NCAA: Who is the Best Team in the Last 10 Years?

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
2008 Oklahoma (12-2)
Results vs. AP top 25: No. 1 Florida (L, 14-24), No. 2 Texas Tech (W, 65-21), No. 5 Texas (L, 35-45), No. 11 Oklahoma State (W, 61-41), No. 16 Kansas (W, 45-31), No. 19 Missouri (W, 62-21), No. 24 TCU (W, 35-10).

All-Americans: QB Sam Bradford, TE Jermaine Gresham, OT Phil Loadholt, OG Duke Robinson, DT Gerald McCoy
I'll take the 2008 Sooners.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Good thread. I think this season's Alabama team might belong in this discussion in a month's time.

I'll take a team I don't think any others would think of and that's the 2010 Stanford team.

They were 12-1 and finished the season with an emphatic 40-12 win in the Orange Bowl over Virginia Tech. Had their been a college football playoff that season I think they would've won it.

There only loss was @ #3 Oregon

Some of the notable players on that team that are in the NFL:

QB Andrew Luck
WR Doug Baldwin
WR Griff Whalen
TE Coby Fleener
TE Zach Ertz
TE Levine Toilolo
LT Jonathan Martin
LG David Decastro
DT Sione Fua
DT David Parry
DE Trent Murphy
MLB Shane Skov
OLB Chase Thomas
CB Richard Sherman
CB Devon Carrington
S Ed Reynolds
S Johnson Bademosi

First Team All Americans
QB Andrew Luck
LT Jonathan Martin
C Chase Beeler
All-Purpose Owen Marecic

Last edited:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Florida State 2013, and I dont think there is any other team comparable. Maybe USC in 2008

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Alabama's defense this year might be the single best UNIT.....but I don't think their offense is good enough to say they are #1 in that time.

That Seminole team was really good. Funny thing is that last years Buckeye team might be the best and they never ever got to the playoffs.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Florida State 2013, and I dont think there is any other team comparable. Maybe USC in 2008

2013 FSU is a good pick.

I agree on 2008 USC though. 2010 Stanford is a slight homer pick, so other than them I'd take 08 USC. I always though they should've gotten into the National Title game over Oklahoma. Think they would've whacked that Florida team. Their defense was loaded with NFL talent that wouldnt' have been fooled by Tebow. Some of the notable defensive players on that team:

DE Everson Griffen
DE Malik Jackson
DE Nick Perry
DT Jurrell Casey
LB Clay Mathews
LB Brian Cushing
LB Rey Mauluga
S Taylor Mays
CB Shareece Wright

Think that unit could've stopped Florida.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Alabama's defense this year might be the single best UNIT.....but I don't think their offense is good enough to say they are #1 in that time.

That Seminole team was really good. Funny thing is that last years Buckeye team might be the best and they never ever got to the playoffs.

All because Urban Meyer wouldn't hand the ball off to Zeke in that one loss. Last season's tOSU team does have a case as well. Tons of NFL players.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
FSU 2013.

Jameis Winston
Davonte Freeman
Dalvin Cook
Karlos Williams
Kelvin Benjamin
Rashad Greene
Nick O'Leary
Tre Jackson
Cam Irving
Bryan Stork

Defense
Mario Edwards Jr.
Eddie Goldman
Tim Jernigan
Telvin Smith
LaMarcus Joyner
Jalen Ramsey
Ronald Darby
P.J. Williams

Roberto Aguayo

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

Yea they blew out everyone that year until the title game and then had a huge comeback in the 2nd half to win it.

Players from that team currently on a NFL roster:

Offense:
QB Jameis Winston
RB Devonta Freeman
RB Karlos Williams
WR Kelvin Benjamin
WR Rashad Greene
TE Nick O'Leary
OL Cameron Erving
OL Bryan Stork
OL Tre Jackson
OL Bobby Hart
OL Josue Matias

Defense:
DT Timmy Jernigan
DT Eddie Goldman
DT Nile Lawrence-Stample
DE Mario Edwards
LB Telvin Smith
LB Christian Jones
LB Terrance Smith
CB Lamarcus Joyner
CB Ronald Darby
CB Terrance Brooks
CB PJ Williams
S Jalen Ramsey

K Roberto Aguayo

DE Demarcus Walker definitely will be another.
And maybe a few other guys who were freshman then like Marquez White, Freddie Stevenson or Nate Andrews are late rounders or make a team in camp.

24 players from that team currently on an NFL roster. 20 of whom were drafted. Walker will make it 25(21) at least.

Insane.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
24 players from that team currently on an NFL roster. 20 of whom were drafted. Walker will make it 25(21) at least.

Insane.

Last years Buckeyes currently have 13 rookies on NFL rosters, 12 were drafted. I honestly think they will have 30 NFL'ers from that team.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yea they blew out everyone that year until the title game and then had a huge comeback in the 2nd half to win it.

Players from that team currently on a NFL roster:

Offense:
QB Jameis Winston
RB Devonta Freeman
RB Karlos Williams
WR Kelvin Benjamin
WR Rashad Greene
TE Nick O'Leary
OL Cameron Erving
OL Bryan Stork
OL Tre Jackson
OL Bobby Hart
OL Josue Matias

Defense:
DT Timmy Jernigan
DT Eddie Goldman
DT Nile Lawrence-Stample
DE Mario Edwards
LB Telvin Smith
LB Christian Jones
LB Terrance Smith
CB Lamarcus Joyner
CB Ronald Darby
CB Terrance Brooks
CB PJ Williams
S Jalen Ramsey

K Roberto Aguayo

DE Demarcus Walker definitely will be another.
And maybe a few other guys who were freshman then like Marquez White, Freddie Stevenson or Nate Andrews are late rounders or make a team in camp.

Insane.

Dalvin Cook.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
that FSU season was epic in every way.

How did I never see this?

BmgCsKbCYAAnUC9.jpg

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
2013 FSU is a good pick.

I agree on 2008 USC though. 2010 Stanford is a slight homer pick, so other than them I'd take 08 USC. I always though they should've gotten into the National Title game over Oklahoma. Think they would've whacked that Florida team. Their defense was loaded with NFL talent that wouldnt' have been fooled by Tebow. Some of the notable defensive players on that team:

DE Everson Griffen
DE Malik Jackson
DE Nick Perry
DT Jurrell Casey
LB Clay Mathews
LB Brian Cushing
LB Rey Mauluga
S Taylor Mays
CB Shareece Wright

Think that unit could've stopped Florida.

That was probably the best defense I have seen in college football. The loss to Oregon St was a weird game...couldn't handle a smurf as an RB in Quizz Rodgers. But yeah, I think we would've been able to stop Tebow

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No love for a 14-0 Alabama in 2009? Florida State is a fine pick though.

Hard for me to put any team with one loss as the best, though a couple of great one loss teams came earlier in the 2000's - the Miami team that lost to Ohio State with like 25 pros and the USC team that lost the threepeat game to Texas.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
2004 Trojans, sanctions be damned.

Or are we talking about a team that not only won but also sent a boatload or players to the NFL?

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
That was probably the best defense I have seen in college football. The loss to Oregon St was a weird game...couldn't handle a smurf as an RB in Quizz Rodgers. But yeah, I think we would've been able to stop Tebow

I remember watching that game in shock. It was literally as if Oregon State's gameplan was to hide Jacquizz behind their O-line until the last second and have him pop out of a cannon through a tiny crevice. It worked to perfection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad