Roger's Pancreas*

hifk88 said:
Evgeni Malkin RUS
Tuukka Rask FIN
Phil Kessel USA
Justin Pogge CAN
Dustin Boyd CAN

Someone else?Who? :dunno:

From what I've read Eric Johnson should be in Phil Kessel's spot and Kessel shouldn't even be on the map. Evgeni definately wins it though, every time he was on the ice I knew it and I'm only listening to the radio.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Khoudobin
Malkin
Pogge
Rask
Kessel
E. Johnson

Those are probably the top candiates

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If Russia wins I have to go with Khudobin. For someone who was supposed to be the Russians' weak link he's been very good.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Malkin. Best player in the tournament and best offensively along with Lascek (but malkin has like 1-2 less games)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
All the individual hardware is still up for grabs heading into today's games. That's pretty incredible actually.

Malkin is the odds on favourite for tournament MVP/top forward, but if he gets shut down tonight the door is wide open. If a guy like Dustin Boyd pots a couple and a game winner he could get it. If Pogge stands on his head he could even get the MVP. If Oshie, Bourque or Kessel get a few meaningful points and win the bronze they could get it - but highly unlikely. It would really take a strong performance to win it over Malkin right now.

Top defenceman will probably be Jack Johnson. I'd say he's got a strong hold on that one.

Top goalie will be the winner tonight. If Pogge gets shelled and only gives up one or two but losses he still me win it, but that isn't true for Khudobin. I can't see anyone else getting it but Schnieder and Rask deserve a bit of consideration. Not enough to win the trophy though.

time

Feb 26, 2005
Le Golie said:
All the individual hardware is still up for grabs heading into today's games. That's pretty incredible actually.

Malkin is the odds on favourite for tournament MVP/top forward, but if he gets shut down tonight the door is wide open. If a guy like Dustin Boyd pots a couple and a game winner he could get it. If Pogge stands on his head he could even get the MVP. If Oshie, Bourque or Kessel get a few meaningful points and win the bronze they could get it - but highly unlikely. It would really take a strong performance to win it over Malkin right now.

Top defenceman will probably be Jack Johnson. I'd say he's got a strong hold on that one.

Top goalie will be the winner tonight. If Pogge gets shelled and only gives up one or two but losses he still me win it, but that isn't true for Khudobin. I can't see anyone else getting it but Schnieder and Rask deserve a bit of consideration. Not enough to win the trophy though.

Malkin will get MVP. I am afraid of American flames, but I really don't think JJ deserves the top D. He was on for key goals during the semis. The best D in the tournament have been Canadians, although no one in particular has stood head and shoulders above the rest (maybe, Stall?).

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Kel Varnsen said:
If Rask plays like he did vs Sweden he will be a candidate for MVP.

If the US can get any decent scoring chances (which Sweden didn't) then he won't play like he did against Sweden.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
time said:
Malkin will get MVP. I am afraid of American flames, but I really don't think JJ deserves the top D. He was on for key goals during the semis. The best D in the tournament have been Canadians, although no one in particular has stood head and shoulders above the rest (maybe, Stall?).

Again, when we put individual players under the microscope for what they do on a few shifts and ignore their body of work throughout a game, season, or tournament it's going too far. Jack Johnson played more minutes, more key minutes than any other defenseman in this tourney, was used in all situations, and played against the other team's best players each game. A few mistakes here and there shouldn't take away from that. He has been the best D-man in the WJC's this year.

Last edited:

Telecaster

Aug 18, 2005
Stockholm
Le Golie said:
If the US can get any decent scoring chances (which Sweden didn't) then he won't play like he did against Sweden.

True, but this is all speculation, we just have to wait and see. :)

Should be a great game!

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
You are not going to win a Tourney MVP if you are not in the gold medal game.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Le Golie said:
You can make a weak case for Rask as the top goalie, but tournament MVP is out of the question.

I disagree, Rask was the only reason Finland made it to the Bronze, and the only reason they look like they might win it.

Rask is clearly Finlands MVP, and every other team (basically) has a few players who could be called their MVP, its for that reason that I'd say Rask has a bit better than a "weak case" at the best goalie, and why MVP is not "out of the question".

I don't expect him to win it, but he's definitely up there.

Malkin for me.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Boyd has played well but I'm inclined to think Downie has been the true catalyst on that line. Not only is a he a masterful antagonist, he also has very soft hands. Terrific playmaking abilities. If Canada wins gold and the MVP winds up as a Canadian forward, I'd give it to Downie before Boyd.

That said, even if Canada wins, I don't expect Malkin to be completely shut down in the final and I suspect he will (deservingly) win the award. (or if a Canadian were to win it, I doubt it is a forward.)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
GregStack said:
I disagree, Rask was the only reason Finland made it to the Bronze, and the only reason they look like they might win it.

Rask is clearly Finlands MVP, and every other team (basically) has a few players who could be called their MVP, its for that reason that I'd say Rask has a bit better than a "weak case" at the best goalie, and why MVP is not "out of the question".

I don't expect him to win it, but he's definitely up there.

Malkin for me.

I don't agree with you. He has inflated stats because he team has been very good at forcing perimeter shots and not allowing traffic in front of him. He certainly hasn't been spectacular, despite his shot total. He played really good against Sweden, but any goal he would have let up that night would have been a bad one, considering the lack of any great scoring chance. He has his team in the bronze medal game and that's fine, but that's not enough for MVP. The MVP will come from Russia or Canada. Rask is not getting any serious consideration for tournament MVP in my opinion.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Le Golie said:
I don't agree with you. He has inflated stats because he team has been very good at forcing perimeter shots and not allowing traffic in front of him. He certainly hasn't been spectacular, despite his shot total. He played really good against Sweden, but any goal he would have let up that night would have been a bad one, considering the lack of any great scoring chance. He has his team in the bronze medal game and that's fine, but that's not enough for MVP. The MVP will come from Russia or Canada. Rask is not getting any serious consideration for tournament MVP in my opinion.

I know you didn't like Rask prior to this tournament and I wonder if that sentiment is clouding your judgement. We must be watching different games because I don't think Finland has played as good defensively as you're making it seem.

I don't think Rask is in contention for the MVP but for you to say "he certainly hasn't been spectacular" is rather off-base IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad