Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nikita Susuyev

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We are through my first 2 tiers of prospects. Aside from swapping Hofer and Bolduc, I agreed with the voting. That leaves my 3rd tier and they are all fairly close but the top one stands out a bit from the rest. The next batch includes the remaining first round picks not named Neigbours, with Stenberg, Dean and Lindstein, as well as Zherenko. Zherenko's combination of decent size (1 inch short but bulkier than Hofer) and high, high-end athleticism give him a lot of potential upside.

I vote Stenberg here and he is comfortably ahead of the rest.. He has every tool you would want, except for his size. But he plays bigger than he is and does it successfully. He is a good skater in both speed and agility. He has a really good hockey sense/IQ on both ends of the ice. He has a good compete level. His wrister is hard, quick and deceptive. His playmaking is good, although he can struggle in that area under pressure.

The thing keeping him from being in the higher tier is that he has yet to put it all together to put up the stats you'd hope for. But he is young and playing a lot against men, so he still has time. His tools put him easily at #5 for me.

Reactions: Brian39

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Dean has some upside. I think he will likely be the biggest play driver outside of our top 2 prospects with his ability to generate clean entries, passing skill, and puck possession game. I could see him playing on any line.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Neighbours for me, but almost exclusively because I haven't watched enough of the new guys. The remainder is that I value NHL readiness and he looked ready in his last stint in the show last season. He might not have the same ceiling, but I have almost no doubt that he will contribute as an NHLer.

Reactions: Blueston

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
I think I may be the odd one out, but while I chose Stenberg as the better prospect, I could see Tyler Tucker having an "Ian Cole" type of career and play more games than some on here with a much higher ceiling

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Dean has some upside. I think he will likely be the biggest play driver outside of our top 2 prospects with his ability to generate clean entries, passing skill, and puck possession game. I could see him playing on any line.

I really like Dean from

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If the Blues had drafted Dean and traded for Neighbors, I don't think many would be ranking Neighbors above him.
Jake was more productive in a tougher league and is closer to NHL ready. Dean plays the more important position(if he does stick at center) but his ceiling isn’t much if any higher and he’s smaller and further away. I personally don’t see the argument for Dean at all.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Went with Stenberg because he has legitimate top line upside with a good chance to be a 2nd liner, and at worst a checking 3rd liner. I think Neighbours has the potential to be a 2nd liner, but his likely outcome is 3rd liner and the floor is good 4th liner. Dean has a chance to be a 2nd liner, but at worst I think he'll be a 3rd liner. Of the players with the highest talent and tools, I think Stenberg is tops of the list of forwards, but then I'd put Dean after. I like Neighbours, but I need to see him have consistency at the NHL level to be confident in him moving forward. Towards the tail-end of the season this year he looked pretty good, so the more I see of that, the higher I'll rate him (which may not be necessary because he may play out of prospect status).

If the Blues had drafted Dean and traded for Neighbors, I don't think many would be ranking Neighbors above him.
I think it's fair for Blues forum posters to value their guys higher, but I also think that the fact that Neighbours has played in the NHL and AHL might give him a slight edge in evaluation, whether positively or negatively. In terms of overall talent, I think Dean has the edge as well as playing a tougher position, but I can see why people would choose Neighbours skills over Dean. HOWEVER, Dean's recent playoffs were great and could give an idea of the type of player he can be. I'll be interested to see how Dean is this training camp and in the AHL.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Jake was more productive in a tougher league and is closer to NHL ready. Dean plays the more important position(if he does stick at center) but his ceiling isn’t much if any higher and he’s smaller and further away. I personally don’t see the argument for Dean at all.

Not when you include the playoffs. In their D+2 seasons Dean was 1.4 ppg in the regular season and 2 ppg in the playoffs for a total of 1.52 ppg. Neigbours in his D+2 was 1.5 ppg in the regular season but less than 1 in the playoffs for 1.26 ppg overall.

Neigbours also played with a #9OA pick which helped his stats as he played with him on the PP, and could be seperated from him to get easier matchups.. Although Dean played with a stacked team, there was no star. Dean led his team in the playoffs, something Neighbours never did in any significant stretch. He led the entire QMJHL playoffs in ppg. The league difference isn't enough enough to jusify the difference when you take playoffs into account.

That's just points. Position and defense go to Dean as well. There is no argument that Neighbours is better except he is older and so closer to NHL ready.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
It’s between Stenberg and Dean for me. Will probably go Dean as he’s more established and his Q playoffs were simply top notch. He scored 26 pts in 13 playoff games and was injured for the last 3-4. He had something like 24 pts after 10 games but then slowed down as he was basically playing with 1 arm in the series against Quebec. Bolduc scored 19 in 18 in comparison. I see Dean as a future excellent 3C that has a chance to be a 2C.

But Stenberg has consistently been Sweden’s best ‘05 forward and captain, outscored Dvorsky at the U18s and is a very smart player that plays a heavy game with a heavy shot. I see him as a future top-6 LW, 3LW at worst.

I see Stenberg’s floor about where I see Neighbours’ ceiling. Neighbours is easier to project as he’s 2 years older and pretty much already an NHLer but I value the other two more.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Stenberg. I think he has the highest ceiling. I don't see anything more than above average 3rd liners in Dean or Neighbours.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Stenberg. Saw enough to wonder why and how fortunate we are he fell to us. Higher upside than Neighbors, but I see neighbors as a middle six. Stenberg could be a top six with one of three letters on his jersey. Need to watch many games to appreciate how smart and how detailed his game is.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I went with Neighbors. I agree that Stenberg has a higher ceiling, but I think Neighbors is further along in his development annd is safer to reach his ceiling. He is physical and and can play a solid middle six role.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad