WJC: Who has their coming out party this WJC?

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
It seems like every year there's some less heralded prospect who has a coming out party so to speak at the WJC. For example, I think it was probably at the 2020 WJC that most people took notice of Dmitri Voronkov. For fun, let's say both obscure prospects who come out of nowhere and well known prospects who play to a level we didn't know or weren't sure they could both qualify.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
EQ8HJzEWkAESfWi.jpg

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I think people who don’t know Lane Huston very well yet are about to find out. He’s one guy that his stock will rise by a lot in the coming weeks
Anybody who bothers with the WJC should know his name already. He is probably the biggest star of the tournament besides Celebrini. Montreal fans can't shut up about him on this board anyway so its hard to avoid being informed about his adventures.

For Switzerland I hope that at least one of Ustinkov, Reber and Muggli can improve their draft stock as the tournament goes on. As far as the rest of the teams are concerned I am most interested to see if Helenius can establish himself among the very best forwards of this draft class. I am also curious to see how big of a role the Slovak Radivojevic can take on already as a tripple underager.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Anybody who bothers with the WJC should know his name already. He is probably the biggest star of the tournament besides Celebrini. Montreal fans can't shut up about him on this board anyway so its hard to avoid being informed about his adventures.

For Switzerland I hope that at least one of Ustinkov, Reber and Muggli can improve their draft stock as the tournament goes on. As far as the rest of the teams are concerned I am most interested to see if Helenius can establish himself among the very best forwards of this draft class. I am also curious to see how big of a role the Slovak Radivojevic can take on already as a tripple underager.
I think for Swiss standards, Ustinkov and Muggli already have a pretty decent draft stock...at the very least they're heavily scouted. Reber probably needs a good tournament and I also wonder if this tournament could help Leo Braillard get drafted as an overager. Comes in red hot from the WHL but the WJC20 is an even bigger stage.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I think for Swiss standards, Ustinkov and Muggli already have a pretty decent draft stock...at the very least they're heavily scouted.
There ist always still room for improvement though. Especially in Ustinkovs case its a good opportunity to show off his offensive abilities, which is hard to do playing 10 minutes a night on the bottom pairing in the NLA. I think with a good tournament both players could potentially establish themselves as fairly safe second rounders.

Reber probably needs a good tournament and I also wonder if this tournament could help Leo Braillard get drafted as an overager. Comes in red hot from the WHL but the WJC20 is an even bigger stage.
I feel like Braillard would need an outstanding WJC (PPG+) to get himself in serious consideration to be drafted. And that alone would probably not be enough. He would need to continue to produce at the same rate or better in the CHL for the rest of the season as well. There is no shortage of undrafted players in the last few years that had really good tournaments and still got left on the shelf again that year. Biasca or Aebischer are recent Swiss examples. Florian Elias and Gabriel Szturc are some international ones. Now Braillard is a bit younger than most of those guys were, which should definitely make it easier for him. But I still don't think that a good tournament alone would already seal the deal.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I think the coming out party thing is more about prospects showing they’ve taken massive steps in a massively publicized tournament on the biggest stage to scouts and fans of teams alike. 99% of these players have been scouted, drafted or not.

USA: Frank Nazar
Canada: Tanner Molendyk
Czechia: Matyas Sapovilav
Sweden: Anton Wahlberg
Finland: Leni Hammenaho
Germany: Julian Lutz
Latvia: Dans Locmellis
Norway :M B-N
Switzerland: Muggli
Slovakia: Luka Radivojevic

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There ist always still room for improvement though. Especially in Ustinkovs case its a good opportunity to show off his offensive abilities, which is hard to do playing 10 minutes a night on the bottom pairing in the NLA. I think with a good tournament both players could potentially establish themselves as fairly safe second rounders.

I feel like Braillard would need an outstanding WJC (PPG+) to get himself in serious consideration to be drafted. And that alone would probably not be enough. He would need to continue to produce at the same rate or better in the CHL for the rest of the season as well. There is no shortage of undrafted players in the last few years that had really good tournaments and still got left on the shelf again that year. Biasca or Aebischer are recent Swiss examples. Florian Elias and Gabriel Szturc are some international ones. Now Braillard is a bit younger than most of those guys were, which should definitely make it easier for him. But I still don't think that a good tournament alone would already seal the deal.
Never easy to get drafted as an overager but Dionicio managed last year and I think Braillard and Muller have a chance. I'd include Taibel as well but the injury kinda ruined his season so it's probably gonna be an uphill climb for him even if he does have yet another good WJC. He'd also be a double overager so that's not gonna happen anymore.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

That’s exactly my point. People know his name but will find out why Habs fans are so bullish on the guy.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Never easy to get drafted as an overager but Dionicio managed last year and I think Braillard and Muller have a chance. I'd include Taibel as well but the injury kinda ruined his season so it's probably gonna be an uphill climb for him even if he does have yet another good WJC.

Dionicio is a bit of a special case. He has outstanding offensive tools that make him sort of a boom or bust type of prospect. Anaheim swung for the fences with this pick. Braillard and Müller are much more common player types that you can find in greater quantity in the CHL, Finland, Sweden or Russia. They don't have nearly the same upside that Dionicio has.

I'd say Braillards chances are small but intact. Müllers chances are very small. And Taibels chances would be pretty much inexistent even if he were healthy. I think we as Swiss fans are tending to overrate players that stand out in our shallow prospect pool. Even Theo Rochette didn't get drafted despite putting up 1.5 PPG+ in his last two seasons in the Q.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
USA - Snuggerud
Sweden - Stenberg
Slovakia - Dvorsky ( HM - Pakarcik )

haha I’m not biased

Reactions: Sticktape

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Somewhat obvious choice: ASP
Much less obvious choice- Oiva Keskinen... I don't think he's going to put up a ton of points, but people will just be saying "who is this guy?" and will be surprised to see he was a 7th rd choice. Reminds me a bit that way (not stylistically but just as a Finnish, Center 7th rd pick who outplays his draft position) of Juuso Parssinen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad