Who is more dominant in their sport: Ohtani, McDavid or Mahomes?

Who is more dominant in their sport?

• Total voters

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I just feel bad for people saying Ohtani.

Answer was Mahomes last year and still is this year. Will be the answer in 5 years as well.
If Ohtani was so good, how comes he hasn't won any Championships?
Mahomes just willed his team to the title.

I do understand the votes for McDavid ad this is a hockey forum after all. But he is still missing championships.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Brady was by far the most dominant, successful QB/player in football history.

One year after his retirement and Mahomes, at 28, is already doing things that have much smarter people than I suggesting he's on a trajectory that could see him pass The Man.

McDavid is a generational talent but until he wins a championship no one is seriously putting him in the conversation with Wayne, Mario and Orr (i.e. the best ever). Ohtani is similar to Connor, perhaps even more impressive considering he's doing elite things at the plate and on the mound, but again, he needs some team hardware before he's in the conversation with baseball's all-time best.

I get that to some "dominant" doesn't necessarily implying winning cups or bowls, but no one can argue it at the very least greatly enhances the argument. Mahomes > Ohtani, McDavid at least until they each win the big one.

Reactions: TheStatican

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland

Answer was Mahomes last year and still is this year. Will be the answer in 5 years as well.

I do understand the votes for McDavid ad this is a hockey forum after all. But he is still missing championships.
I feel bad for people judging how good a player is based mostly on TEAM championships.
By that logic, I'm guessing Raymond Bourque wasn't that good of a defenseman until he won a Cup with Colorado in his last season. Marcel Dionne was a hack because he never won...
And yes, Mahomes is great and is an integral part of the KC Championships but would he have won the Super Bowl this year playing with the Carolina Panthers?
If I say "If he's so good, why doesn't he win the SB every season?" You would probably think that's dumb because he still is somewhat dependent on his teammates.
And if Ohtani now wins 5 World Series in the next 6 years on a stacked Dodgers team, would that suddenly make him a greater player than he already is?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'd change my vote now, but won't. Ohtani at the time was having the best season in a century. Until he wasn't, and was subsequently blown out of the water by Acuna. He's now the highest paid DH in history, and who knows how his arm will do after his second (if I'm wrong correct me) Tommy John. I was caught up in the Ohtani hypetrain and didn't look at anything beyond the season at that moment in time.

I think McDavid is honestly the most dominant of the 3, and the superbowls don't sway it at all because I think McDavid will win a championship or two before he retires, wherever that is who knows. Him not having one yet doesn't make him any more or less dominant in my mind. It would be no different than taking Gretzky's cups away, as nothing would change regarding him as a player.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

2016 Japan Series and 2023 World Baseball Classic.

• Haha
Reactions: Nicko999

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I feel bad for people judging how good a player is based mostly on TEAM championships.
By that logic, I'm guessing Raymond Bourque wasn't that good of a defenseman until he won a Cup with Colorado in his last season. Marcel Dionne was a hack because he never won...
And yes, Mahomes is great and is an integral part of the KC Championships but would he have won the Super Bowl this year playing with the Carolina Panthers?
If I say "If he's so good, why doesn't he win the SB every season?" You would probably think that's dumb because he still is somewhat dependent on his teammates.
And if Ohtani now wins 5 World Series in the next 6 years on a stacked Dodgers team, would that suddenly make him a greater player than he already is?
Mahomes literally took a team with no receiver over 1000 yds, no rusher over 1000 yds to the title. Most drops, most penalties during the season.
Granted, the defense played amazing but there is no title without Mahomes magic late in the game.

Last year he won the title with a sprained ankle being perfect (only 1 incompletions) in the second half of the Super Bowl.

The Chiefs were literally underdogs 4 of their last 5 playoff games. In those 4 instances, the other team had a better team overall but Mahomes was able to make the difference.

Also Mahomes is widely considered the 2nd greatest football player at the age of 28 already.

Is Ohtani the second best baseball player in history?
Is McDavid the second best hockey player ever?

I am sorry but any other answer than Mahomes is pure homerism.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I understand why Ohtani is winning this, but he's not dominant at baseball in that sense that he's head and shoulders above his competition. He's not the best hitter, he's not the best pitcher, he's just really good at both.

Reactions: 95snipes

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
I honestly didn't care for him much before this game, but those late game heroics were epic if not down right legendary, so much so that I changed my vote. With the win Mahomes matched Brady's postseason success (to the same age) and this is where Brady's 10-year championship drough kicks in! I doubt he'll have the late career success Brady had, but if he just keeps doing what he's been doing for the next 10-12 years i.e. the prime years for QB's, he won't need to;

Screenshot_20240212_195120_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240212_194949_Chrome.jpg

If Kansas City secures a three-peat, something no team has ever done that will truely kick start discussions about Mahomes' potential to become the greatest of all time—a conversation that is almost certainly never going to be had with Ohtani or McDavid.

McDavid will ofc never surpass Gretzky's records, either single season or career nor will he match his post season success - Gretzky had already won 3 cups and reached 4 finals by the age of 27 while McDavid has yet to even reach the finals. As for Ohtani, maybe he could have a standout season akin to Ruth's best, but he's not likely to sustain that level of play long enough to ever come close to supplanting Ruth's status as the goat. Star baseball players unfortunately trend to age more quickly(non-enhanced ones at least) than other sport stars, seeing massive declines in their performance once they hit their 30's:
Screenshot_20240212_203824_Chrome.jpg
On top of that he won't even pitch at all next year

So it's kind of hard to vote for him as being the most dominant over a player who just came up huge yet again in the singluar most important game in team sports.

He mind controlled them to miss extra point? Keep in mind he actually messed up in the superbowl.
Sure, he made one mistake, but he more than made up for it. Also if the 49'ers make that extra point it's still extremely unlikely that everything that happened after the fact would be exactly the same so it hardly some how guarantees that the 49'ers would have won. Fact is, the extra point got blocked. Fact also is the Chiefs only won thanks to Mahomes coming through huge in OT, especially on that 4th down play after their running back got stuffed on 3rd. If Mahomes doesn't come through in that one single play, easily most pressure packed moment of his career, the 49'er win the superbowl right there and then. But he did and he somehow made it look effortless too.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Should be a landslide for Mahomes, and this from a casual watcher of the Super Bowl who doesn't dabble in any more NFL. Shohei's dominant as a two-way force in the sport, and is also known almost worldwide, but Mahomes' 3rd win coupled with the fame of association from Kelce and T-Swift definitely makes him popular beyond the sport (besides the dominance of having several championships). NHL "golden boy" McDavid pales somewhat by comparison since he's only got one-way NHL accolades (scoring championships, but isn't a Selke contender which would make him also a two-way force, nor does he have any cups, and he's not even leading the league in scoring, which was his previous calling card).

I think if you're talking about sports icons between different leagues, it'd have to be between Mahomes and a prime Steph Curry. Multiple championships, the most recent dynasty, still winning in his later years even as his running mates are fading out, plus he's got the flash and flair that make him an icon.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Mahomes is 3rd by far...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
2016 Japan Series and 2023 World Baseball Classic.

Worth mentioning in 2023 he/Japan beat the US, who in baseball are what Canada is in hockey.

I understand why Ohtani is winning this, but he's not dominant at baseball in that sense that he's head and shoulders above his competition. He's not the best hitter, he's not the best pitcher, he's just really good at both.

& nobody has been really good at both since Babe Ruth over a hundred years ago.

Reactions: DaveG

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Worth mentioning in 2023 he/Japan beat the US, who in baseball are what Canada is in hockey.

& nobody has been really good at both since Babe Ruth over a hundred years ago.

That doesn't mean he dominates the rest of the league, just means he can do both at a high level. Most valuable player? Yeah. Most dominant? No.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Mahomes literally took a team with no receiver over 1000 yds, no rusher over 1000 yds to the title. Most drops, most penalties during the season.
Granted, the defense played amazing but there is no title without Mahomes magic late in the game.

Last year he won the title with a sprained ankle being perfect (only 1 incompletions) in the second half of the Super Bowl.

The Chiefs were literally underdogs 4 of their last 5 playoff games. In those 4 instances, the other team had a better team overall but Mahomes was able to make the difference.

Also Mahomes is widely considered the 2nd greatest football player at the age of 28 already.

Its a lot easier for a QB to have that distinction vs a centre in hockey or a pitcher/DH in baseball.

The importance of a good QB can never be overstated, but it's way easier for them to shine and be recognized vs other positions. Look at hockey, the big 4 includes two centres, a right winger and a defensemen. Baseball, you have guys at different positions in the top all time rankings.

In football as good as guys like Jim Brown, Jerry Rice and Barry Sanders were they often take a backseat to QBs when people discuss the best players ever. Some fans might include Brown and Rice in their top 10 lists, but most of these lists include majority QBs.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Mahomes played well, no doubt. That game was still very much a team win, it wasn’t all on Mahomes. In fact, SF did a great job limiting his damage most of the game.

First, the game is probably a 49’ers win without the muffed punt.

The game is also completely different without Chris Jones essentially wrecking the 49’ers offense, including pressure on Purdy in OT stopping a wide open TD. He also had huge game altering pressures against the Ravens and Buffalo.

KC’s defense was absolutely lights out throughout the playoffs, neither McDavid nor Ohtani have ever had the kind of team or quality coaching support Mahomes has had.

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Baseball is probably the hardest sport of the big 4 to carry a team in and he was in a very bad organeyezation. A pitcher can theoretically steal a game very 5 days. Let's see what happens now that SO is on a stacked team
In football a QB can have a huge impact on a game

Reactions: DaveG and Bileur

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Brady was by far the most dominant, successful QB/player in football history.

One year after his retirement and Mahomes, at 28, is already doing things that have much smarter people than I suggesting he's on a trajectory that could see him pass The Man.

McDavid is a generational talent but until he wins a championship no one is seriously putting him in the conversation with Wayne, Mario and Orr (i.e. the best ever). Ohtani is similar to Connor, perhaps even more impressive considering he's doing elite things at the plate and on the mound, but again, he needs some team hardware before he's in the conversation with baseball's all-time best.

I get that to some "dominant" doesn't necessarily implying winning cups or bowls, but no one can argue it at the very least greatly enhances the argument. Mahomes > Ohtani, McDavid at least until they each win the big one.
Ohtani does not need "team hardware" to start being compared to baseball's greatest. He needs another ten years of what he's done over the last three years.

Ty Cobb never won a World Series. Neither did Ted Williams or Barry Bonds. That doesn't actually detract from their records.

Ohtani's issue is that, as great as he has been for three years, he isn't so great that his peak is actually unheard of. He's been a 9 WAR player over three years, which is great but hardly unique - plenty of players have matched or surpassed that and have longer and more productive careers besides. Ohtani, being in mid-career, does have plenty of time to add to his resume, but he has no legitimate argument to be compared to the greats of the sport until he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad