Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Rob Blake

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
With the exit interviews in the book, the biggest can kicked down the road is the next head coach. There are a lot of questions whoever carries the water next season.

The system?
Line combos?
Salary?
Assistants?
Pierre’s confidence?
The whole team’s confidence?
Kopitar and Doughty’s minutes?
Clarke and Spence’s minutes?
QB and Pierre as centers or wings?
Akil, Turc, Arty worth a shit or not?
Is the goalie expensive, old or a journeyman who is this year’s Felix Potvin?
Can you make the playoffs?
Are you facing Edmonton?
Did you coach Rob Blake?

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
I didn't answer the question which you asked, but answered who I'd hope to be brought in amongst the options given -- Berube. It's only a slight edge, but the fact that he has a reputation of being tough and holding players accountable is appealing to me. However, I doubt he would have a lot of success if BLuc continue to steer the boat in circles while still in the harbor.

Reactions: Schmooley

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i see no reason hiller doesn't stay in place now, too easy for them to spin a "new exciting system" as the solution

that is unless he asks for "f*** you" money intentionally to get out

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
I didn't answer the question which you asked, but answered who I'd hope to be brought in amongst the options given -- Berube. It's only a slight edge, but the fact that he has a reputation of being tough and holding players accountable is appealing to me. However, I doubt he would have a lot of success if BLuc continue to steer the boat in circles while still in the harbor.
Agree, it ought to be Berube. I was all in on the Gallant train until I heard Ranger's fans talk shit about him, so no thanks. Either way it has to be someone to whip PLD in shape by sitting his lazy ass when necessary.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Todd is getting $30M for his services, assuming he doesn’t take a job this fall and his extension wasn’t a pay cut.

So, your budget for coach is knee capped out the gate. Doesn’t leave Rob much flexibility, just like the NHL roster.

I think that eliminates anyone looking for more than $3.5M a season. And the best coaches are looking for more than that over multiple seasons.

By all appearances, Blake is a dead man walking. So he’s in no position win a bidding war for a top coach. Especially since he didn’t play for any of the guys who are highly sought after.

I say Hiller, DJ and Dave are all back for another run.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Todd is getting $30M for his services, assuming he doesn’t take a job this fall and his extension wasn’t a pay cut.

So, your budget for coach is knee capped out the gate. Doesn’t leave Rob much flexibility, just like the NHL roster.

I think that eliminates anyone looking for more than $3.5M a season. And the best coaches are looking for more than that over multiple seasons.

By all appearances, Blake is a dead man walking. So he’s in no position win a bidding war for a top coach. Especially since he didn’t play for any of the guys who are highly sought after.

You're probably right, honestly. Especially after watching that abomination of a press conference by BLuc.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006

30 million? Didn't he only have one year left when he was fired?

Jun 30, 2006
They stopped short of saying Hiller will return, they almost confirmed it and sounds like they will continue with Hiller. And why not? They are all buddies.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
The most important thing next year, IMO, is that Byfield plays 1/2C and Clarke plays 2RD all year long. I've been fine with Byfield playing wing with Kopi the last two years for mentorship and having an easier role when playing top line minutes as a 21-and-under-kid, but it's time to give him the consistent reps at the position he should be playing at and the position this team NEEDS him to play at. Clarke will not be given more ice-time than Doughty for another year or two certainly, but he needs to be playing 18-minutes a night on overage over the season (maybe early on it's more 16, later on closer to 20). If these things are not done next year, the Kings will be doing irrevocable damage to these players careers (physically/mechanically/reps and mentally/confidence), and therefore, their effectiveness for the team.

I'm sure he's saying 30mil accumulatively (5 mil per season, first deal was 5 years with an extra year for 24/25 added at the begining of this past season).

Reactions: lumbergh

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
1715037110111.png

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
One of the guys already in place including Marco Sturm.

They're not gonna waste any money while paying TM and no one else is going to come here voluntarily when Luc, Bergevin, and Brisson are coaching the team from their cocktail lounge, that's career suicide

no need to hire a 'good' high priced coach when they aren't a yes man

Reactions: LAKings88

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
If Marco Sturm takes the Reign on a long Calder Cup run, I would think you have to at least consider him.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It sounds like they're sticking with Hiller.

I'm ambivalent to that. He did great when revitalizing the powerplay and wouldn't mind him staying in that capacity... provided of course he actually changes things.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I have a feeling after that presser that Blake is going to keep Hiller. It is f***ing whatever at this point. Sounds like the guys like playing for him more than they like winning hockey games so...

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
I have a feeling after that presser that Blake is going to keep Hiller. It is f***ing whatever at this point. Sounds like the guys like playing for him more than they like winning hockey games so...
Just a hunch, but I bet BLuc is in ownership's doghouse for wasting 7.5 mil on games that Todd won't coach this past season and next, and he probably can't splurge on a new coach which makes Hiller a more attractive candidate to BLuc (as he won't have to push his luck selling a new big hire to AEG).

Reactions: DoktorJeep

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'll be really curious to see how the next HC handles Doughty and Kopitar's TOI next season.

Kopitar will be 37, Doughty 35.

Making a 35 year old log nearly the most ice time in the NHL is complete insanity. Kopitar at 37 leading all LA forwards would also be nuts.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Here is a rough template of what I want the lines to look like next year (while trying to stay somewhat realistic given the direction we know BLuc are still pursuing):

Fiala - Byfield - Kempe
Turcotte - Kopitar - Laferriere
Moore - Danault - Thomas
X (Grundstrom?) - Dubois - Fagemo

This, theoretically, give you the ability to run 4 lines where two of them are more offensively oriented (Byfield/Dubois) and two are more defensively oriented (Kopitar/Danault).

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Englund - Spence
Moverare

Cuz why not, I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad