Who is the greatest scorer? - 1969 article from The Hockey News comparing Howe, Richard & Hull

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
My apologies for having to ask, but those images are just about the exact wrong thing for my generally poor eyesight, and I'm afraid my head would explode if I tried to power my way though that. The first couple of pages are particularly hard for me to try and squint through. Could someone please summarize the substance of the article for me?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
My apologies for having to ask, but those images are just about the exact wrong thing for my generally poor eyesight, and I'm afraid my head would explode if I tried to power my way though that. The first couple of pages are particularly hard for me to try and squint through. Could someone please summarize the substance of the article for me?

A right click on the image should give you the option to open the link in a new tab or in a new window. Doing that will enable you to zoom in properly.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
An interesting part from the article:

Gordie probably does more work defensively than did Richard or than does Hull. Neither Hull nor the Rocket really considered it necessary to work at mundane duties like backchecking and forechecking. Hull does kill penalties, usually by the most obvious method of simply grabbing the puck and bulling his way up the ice with it.
Richards said, "Why should I back check. The other fellow is usually having a heck of a time just keeping me from scoring, so I really don't have to worry too much about him getting one."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad