Who is our biggest competition of all of the wildcard contenders in the East?

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
I think we're the front runners right now I really do, but I'm most afraid of the Islanders.

Might come as surprise, just think their goaltending is tops and I'm expecting them to get hot. Although Barzal is hurt and not sure when he gets back.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Pittsburgh will make it so that leaves one spot for 5 teams and guess what we are one of those 5 teams, it's gonna be tough but we have a shot. GO SENS GO!!!

Reactions: DustyZ

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Pittsburgh will make it so that leaves one spot for 5 teams and guess what we are one of those 5 teams, it's gonna be tough but we have a shot. GO SENS GO!!!
That's funny, in the back of my mind I'm thinking Pittsburgh, so that leaves 1 spot, and I meant competition for that. So yeah, I was granting Pittsburgh a spot too. Would love to see them miss however

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KingAlfie11

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I think we're the front runners right now I really do, but I'm most afraid of the Islanders.

Might come as surprise, just think their goaltending is tops and I'm expecting them to get hot. Although Barzal is hurt and not sure when he gets back.

Are you removing Pittsburgh from the discussion and only talking about the 8th seed? Anyways, here's how I would rank the contenders for those 2 wild card spots:

NYIslanders - they have trouble scoring but getting Horvat was a solid pick up and Sorokin keeps them in every game, he should be a Vezina finalist especially if they make it

Buffalo - their trajectory this season has been very similar to Ottawa with a poor start preceding better play for 40 odd games now. They can really light the lamp but suffer from inconsistent efforts due to their youth. If I had to pick who I'd like to see in one of these 2 spots making the playoffs with Ottawa, it's Buffalo. We've been suffering for 5 years, they've drafted in the top 10 for ten straight seasons and last time they won a series was the one before Ottawa beat them to go to the Finals 16 years ago.

Florida - playing better lately and if they can do that consistently over the stretch, they will get in

Pittsburgh - have not been that great lately but made some deadline pickups to strengthen their case. Would love to see them miss, they've had a great run with lots of success but not really SC contenders anymore

Washington - they had a slump and sold some guys off but can't be counted out. Ovechkin was gone but he's back and Sandin was a good add for the future with ability to replace some of what they lost.

Detroit - they are not good, end of story. 2 years in a row they started out hot and had people looking at their rebuild as a better example than Ottawa's, but they wilted as both seasons went on and the recent sell off points to a realization that they are still a few years away.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
That's funny, in the back of my mind I'm thinking Pittsburgh, so that leaves 1 spot, and I meant competition for that. So yeah, I was granting Pittsburgh a spot too. Would love to see them miss however
Yeah me too but Pittsburgh has just too much experience and they still have a good team, its gonna be so exciting to cheer for the Sens knowing that games matters, the goal at the start of the season was to play meaningful games in March/April and we accomplished that!

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
With the exception of Detroit and Washington I think anyone can get hot enough to challenge.

Reactions: DrEasy

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Wait..why are we assuming Pittsburgh has WC1 locked up? They are only 3 points up with same games played plus we play them still
They still have a pretty deep team and they know how to win when it matters, they have big game players, maybe they implode and don't make it this year. Maybe Tampa Bay don't make it they are a mess right now

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
They still have a pretty deep team and they know how to win when it matters, they have big game players, maybe they implode and don't make it this year. Maybe Tampa Bay don't make it they are a mess right now

It's not statistically impossible, but not likely Tampa falls out. They've been bad but would need an epic collapse. I figure going 7-12-0 to finish would still give them a spot

Reactions: Alex1234

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm gonna say Pittsburgh because Crosby and Malkin can always go beastmode.

NYI after that because Sorokin is playing nuts.

I hope Tage Thompson doesn't heat up or we have to worry about Buffalo but think we're good when it comes to Florida or Detroit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad