Who is the greatest devil ever?

Jim Dowds Love Child

Jan 21, 2013
Many variables..."best"? "most talented"? "most important"?

Overall...Stevens...ask Kozlov, Lindros, Kariya, Francis...still not over the 78 point snub...

Most talented...hard to judge between Neidermayer, Mogilny, and peak Elias (Neids was my favorite player as a kid, but I have to w/ Almo here)

Most important...Marty...face of the franchise for the last decade...backbone of the team and a living legend. When the Scotts left, and Mr. Devil moved on, when Zach bailed, and commiechuk defected, Marty was still there, reminding us all of how a true great carries the torch.

I'm purposefully keeping this to players only...none of this happens without Lou.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
It's Brodeur, to me. When we're talking a subject as broad as "greatest Devil ever," I'm taking EVERYTHING I can think of into account. Stevens was awarded by an arbitrator and didn't even want to play here. Marty went to UFA last to make sure he could stay here even longer. I could go on and on for either player, but Marty is simply the quintessential Devil to me. Stevens is probably the greatest hockey player this team has ever seen, but Marty is far and away the greatest Devil ever.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Does Trent Hunter even count as a Devil?

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...llo_trade_of_rolston_was_a_business_decision/

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...is_healthy_now_and_looking_forward_to_change/

Kinda funny reading these articles now after what transpired a week later. Lou's comments and Trent's comments. Funny how TG speculated and asked Lou if there was a possibility that Hunter would be bought out. Lou said he wasn't getting into anything other than the transaction, but thought Hunter would bring size and strength to the Devils. :laugh:

Hunter went out the door a week later, and didn't he even end up with the Kings to start out the 11-12 season? That's gotta suck being signed by both teams earlier in the season, that would wind up playing in the SCF that same year.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
I love Stevens as much as anybody...

But those who claim he was a greater Devil or a greater player are viewing his nostalgia with rose-tinted glasses.

Yes, he was the captain for us when we won three cups. His 12 years here were great.

But Marty's been here 20 years and is the greatest goalie of all-time. Every game he's played (other than for Canada and all-star games obviously) has been in red/white/black (or green). His kids were born here. He'll probably die here. Marty is the Devils. The Devils are Marty. He hates the Rangers even more than we do, albeit not as much as Lou does.

Not only is Marty the best Devil ever (arguably the best New York area player ever), but he's the best player to ever wear our uniform. Without him in net, I don't know if we make it to any SCF's, let alone five.

I echo the sentiments expressed by others above. After Marty (who is the best period), Patty is the second-best home-grown player and Stevens is the second-best overall.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If I could choose between Elias, Stevens, Neidermeyer or Kovalchuk in their primes, Kovalchuk would be immediately eliminated

this is how these get out of control. he's saying talent-wise, kovy is the best who has ever played here. now you can argue that, but dont start talking about who in their primes you'd want on your team. thats different, as it includes personalities, leadership, etc.

i think if kovalchuk wasnt the MOST talented devil ever, he's top-3.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
this is how these get out of control. he's saying talent-wise, kovy is the best who has ever played here. now you can argue that, but dont start talking about who in their primes you'd want on your team. thats different, as it includes personalities, leadership, etc.

i think if kovalchuk wasnt the MOST talented devil ever, he's top-3.

Top-3 most talented players ever to play for NJ: Fetisov, Jagr (pending) Niedermayer.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Top-3 most talented players ever to play for NJ: Fetisov, Jagr (pending) Niedermayer.

I'm assuming you mean Fetisov overall, and not Devils Fetisov? I never cared for Fetisov with the Devils. Not because of the Matteau goal either. I was very happy when we traded him to Detroit.

I absolutely loved Slava the coach though. Come back and run our PP please!:cry:

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'm assuming you mean Fetisov overall, and not Devils Fetisov? I never cared for Fetisov with the Devils. Not because of the Matteau goal either. I was very happy when we traded him to Detroit.

I absolutely loved Slava the coach though. Come back and run our PP please!:cry:
Fetisov was just as talented as he'd always been, he was just old. I mean in terms of pure, unadulterated talent. Kovalchuk is probably #4.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
If I could choose between Elias, Stevens, Neidermeyer or Kovalchuk in their primes, Kovalchuk would be immediately eliminated

really? Kovalchuk in his prime won the Richard trophy, he was inarguably a top 5 player for a long time, i'm having trouble ranking Patty that high amongst his peers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad