Who is the most universally respected video game developer right now?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
If you want to claim the New Super Mario Bros. series is a fresh take on the franchise and are great games go ahead. But the levels are extremely bland, it has the same old art style and music and yes it's a rehash of games they made decades ago but it's not even as good as those were.

Like I said some of these sequels are great like Super Mario Galaxy, some of them are lazy like New Super Mario Bros.
How is Mario 3D world a "meh" game?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
So you think NSMB is a remake of the original SMB?

Think carefully on how you answer that.

No, it's more like a modern take on the old 2D Mario games in general, not a remake of any particular game. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything new or interesting. There was certainly room to re-imagine the 2D Mario games and breath new life into that franchise, it was a wasted opportunity. You'd expect if they were just going to be the same old 2D Mario games that everyone had played so long ago that it would at least be really well-executed with imaginative levels, but it wasn't even that. Just a meh game, all I got out of it was a little nostalgia and the urge to play through the better original games again.

Nintendo also does a great job with some of these old franchises sometimes, the Zelda games almost always feel fresh. But they're just not consistent enough for me to put them up quite at the top of this list.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Scs software I think is well respected. For those of you who don’t know who they are, they’re the ones who make European and American Truck Simulator. They’re no AAA gaming company, but their dlc always tops the steam charts on the day of release

Reactions: hangman005

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Where did he say it was?
Nintendo: Gets by a bit too much on remaking 30+ year old games over and over for me personally. Some times this results in brillant new renditions of old ideas like BoTW, other times it's another meh Mario game like Mario 3D World or the New Super Mario Bros games. A bit of a mixed bag, there's great stuff in there amongst a lot of filler. Their games have a great level of polish, you don't expect to see many bugs in their work.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
How is Mario 3D world a "meh" game?

It was a huge step down from Super Mario Galaxy/Super Mario Galaxy 2. It felt like more of a throw away type game, just an okay game to play through once. There was nothing memorable in that one for me, no real reason to ever come back to it.

The camera was a bit annoying and the levels aren't very good until you get through a few of the worlds. I think the multiplayer focus didn't help the level design, many of them felt too large and barren to accommodate more players. Visually the game was a bit uninspired, there's just a lot of blocks not enough of a theme or feel to the game and levels.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It was a huge step down from Super Mario Galaxy/Super Mario Galaxy 2. It felt like more of a throw away type game, just an okay game to play through once. There was nothing memorable in that one for me, no real reason to ever come back to it.

The camera was a bit annoying and the levels aren't very good until you get through a few of the worlds. I think the multiplayer focus didn't help the level design, many of them felt too large and barren to accommodate more players. Visually the game was a bit uninspired, there's just a lot of blocks not enough of a theme or feel to the game and levels.

You not liking something doesn't mean it is rehashed or a remake. By your standards Mario 3 is a rehash of the first game. The claim that Nintendo gets the recognition it gets thanks to rehashes and remakes is simply not true at worst (or has always been true at best)

I don't like Dark Souls, it isn't made for me, but I don't think any less of it for it.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
You not liking something doesn't mean it is rehashed or a remake. By your standards Mario 3 is a rehash of the first game. The claim that Nintendo gets the recognition it gets thanks to rehashes and remakes is simply not true at worst (or has always been true at best)

I don't like Dark Souls, it isn't made for me, but I don't think any less of it for it.

If you read the quoted post you'll see how that was a response to how it was a "meh" game, not how it was a rehash...

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I'm shocked to hear CD Projekt Red took 5 replies to be mentioned...

Rockstar in terms of actual games and obviously less so with how their employees are treated. Naughty Dog seems like a good bet.
I don't think Rockstar is even that respected anymore. People have been shitting on them for years with how they kept staggering GTA V releases to try to get multiple sales on the same game, there are a lot of people who bought it for PS3, then PS4, then again for PC, all like 2 years apart each. They're probably going to do the same with RDR2, I know there has been leaks about a PC version pretty much since it came out but they'll probably wait a couple years so they can try to milk multiple sales from that too. Not to mention how much people rip on their awful microtransactions for online mode.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I find the general concept of the GTA franchise itself pretty uninteresting and lacking in genuine value to begin with, personally. Its mechanics aren't noteworthy, its storytelling is p*ss poor, it's riddled with tone-deaf on-the-nose bro-humor posturing as "satire", and the only thing it's particularly good at-- technically cutting edge graphics, immersive scale and mindless do-anything escapism for its own sake-- is such a shallow and non-worthwhile form of appeal, in my opinion.

Reactions: ArGarBarGar

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
CDK is basically the new Valve. Only a few titles but an amazing game dev and with a growing digital platform. Ironically while they've been getting flak for crunch time recently that may be what kind of did Valve in as a game developer. There's an old lengthy article interviewing Gabe Newell about the development of Half Life 2 with a lot of focus on how brutal and stressful it was (crunch crunch crunch) and in the end said he never wanted to put his developers through that again. They've put out a few smaller projects since then but no major projects since as they mostly focus on Steam.

Anyways... I'd still say the top is Nintendo. Just have to respect how they've been at the top of the game for so damn long being not only doing the simple iterations but being able to re-invent long standing franchises and come up with new ones without ever losing their way. They can still be a bit embarrassing with multiplayer of course, but everyone's used to that by now and you can forgive one chink in the armour.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As much as people love to (deservedly) trash some of Nintendo's practices, I also can't help but admire them for being willing to stew in their eccentricities, march to the beat of their own drum, and make random crazy creative decisions that completely ignore consumer demand and somehow miraculous work out surprisingly frequently. Tetris 99 being the most recent one.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Nintendo continues to survive and even thrive despite people thinking they would long go third party at best.

Their games are always quality. Even if they aren’t your cup a tea, you can’t deny that they don’t put out half finished games. They don’t need three patches just to get stable.

Doesn’t mean they don’t do weird and stupid shit, especially when it comes to online.

Reactions: Beau Knows

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The one thing you know with Nintendo is that all their games will control near-perfectly.

It's amazing how some developers will spend so much effort on cutscenes and other trinkets yet you will end up fighting the controls as much as the enemies.

Reactions: Beau Knows

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Most of what's been said. CDPR seems to get the most love. From is good. You know what the games are going to be, but you also know what the quality is going to be as well.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
My problem with Nintendo is how expensive their games are. Games that have been out for years on Wii U are ported to Switch and are still $60 over a year after the Switch release... I heard the Link's Awakening remake, a game originally 26 years old now, is also going to be $60. It's not even like Breath of the Wild quality, looks like a 3DS port, and it's $60 for a game they don't have to create any new content for.

I know their online is awful too, I never use it, but I did claim my free year with Twitch Prime. Their emulation set up is awful. You're pretty much renting NES games and they release them so slowly. There's no reason they couldn't have just released the entire NES library and sold access to each individual game for a few dollars and just left it at that. I probably would spent more money on games and bought some old NES games I'd like to replay than to spend money on subscriptions to keep getting access to them.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Scs software I think is well respected. For those of you who don’t know who they are, they’re the ones who make European and American Truck Simulator. They’re no AAA gaming company, but their dlc always tops the steam charts on the day of release
Washington is absolutely gorgeous, can’t wait til Utah and Idaho are done to box the map out a bit.

Also I think ETS is usually one of the top pirated games, which is a shame, I think I got it to try... bought the game later on that day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad