Who is our biggest rival?

BigBush*

Toronto, always will be. Right now though Montreal is the team I hate the most

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
ok so i voted Montreal and there are 2 reasons for that.
1. i think our rivalry with Toronto is dead
2. i think our Rivalry with Montreal is at an all time high.

now before i go any further i will say i started watching hockey after the 05 Lockout. i also did not start paying attention to our(or anyone's) drafting till the 2011 draft. joined this forum(first i have joined/looked at apart from nhl.com comment section[started that in 2013 season]) a little over a year ago. i say all this to make it clear i was not watching hockey when we where playing Toronto in the playoffs regularly nor was i involved in the fans vs fans "hating" while Toronto was relivant

now the reason why i think the Toronto Rivalry is dead is because i personally(and i am sure others agree) don't hate/dislike any player on Toronto atm. i don't go into the season hoping a Toronto player has a bad year. i don't go into a game wanted their star to screw up so i can tell their fans about it. if it happens ok good but i am not hoping for it. at this point i don't view Toronto in a negative way.

i fully came to realize this as i was watching the draft lottery and for some odd reason wanted them to win. i think that is because i want them to get good so we can restart the rivalry BUT it also to me made me realize that somehow they have become a team i root for(to get better) rather then a team i hope does "bad".

Montreal on the other hand i hate. their fans are the least likable fans in the league, their players are divers and dirty, Subban is nothing compared to Kalrsson, and price is overrated, etc. most of that is wrong i know that BUT if a Habs fan is in front of me i would tell them it without hesitation and back up my claims with whatever bs i could come up with simply because i dont like them.

when i look at what makes a rivalry i think of 3 things

1. the players dislike each other
2. the fans dislike each other
3. the games are close, hard, dirty sometimes, and most importantly entertaining.

with Montreal i think we have all 3 things. with Toronto we simply don't. the players don't dislike each other, the games are "meaningless", and i don't think many fans really dislike each other all that much(although you may pretend to)

well that is my opinion and my points as to why i think Montreal is our biggest rival. i am interested in see the voting and would love for someone to break down why they think Toronto is our biggest rival

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
cropped_kadri.gif

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Right now it's Montreal, I don't even think anyone can really debate that.

Overall though? Still gotta be Toronto. You'd think once they get good again the hate will come back. The rivalry isn't dead, just on hold.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa

Overall though? Still gotta be Toronto. You'd think once they get good again the hate will come back. The rivalry isn't dead, just on hold.

maybe it will but if they maybe not. if we don't get matched up in the playoffs or have anything happen that causes problems it might not for a long time.

Toronto is not building to be a tough mean team and we are not like that ether so it could end up being peaceful rivalry without any real hatred.

also gotta consider even if Toronto gets good again it will likely be another 5 years and by then we have hated Montreal for almost 10 years which might make the new Toronto rivalry a secondary thing.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

This is how I feel. Right now it's Montreal, I hate their entitled players, their pompus fans, and the games between teams are epic.

But it's still Toronto. When they invade our stadium and have that mob mentality, acting like they are somehow superior, squawking about how they beat us in the playoffs over and over...

I'm stoked that we have a great rivalry with Montreal, it has really grown in the last 3 years. But I hate the Leafs and all they stand for.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Toronto because its so much more than the hockey teams hating each other.

If I can go to a leafs vs sens game without any violent altercation with other fans then I will accept the rivalry is dead.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Montreal is a fun rivalry atm but its nothing compared to the Leafs rivalry.

I hate leaf fans and the team. Im only annoyed by Habs fans and the team.

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
Voted Toronto, I hate Montreal more currently, but I still like some of their players. Toronto I like nothing about, but because there has been a lack of playoff games between them the animosity isn't there yet.

I remember when Pittsburg and Buffalo held the spot due to playoff series close together, hopefully it will happen with Toronto.

Ttracer*

The leafs ainec....They own Ottawa, I think they stole the playbook and focus their practises solely on beating Ottawa

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I thought the question was supposed to be: If you had to choose one team to be in Ottawa's Division, which would it be: Toronto or Montreal?

The question is related to Alignment.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
I thought the question was supposed to be: If you had to choose one team to be in Ottawa's Division, which would it be: Toronto or Montreal?

The question is related to Alignment.

i figure we will go with who we feel is our biggest rival as that is what every team is doing.

if our fans feel Toronto is the bigger rival which they do then we would go with Toronto. the next realignment is likely to last a long while so it would be silly to choose a team based on right now instead of looking long term.

either way it does not really matter as the nhl would never split the 3 of us up.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is how I feel. Right now it's Montreal, I hate their entitled players, their pompus fans, and the games between teams are epic.

But it's still Toronto. When they invade our stadium and have that mob mentality, acting like they are somehow superior, squawking about how they beat us in the playoffs over and over...

I'm stoked that we have a great rivalry with Montreal, it has really grown in the last 3 years. But I hate the Leafs and all they stand for.

I agree.... but as a team. the Sens rival is Montreal.. now. I fn Hate the leafs and I really can't stand their BS fans but as a team the rival right now is Montreal... I do not have as much hate for Montreal as I do for the Leafs and their obnoxious fans. In fact beside Obnoxiois in the dictionary is some A_ole with a leafs jersey;. I do hope that Shanahan, Hunter, Babcock, Lou et al fail big time.

I remember telling a couple of leafs fans at Sens game that they were guests and not to forget it.... They loved me... :)
:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad