Erwin, TN
Blues Prospects by Forum Ranking
1) Dalibor Dvorsky - 82%
2) Jimmy Snuggerud - 93%
3) Joel Hofer - 39%
4) Zachary Bolduc - 59%
5) Otto Stenberg - 42%
6) Jake Neighbors - 45.5%

There is probably not a lot of suspense for the next winner, but we'll see. Its nice to have a prospect pool that is deep again. Lots of promising guys to monitor when the Blues are mediocre for a while.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Now that Jake is finally off the board, I'll go with Dean. Excited to see how he plays in the AHL this year.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Voted for Dean. Last poll was the first I strongly disagreed with so far. Neighbours isn't a top 8 prospect in our pool, much less 6th. But oh well, on to the next.

Dean is the choice, for all the reasons I mentioned before. C with good defensive instincts already, decent point production in juniors but with the ability to raise his game when it matters.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Voted Lindstein again, and I'll copy-paste why until he's voted:

Easily Lindstein. Neighbours and Dean could top out as middle-six forwards who can anchor lines. Buchinger has offensive potential in spades. Alexandrov and Robertsson could continue to increase our stable of solid middle six/bottom-six forwards. However, Lindstein is my choice because he is, in my opinion, is our number one defense prospect, and - also my opinion - has the potential to be the top two left-handed shutdown defenseman we've all been looking for, since Bouwmeester was forced to retire.

He was regarded as the best defenseman in the 2023 Draft before Reinbacher, Simishev, Willander, and Sandin-Pellikka emerged. Hell, he was partially the reason why Willander and ASP emerged; he did the dirty work while they did the offense. He's as smooth a skater as you'll see from a defenseman, has a great stick, and his hockey IQ is brilliant. The only issue is his offense, but he has potential there. He's smart offensively, and he's actually got a hell of a shot.

He'll need to bulk up for the rigors of the NHL, but honestly, I'm almost more excited about Lindstein than I am about Stenberg. I'm thinking smaller Bouw as a comparison, if he hits his full potential. That's worth a late first any day, and that's a much better prospect than two middle-six forwards.

After Lindstein, Dean (I had Neighbours between them, and I'll be honest and say that Dean is probably going to win this poll.), and Buchinger (the other elite young defenseman in our system; yes, I have him as a potential #3), it gets a lot trickier. Next six (I say six because goalies, lawl.) are Alexandrov (A middle-six forward, in my opinion; he could step onto the third line without missing a beat, although Dean has him beat on sheer talent alone), Robertsson (I think people are sleeping on him; he could be a solid middle-six scoring forward. He just has to put it together), Pekarcik (Normally, Pekarcik would be much higher, but he's just so damn young; he doesn't even turn eighteen until mid-September. His projection could go anywhere at this point.), Loof (He'll take a little time in the AHL, but I feel like he's ready to step in and be a major part of our defensive core.), Koromyslov (If he ever comes over, I think he could be a fantastic #4 defenseman. He's kicking ass in the KHL right now, is the kind of big, mobile defenseman you dream about, and you just wish he'd come show what he can do.), and Zherenko (Normally, I would've put Hofer after Pekarcik, and Zherenko is probably just as talented, but he's a goalie, and hasn't proven as much as Hofer.) are probably up next after them.

Then you have intriguing players like (in order): Tucker (very much ready, will he have a spot?), Gaudet (will he put up similar stats in the AHL?), Dickinson (will he recover from his broken leg fully?), Kaskimaki (will he come over here and do as well as he's doing in Liiga?) Burns (still too far away to say, but he looks like he has potential), Fischer (same as Burns), Vorobyov (bottom six offensive sparkplug?), Kessel (potential bottom pairing RHD?), Stancl (needs to improve his skating, but could be a solid bottom-sixer if he does), Peterson (same as Stancl), Beck (same as Kessel), Susuyev (offensive dynamo, but huge questions about defense and when he'll come over...if ever), and...really not much else, in my opinion.

I don't have that much faith in Laferriere (tweener; not talented enough for the top six, not physical enough for the bottom six, probably an AHL lifer, but to be fair, he has improved visibly.), Washkurak (bottom sixer, but doesn't have a good enough trait for the NHL; he does everything decent, but not well enough that would make things pop like Peterson's and Stancl's size and defense, Dickinson's amazing skating ability, Vorobyov's and Susuyev's offensive IQ, or Kaskimaki's skating and offensive potential. I like the kid, but I don't think he has a shot with our team.), Malmstrom (only because we signed him to an ELC), Biakabutuka (same as Malmstrom, only right-handed), or Sim (still young, still could improve, but I doubt we give him an ELC). I have even less still in Mayich (the one pick this draft I hated because I feel all he'll be is a glorified enforcer. I wish we would've taken one of Celebrini or Roobroeck, just to say we took the older brother of a top prospect in a future draft who has intriguing features of their own (Roobroeck is a 6'7' forward; Celebrini is a solid right handed defenseman, which we lack in the system). Wish we could've dealt for an extra fifth and taken them both, but I digress.), Abramov (Honestly a throw-in by Toronto; the picks are the real prize. AHL lifer, to me, but could get a cup of coffee, like McGing.), Skinner (may get a cup of coffee, like McGing, but he's an AHL lifer to me), Ellis (he's in the ECHL. Yes, he could end up like Binnington, but I doubt it. And he's a goalie.), and Cranley. (Goalie, and I honestly was not impressed, even in juniors, like Ellis was.)

Sorry for the gigantic wall of text. I just figured I'd get my thoughts out now after saying I'm voting for Lindstein.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Lindsten is next for me after Dean.

Lindsten needs to show more offense before he moves up the rankings for me. If he can do that he may leapfrog Dean and Neighbours as early as mid next year.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Since Dean is going to win in a landslide, let’s hear your Dean comps. His attributes from what I’ve seen are: 2- way center, gritty, high motor, high compete level

Honestly what a turnaround for our prospect pool. It's exciting to think that we added Dvorsky, Stenberg, Lindstein and Dean all at the TDL.

I don’t think we’ll get the recognition for it yet.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Since Dean is going to win in a landslide, let’s hear your Dean comps. His attributes from what I’ve seen are: 2- way center, gritty, high motor, high compete level

Last word which is pretty good for scouting, lists Barzal as his comparable. They always say it's a style comparison not an impact one though. Still a nice hope.

If you want a good comparable for both style and impact... Anthony Cirelli on Tampa Bay? I'm not great at comparable as I don't find them too useful. But that is my quick pick.

Both are average size but go to the dirty areas and play with some physicality Both are good skaters and use that defensively. Both have good stick handling and vision. Cireli's 40-45ish point pace last few seasons with strong defense is a good benchmark if Dean hits his high end but not peak potential.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I voted for Dean but I’m also very very high on Lindstein and think he’ll be a top-4 d-man in time. If he does hit that potential, that’ll likely make him more valuable than either Dean or Neighbours.

The Blues have 8 really solid prospects IMO. And that’s not even counting another grouping of about 8-10 that also have a chance to be solid NHLers - Buchinger, Tucker, Alexandrov, Zherenko, Pekarcik, Loof, Kessel, Dickinson, Gaudet, Burns etc.

Reactions: Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Dean was an easy vote for me. He and Neighbours were in a very close competition to be my personal #3 ranked skater in the pool. I picked Neighbours, but I'm excited to see Dean in camp and wouldn't be at all surprised if he changes my mind by the end of September. I'm more interested in his 2023/24 season than any of our other prospects.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Last word which is pretty good for scouting, lists Barzal as his comparable. They always say it's a style comparison not an impact one though. Still a nice hope.

If you want a good comparable for both style and impact... Anthony Cirelli on Tampa Bay? I'm not great at comparable as I don't find them too useful. But that is my quick pick.

Both are average size but go to the dirty areas and play with some physicality Both are good skaters and use that defensively. Both have good stick handling and vision. Cireli's 40-45ish point pace last few seasons with strong defense is a good benchmark if Dean hits his high end but not peak potential.
I've seen far more of Cirelli than Dean, but I see the bolded as well and hope Dean can play to that level. I see Cirelli as more of a 2C/3C than a guy with a 3C ceiling, and I sure hope that the same holds true for Dean. Having 4 guys (including Thomas, Dvorsky and Schenn) that aren't out of place as a Top 6 C is a great luxury. Tempering expectations, I think the jury is still out as to whether or not Dean will top out higher than Barbashev is today, and I wouldn't really be comfortable with the idea of Barbashev getting consistent Top 6 minutes at C if my team had Cup aspirations.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I've seen far more of Cirelli than Dean, but I see the bolded as well and hope Dean can play to that level. I see Cirelli as more of a 2C/3C than a guy with a 3C ceiling, and I sure hope that the same holds true for Dean. Having 4 guys (including Thomas, Dvorsky and Schenn) that aren't out of place as a Top 6 C is a great luxury. Tempering expectations, I think the jury is still out as to whether or not Dean will top out higher than Barbashev is today, and I wouldn't really be comfortable with the idea of Barbashev getting consistent Top 6 minutes at C if my team had Cup aspirations.
Barbie has shown that he can be good top 6 player but he isn’t really a center. Hopefully dean can stick at c.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Last year, Alexandrov went #7 in the polls and two prospects ahead of him graduated. He's going to be dropping multiple spots despite doubling his AHL production from the previous year, and looking solid in a stint with the main club.
It’s a good sign for the system, especially since Alexandrov looks like an NHLer with a bit more upside.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Last year, Alexandrov went #7 in the polls and two prospects ahead of him graduated. He's going to be dropping multiple spots despite doubling his AHL production from the previous year, and looking solid in a stint with the main club.
We should add four 1st round picks/prospects every year!

The additions to the prospect pool really drive home how critical it was to pull the chute and sell once the year got away from us. And how lucky we were that the wheels fell off last year instead of this year.

Imagine where we would be as an organization if we had looked like the 2021/22 team (but with worse goaltending) through the first 60 games of 2022/23 and had banked enough points to take one more kick at the can with ROR, Tarasenko, and Barbie before an offseason retool. Instead of Dvorsky, maybe we're picking in the 14-22 range. No Dean. No Stenberg. No Lindstein. We wouldn't hold Toronto's 2024 2nd rounder. Maybe we get Blais and maybe not. We probably don't/can't take fliers on Vrana or Kap. At most, we are able to try one of them. Maybe we sign one of those 3 guys we traded to a contract that ages lee-than-well.

The prospect pool we are looking at today is the result of some good timing on the wheels coming off and then a well executed fire sale by Army. We didn't win the lottery or suck enough to sneak into the top 4, but the 20223 draft class was the year to stockpile assets and I think Dvorsky would have gone earlier than 10 in just about every draft of the last few years. Probably top 5 in a couple.

The team still has a lot of work to do, but so far the 2023 calendar year has been enormously successful.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I went with Dean. This gets into a tier system for me. Nieghbors, Dean, and Lindstein are all on tier for me and Dean is closer to the NHL then Lindstein.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad