Who has the most to prove these playoffs?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
There are guys who have played almost double... I'd say the GF% of Drai is way more concerning...

McDavid is tied for 67th in GP and 2nd in GA at ES... Drai is tied for 67th in GP and is 1st...

Not sure you can just blame the two D for how bad those two are defensively.

There are guys who have played almost double... I'd say the GF% of Drai is way more concerning...

McDavid is tied for 67th in GP and 2nd in GA at ES... Drai is tied for 67th in GP and is 1st...

Not sure you can just blame the two D for how bad those two are defensively.
If I were to list ten reasons that we lost to the eventual Stanley Cup champs two years in a row... McD and drai dont touch my top ten.
Our D, our GM, our lack of depth around them.

I'll put it another way.. I think Eichel and MacKinnon are amazing. Do you think if McDavid had their spot on their cup teams.. you think they don't win the cup?

Now reverse it.. replace McD on the oilers with Eichel or Mack... You think oilers win a cup the last two seasons?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
GA is important... you can just do GF%, Matthews, and Marner are ahead of McDavid and Drai is barely 50%.

It is 3 years, the 4th year hasn't happened yet.

This isn't hard to grasp.

McDavid has good numbers, but he is also getting scored on a lot.

You think if they were putting up close to 2 ppg they'd have done more than get swept in the 3rd round...

There is a reason Edmonton has not done any damage in the playoffs and it isn't to do with a lack of scoring.
GA is important, goal differential more important.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
GA is important, goal differential more important.

I agree... it's why Drai is worrisome and McDavid not as much...

If I were to list ten reasons that we lost to the eventual Stanley Cup champs two years in a row... McD and drai dont touch my top ten.
Our D, our GM, our lack of depth around them.

I'll put it another way.. I think Eichel and MacKinnon are amazing. Do you think if McDavid had their spot on their cup teams.. you think they don't win the cup?

Now reverse it.. replace McD on the oilers with Eichel or Mack... You think oilers win a cup the last two seasons?

No, but they may be better defensively

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Leafs and Oilers. Anything less than the Cup won‘t do.

Oh, just like the Stars, Vegas, Ranger, Canes, Cats…

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In addition to the Leafs:

Rangers
Oilers
Hurricanes
Jets

In order IMO

Why the Rangers more than the Oilers and Hurricanes? The Oilers have the greatest player of our generation and no cups. And I hate to say but I bet if 100 people were polled on what team is better 60 people at least would say the Canes are better than the Rangers. And the Canes haven't even been past the second round. Plus they actually went big game hunting during the trade deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Aside from the obvious Leafs/Oilers....I'd put the Rangers pretty high on the list. I still don't know if they are contenders or pretenders. Even with a Vezina-level Shesterkin, last year, they fell pretty short. And Shesterkin isn't having a good year and Quick seems to be running out of gas as the season concludes.

The East is going to be a chaotic mess, this year, and could benefit from the West beating themselves up, much like when the Penguins won their cup against Nashville. The Predators were so decimated by the time they got to the SCF, it was just too much.

Unless you're referring to the playoffs Shesterkin wasn't Vezina level last year.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Oilers 100%

After a ridiculous amount of top 10 Draft pics over the last decade they’ve self appointed themselves the team to beat and Canadas team.

The players, the management and the fans have essentially been waiting for the players to put it all together over the last year and then Vancouver emerges out of nowhere and takes all attention away from the Oilers.

Talk about an existential crisis. Imagine thinking you’ll be the next Dynasty and never even winning a division and then being worse than the Leafs AND Canucks. Talk about a spiritual crisis for Oilers fans. They’re constantly seething and obsessed with the Canucks because the Canucks are what they wanted their team to be. A deep, well coached team with equal parts scoring, strong D and a Vezina calibre goalie. The jealousy flows through them.

People think Drai and McDavid look off. Maybe they are. I just think they’re over the Edmonton experience. If the Oilers don’t win it all they fans may be forced to watch McDavid and Drai win it elsewhere.

It’s a nightmare for Oilers fans.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Leafs
Oilers
Canes
Bruins
Rangers

Imo these are all clubs that will regress so winning now is a must.

See I think folks have the wrong read on the Bruins. This was the retool year to wait for the 4.5 million in Bergeron/Krejci overages to expire and the 7 million on Forbort and Gryz to expire. Marchand is old, but the rest of the team is very much not. This year is house money and next year they will have the cash to make some significant additions. Having a bag of cash can go badly, of course, but the Bruins aren't in some hopeless state.

??? or Heinen (28 years old today, UFA) - Zacha (26) - Pastrnak (27)
Marchand (35) - Coyle (31) - ??? or Debrusk (27, UFA) or Lysell (21)
Frederic (25) - Poitras (20) - Geekie (25)
Beecher (22) Boqvist (25) Brazeau (25)
Lauko (23)

Lindholm (30) McAvoy (26)
??? - Carlo (27)
Lorhei (23) Peeke (25)
Wotherspoon (26)

Swayman (25) or Ullmark (30), they will trade one...probably
Bussi (25)

About 18-20 million in space to fill the three bolded.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The Hurricanes need to at least not go out and get goalied again this year. Potentially quite a bit of roster turnover set to occur there shortly as well iirc.

insomniaddict

Jan 9, 2020
Finland
Yep I'm gonna have to go with the Oilers too. They've been a great regular season team for way too long to not have reached the SC finals once within the McDavid era. They have solid enough roster to win the cup, but do they have the mental strength?

Reactions: sanscosm

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
How old was Lemieux when he won his cups?

How old was Ovi?

Ray Bourgue?

Joe Sakic?

Steve Y?

Matthews?

MacK?

Was Dionne 27 when he retired?
I’m with you on this and McDavid has plenty of time and is not the problem with the Oilers in the playoffs but:

25 and 26 - Lemieux
32 - Ovie
40 - Bourque
26 & 31 - Sakic
32, 33 & 37 - Yzerman (amusingly the only guy whose birthday comes before July)
26 - Mack

2.5 (half because of Sakic’s second) of these were strange choices for examples if the point was that not winning before turning 27 doesn’t mean McDavid never will. Well including 26 year old Matthews was also odd but dunking on the Leafs is always fun

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I’m with you on this and McDavid has plenty of time and is not the problem with the Oilers in the playoffs but:

25 and 26 - Lemieux
32 - Ovie
40 - Bourque
26 & 31 - Sakic
32, 33 & 37 - Yzerman (amusingly the only guy whose birthday comes before July)
26 - Mack

2.5 (half because of Sakic’s second) of these were strange choices for examples if the point was that not winning before turning 27 doesn’t mean McDavid never will. Well including 26 year old Matthews was also odd but dunking on the Leafs is always fun
Thanks for giving me the ages!

Appreciate it. See your point about 2 5. I think Matthews is insanely good... And I definitely think he's not why leafs don't win cups either.

Reactions: GeoRox89

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom

Appreciate it. See your point about 2 5. I think Matthews is insanely good... And I definitely think he's not why leafs don't win cups either.
Funnily enough, I just figured you missed the second half of the year birthdays thought that Sakic and Mack were 27.

McDavid at 1.52 vs 1.53 is peak consistency. I’m not buying a .01 (.66%) increase as significant enough to constitute scoring more in the playoffs. Matthews going from 1.16 to 0.88 and 0.66 GPG to 0.44 is significant enough a drop to be a problem on a top heavy team. Matthews isn’t the only problem with the Leafs in the playoffs but that kind of production drop is one of their problems.

(Before anyone tries to turn that second paragraph into a Canadian fanbase pissing match thing, Avs fan and hate both teams but can still recognize McDavid is the best player in the game and Matthews is a generational goal scorer)

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021

Matthews would be pacing to 36 goals and 72 points (0.88ppg, 50gp) in 82 games in playoffs. I can't remember him having any important big games either.

Reactions: GeoRox89

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
I feel like the pressure is off the Leafs. No one I know thinks their a legit threat. If they can win a round or two they should be ecstatic.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers 100%

After a ridiculous amount of top 10 Draft pics over the last decade they’ve self appointed themselves the team to beat and Canadas team.

The players, the management and the fans have essentially been waiting for the players to put it all together over the last year and then Vancouver emerges out of nowhere and takes all attention away from the Oilers.

Talk about an existential crisis. Imagine thinking you’ll be the next Dynasty and never even winning a division and then being worse than the Leafs AND Canucks. Talk about a spiritual crisis for Oilers fans. They’re constantly seething and obsessed with the Canucks because the Canucks are what they wanted their team to be. A deep, well coached team with equal parts scoring, strong D and a Vezina calibre goalie. The jealousy flows through them.

People think Drai and McDavid look off. Maybe they are. I just think they’re over the Edmonton experience. If the Oilers don’t win it all they fans may be forced to watch McDavid and Drai win it elsewhere.

It’s a nightmare for Oilers fans.
The nightmare was the first part of the regular season. Since then its been pretty good. We didn't win the division but we've been decent. The Bolts and Knights proved that regular season domination isn't a great indicator of a future cup winner

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
As a Leafs fan, it’s hard to imagine anyone has more pressure on them than the Matthews/ Marner/ Tavares/ Nylander group, but there have to be others out there feeling the heat too.
Normally I'd agree, i mean why pay the big bucks for a 1st round exit, however, almost everyone realizes that they are going to up against one of the best teams in the league, while they are merely good.

I'd say EDM, and maybe CAR.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Hellebuyck needs to prove he's worth the big bucks as the best American goalie today. He hasn't been great the last few playoffs.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
I mean, it is cliché at this point, but Toronto of course. Until they get to a Cup Final, they will always be considered as disappointing.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Matthews would be pacing to 36 goals and 72 points (0.88ppg, 50gp) in 82 games in playoffs. I can't remember him having any important big games either.
Last playoffs Matthews drove the Leafs comeback in game 4 when they were down 4-1 and scored two goals late in the third. He also broke a 0-0 tie in a close game 6 (and was the best player in the game) which they eventually won in OT. Overall his playoff performances have been a mixed bag, but more often than not he's been the team's best player. Definitely sucked against Florida though.

Edit: oh look a virgin Oilers fan with a laugh react, how predictable

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad