Speculation: WHO is the greatest defensive defenseman in Carolina Hurricanes history?

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Surprised no one has mentioned the mysterious top-4 shut down defenseman who was just waiting in europe for the Canes to sign him, Josef Melichar.

bluedevil58*

So in all seriousness.

Aside from Glen Wes why has nobody mentioned Malik? Career plus/minus of +133 is impressive. Yes, he frustrated all of us but he was good and the reason we were good in the late 90's early 2000's. Canes fans hated him though because he was a positional D man and not a physical one.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
So in all seriousness.

Aside from Glen Wes why has nobody mentioned Malik? Career plus/minus of +133 is impressive. Yes, he frustrated all of us but he was good and the reason we were good in the late 90's early 2000's. Canes fans hated him though because he was a positional D man and not a physical one.
because 1) plus-minus is a horrible stat
2) malik gained most of that +/- on other teams and this is a discussion of best defensive defenseman in hurricanes history, not what players who were once hurricanes did elsewhere. this also explains why nobody is mentioning pronger or coffey (lol), because their hurricane/whaler careers aren't really notable.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I swear I was so high on that kid I couldn't stand it. I really thought he was going to be another Sean Hill kind of player. Mean kid with some offensive potential that never really figured it all out. Tough bounce.

Wasn't just you. I remember seeing Forslund, who came to speak at the Wade Edwards Learning Lab on St. Mary's near Broughton in 2003 or so. He glowed about the guy, saying something like that Malec was the future of the blueline. Fortunately, we flipped him for a nice asset.

And the answer is Allan Rourke.

I'm disappointed Bruno St. Jacques was already taken. I used to sit in 338 and a diehard fan would yell "St. Jacques" in an elegant French accent whenever he made a good pass, and yell "BRUUUUNO!" whenever he gave up the puck. I miss that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00