate him i just hate the way he is used should be permanent bottom 6 -i didnt have any problem w/ grahame and kinda liked him how can you dislike a goalie who paints his mask like a nascar driver-belanger is it for me:p:

Razputyn

Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Guy speaks English just fine. What are you talking about?

Or is there a large French-speaking community in LA, Minnesota, Edmonton etc. that I'm not aware of?

This was the rumor that was going around at the time. He didn't fit in and it had something to do with the lack of a French community in the area.

That's why it'd be nice to see things sourced. It's hard to separate the real from the rumor.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
This was the rumor that was going around at the time. He didn't fit in and it had something to do with the lack of a French community in the area.

That's why it'd be nice to see things sourced. It's hard to separate the real from the rumor.

And lack of a French community is absurd. I've met more French people here than any other place I've been outside of France. Hell, there's regularly French bakers coming over here to intern with Lionel Vatinet at La Farm.

Belanger is up there for me, as is Patrick Eaves. A perpetually pouty primadonna on skates who was largely useless.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Don't get me started on that friggin guy and his shoe collection. I had actually forgotten about him.

Haha. I was just going to bring up his shoes. I always liked Eaves skill set but he could never put it together. He had good size and speed. Always wanted him to turn into that elite 3rd liner that was a beast on the PK but he was too busy buying pumps on amazon.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'd forgotten about his shoe collection! What I didn't forget is that whenever he'd disappear into the dressing room for some injury or equipment issue my wife would comment "Hmm...looks like Patricia broke a nail again."

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I never really knew much about the Eaves shoe collection thing. Can somebody explain what the big deal was?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad