Who is better defensively?

• Total voters

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
And this warranted acknowledgement here why?

Also, Jensen is definitely not performing up to expectations so far, but AHL seems extreme.

Not sure. I prefer the nonsense on the main forums stay there rather than the Caps forum. My guess it had to do with the poster claiming he knew Caps fans that claim Jensen was better defensively which is nobody I know here. Perhaps I'm being extreme with Jensen, however he's in the dog house although not Jeff Schultz level :).

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
How did Jensen have no votes, he is solid defensively. Carlson since 2016 is a pretty strong negative in xGA and GA rates while Jensen is in a positive. Just because Carlson has super high end offense doesnt mean that hes good defensively. I know Jensen has become the whipping boy for the caps because hes bad offensively but hes actually been strong defensively, unlike Carlson.
carly vs jensen.png

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
There is literally nothing Jensen does better than John Carlson other than losing the puck in his own end or turning the puck over leading to a goal in his own end.

Reactions: Hinterland

smd333

May 2, 2012
I still have hope that Jensen's game will shape up. Like Steve Spurrier said "knot vary goud"

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I still have hope that Jensen's game will shape up. Like Steve Spurrier said "knot vary goud"

Jensen has been fine of late. He has been moved back up to Orlov and last game when Orlov was moved up to replace Kempny with Carlson, Jensen and Siegenthaler got the 2nd pair mins. I think Reirden is happier with Jensen.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
How did Jensen have no votes, he is solid defensively. Carlson since 2016 is a pretty strong negative in xGA and GA rates while Jensen is in a positive. Just because Carlson has super high end offense doesnt mean that hes good defensively. I know Jensen has become the whipping boy for the caps because hes bad offensively but hes actually been strong defensively, unlike Carlson.View attachment 289487

The Caps don’t have a whipping boy. They’re on pace for a Presidents trophy and killing it. Jensen has been fine. Everyone has been fine.

These types of stats are not reliable indicators. X goals is trash because it’s based on shot distance but not quality. It is by definition dumb, and people are wildly misusing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Caps don’t have a whipping boy. They’re on pace for a Presidents trophy and killing it. Jensen has been fine. Everyone has been fine.

These types of stats are not reliable indicators. X goals is trash because it’s based on shot distance but not quality. It is by definition dumb, and people are wildly misusing them.

There is more to expected goals models than just shot distance and location.

RPubs - A New Expected Goal Model for Predicting Goals in the NHL

Shot distance, angle, type, duration since the last shot, number of skaters, score state, whether it's a rush attempt, etc. are all contributing factors. I agree that expected goals models aren't sufficient to capture the true value of every shot but it's a decent start and a relatively good predictor of future team success, certainly a better predictor than past team success.

I think the bigger problem with just using on-ice xGF isn't the xGF model itself but rather how to factor in individual skaters' contributions to their on-ice stats given teammates, opposition, score-state, zone starts, etc. Carlson's xGF numbers aren't great, but is it because he himself is influencing the xGF numbers negatively or is it because of his context (teammates, opposition, deployment, coaching, etc.)?

A great example is the play of Orlov and Niskanen this season compared to last: both seem to be doing well this season on different teams and in different contexts but last year together they were a disaster (but before that they were fantastic together!). What caused these changes? It certainly wasn't a poor xGF model, something about them was fundamentally broken while together and everyone here saw this last year.

Carlson's on-ice defensive numbers are quite poor and from my eye-test the team isn't very good defensively when he's on the ice, but like others I don't really think Carlson himself is responsible for his poor on-ice numbers (again, from my eye-test he's seemed good in his own zone). Separating individuals' contributions is significantly harder and this is where I think the next step in analysis is heading. People are trying it through various WAR/GAR models but they still seem insufficient.

Reactions: JayBeagleFanAccount

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
Is Panik better than Ovechkin?

This argument isnt relevant at all to the question. The question isnt; Is Jensen better than Carlson? It's; Is Jensen better DEFENSIVELY than Carlson? So many people here are just missing the point, Carlson is a better player but Jensen is better defensively than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad