5) Otto Stenberg - 42%
6) Jake Neighbors - 45.5%
7) Zach Dean - 64%
8) Theo Lindstein - 82%
9) Nikita Alexandrov - 39%
10) Michael Buchinger - 60%
11) Juraj Pekarcik - 37%
12) Tyler Tucker - 30%

I'm pretty sure I'll run these polls beyond the point where most people have good reads on the players. Last year I wanted to vote for a prospect, and did vote for him several times, but the poll ended before he was ranked. That player made his NHL debut later during the season. I'd like for us to have a poll that highlights each player who has a likelihood to actually wear a Bluenote in the coming year. I don't think those guys are all destined to be stars, but its nice to give the lesser discussed prospects who are still making progress in their careers at least a moment of thought as we wait for training camp.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
This guy.

3937DE58-22FB-4CE9-BC56-C699981F7BFD.jpeg

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Reactions: Blueston

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
We are on #13 and there are still several really good ones to choose from. I don’t remember this ever happening. This is our best pool we’ve ever had.

Reactions: Reality Czech

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Been in the market for a new blocker for a while and came across this set of beauties:

And

Well, there you go. Some random beer league goalie needs to rock those.

I wonder what his pads will look like this year.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
We are on #13 and there are still several really good ones to choose from. I don’t remember this ever happening. This is our best pool we’ve ever had.
Yeah, we do. I count at least 8 guys still on the board I see as having legit NHL potential.

I’m going to vote for Burns next. I see him as a future #4-6 d-man. Has average size but a solid all-around game and he’s mean. I think he’ll take a big step in the OHL this season.

Koromyslov is a personal favorite. He’s also very mean but a little taller than Burns. I think he’d get more buzz if his games were more visible. I see the same level of potential for him as Burns.

And then Loof is also in that same mold. 6’1” like Burns and also has a mean side. I think he’ll be a good addition for the T-Birds.

Kessel is more of a solid all-around guy. His main traits are his size and that he’s a righty, but a lot of times, the all-around solid types will stall while a player with 1-2 stronger attributes will pass them up as a coach can have that player specialize in the thing they’re good at.

ToastedRavioli

Jun 29, 2023
Something interesting about this whole poll is Simon Robertsson. In January of this year, Scott Wheeler had him ranked as our 4th best prospect. In this pool he's going to be ranked 14th or worse.

I think there are a couple reasons for this disparity. The interesting part is that none of the reasons have to do with Robertsson's play since January. One reason is Wheeler is higher on Robertsson than most. Ranking him ahead of Hofer was pretty egregious. I think him being in front of Alexandrov and Buchinger was also odd. I can however, see him being reasonably ranked ahead of Tucker and Zherenko, even if I disagree. With all of those players mentioned in front of Robertsson, that would still put him at 9th, still a big disparity. This is why the depth of this pool is exciting. Since January we added Dvorsky, Dean, Stenberg, Lindstein, Pekarcik, and Burns. This has pushed Robertsson to 14+, at no fault of his own.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Something interesting about this whole poll is Simon Robertsson. In January of this year, Scott Wheeler had him ranked as our 4th best prospect. In this pool he's going to be ranked 14th or worse.

I think there are a couple reasons for this disparity. The interesting part is that none of the reasons have to do with Robertsson's play since January. One reason is Wheeler is higher on Robertsson than most. Ranking him ahead of Hofer was pretty egregious. I think him being in front of Alexandrov and Buchinger was also odd. I can however, see him being reasonably ranked ahead of Tucker and Zherenko, even if I disagree. With all of those players mentioned in front of Robertsson, that would still put him at 9th, still a big disparity. This is why the depth of this pool is exciting. Since January we added Dvorsky, Dean, Stenberg, Lindstein, Pekarcik, and Burns. This has pushed Robertsson to 14+, at no fault of his own.

Robertsson is one I struggle with. It's a skills vs results thing. He has good skills. On paper he should be getting better results than he is. But he gets no TOI and doesn't produce much with what he does. Now its hard to produce in limited minutes, hard to get going. Probably not playing with the best linemates either. But why isn't he earning better time and better minutes? I don't know, and that worries me. It also worries me that his numbers in U18, U20 aren't that trememndous either. As it has continued year after year, he has slid down my ranks.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Robertsson is one I struggle with. It's a skills vs results thing. He has good skills. On paper he should be getting better results than he is. But he gets no TOI and doesn't produce much with what he does. Now its hard to produce in limit minutes, hard to get going. Probably not playing with the best linemate either. But why isn't he earning better time and better minutes. I don't know, and that worries me. It also worries me that his numbers in U18, U20 aren't that trememndous either. As it has continued year after year, he has slid down my ranks.
Same here.

The read I get on him is that he’s skilled but doesn’t really excel at anything. My view is if he really hits the top of his potential, he’s an Alexandrov type. But if I’m being honest, I expect him to have a European pro career.

He has the ability to make it but I think other guys have better odds so I’m not overly high on Robertsson.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Same here.

The read I get on him is that he’s skilled but doesn’t really excel at anything. My view is if he really hits the top of his potential, he’s an Alexandrov type. But if I’m being honest, I expect him to have a European pro career.

He has the ability to make it but I think other guys have better odds so I’m not overly high on Robertsson.
I don’t see much of a future for robertsson here. He could potentially make it as bottom 6 winger, but smaller, lesser toropchenko feels like his ceiling.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Same here.

He excels as a shooter. His wrist shot is hard, accurate and he can get it off quickly. It is an elite level shot, from the highlights I have seen. I am not sure why he doesn't score with it more consistently. I'd need to watch multiple full games of him in SHL due to his limited ice time

I don’t see much of a future for robertsson here. He could potentially make it as bottom 6 winger, but smaller, lesser toropchenko feels like his ceiling.

He has a lot more skill but a lot less size and physicality than Toropchcnko. I don't envision Robertsson succeeding at all in Toropchenko, big dummy, go fast, hit things role. He would be better served on a more skilled 4th line or better yet as a 3rd line wing who can use his shot to get 15ish goals in limited minutes while playing a less physical PK, defensive role with some offensive pop.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He excels as a shooter. His wrist shot is hard, accurate and he can get it off quickly. It is an elite level shot, from the highlights I have seen. I am not sure why he doesn't score with it more consistently. I'd need to watch multiple full games of him in SHL due to his limited ice time

He has a lot more skill but a lot less size and physicality than Toropchcnko. I don't envision Robertsson succeeding at all in Toropchenko, big dummy, go fast, hit things role. He would be better served on a more skilled 4th line or better yet as a 3rd line wing who can use his shot to get 15ish goals in limited minutes while playing a less physical PK, defensive role with some offensive pop.
Having a nice shot that you can’t consistently get off doesn’t seem all that useful. Robertsson seems like guy who has tools but no box. I expect Torpo ends his career with more nhl goals than robertsson.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I went with Kessel again. I think a lot of fans are writing him off because he didn't put up huge numbers in his first year in the NHL, but I think he will be a solid bottom pairing guy. I think he will get his cup of tea this year, because he is RHD and we will have injuries at some point. But I get why others are taking Zherenko. He had a respectable season last year.

I have Kessel as my number 2 dman in our system.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Went with Kaskimaki. Personally feel like he has as much if not more upside than anyone that's been ranked after Dean. Needs to develop a commitment to defense and get stronger, but the skating and playmaking potential is there.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

You’re right in that I should’ve mentioned his shot. From a technical standpoint, it’s a thing of beauty. But I don’t agree he gets it off quickly. From what I’ve seen, he needs quite a bit of time and/or space to utilize his shot, which greatly lowers its impact. He has a very nice shot that looks fantastic in drills but he’s so far not overly able to utilize it much in game situations.

Agree I don’t see him as much at all comparable to Toropchenko either other than they may be vying for the same spot someday - just in way different roles. Would depend on what type of attributes Chief would think the team needed more at the time.

I also don’t really question Robertsson’s hockey sense. I see it as basically average. I just don’t see him having a skill or area of the game where he stands out to where he could really help a team with that attribute, so that’s mostly why I think he’ll just fade into the background and end up with a European career eventually.

It seems like he’s been around for quite a while the Blues still have almost 2 more full years to decide if they want to offer him a contract or not. I bet they eventually do but he just seems like a Simon Hjalmarsson type to me. Not the exact same strengths/weaknesses as SH, but about that level of player IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad