Who had the worst decline this season?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Nuge is the same. His last season was abnormal for him. In terms of decline as a player, I actually think Evander Kane is steering towards washed up territory soon.
The people saying Nuge are only looking at stats. You're right, his game is the exact same, he just didn't have the shooting percentage from last year and the Oilers powerplay took a step backwards. Kane had a rough year. I don't see him ending up in washed up territory as long as he is willing to accept that his role is likely going to diminish into that of an energy guy/banger/grinder instead of a scorer. That wrist injury really seems to have ruined his shot.

I'd still say the safer bet is one of the older guys like Malkin. I didn't watch a ton of Pittsburgh this year, but the games I did watch, he didn't seem scary at all out there, and he used to be terrifying any time he had the puck.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Thompson and Robertson are not surprising. No way those two guys are 100 pts players in the long run!

I was disappointed by Stutzle, Zibanejad, Caufield, Karlsson, and Dahlin this year. Oh, and Sanderson. Only a bit above 30 points? Wtf? He was disappointing on that front, like most of his team this year.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yes. Surprising. Found it hard to believe the Devils would have had any use for this guy in last years first two rounds of play off hockey.

Forgot Eller even played fir the Aves.
The guy is done......but Sullivan loves him. Reg shift, pp, pk, key face offs. lol
When Buffalo signed Erik Johnson and Pitt got Eller… lots of Avs fans were shaking their heads.

Washed and washed.

Reactions: PaulD

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Not really. His individual and on-ice shooting percentages in both 21-22 and 22-23 were roughly the same, and not really at a level that’s unsustainable for an elite player, which suggests he made a jump in 21-22 then got better in 22-23. And while his numbers are down this year, his production is still in line with 21-22. It’s possible this year is actually a result of poor shooting while dealing with injuries.

I don't see him being a 16% shooter long term. Probably closer to 13 or 14 imo. He was unlucky this year but I see him more as a 75-85 point guy going forward than a 90+ one. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't think he's elite. I could very well be wrong. His shooting has been all over so it's hard to say. We'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: Regal

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Erik Karlsson had the steepest decline.

Unfortunately, he's the type of a player who you can't rein in or he'll just suck. He requires complete freedom and the other players to just deal with whatever comes with it. If you don't give him that, he's just not worth it. He can't play "normal" hockey.

I doubt he'll ever work with Sullivan.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
career year in assists, goals down by half.
Was a down year.
Like a lot suspected, after seeing his wrist taped all year, and big athletic bands running up his neck.
Missed practice for about 3 weeks straight. Turns out he was was injured, hurt his wrist again in game 4 he said on garbage day, and was playing with a shoulder issue that was bothering him most of the year, he said, then aggravated it with 2-3 weeks to go, and didn’t play again.

Reactions: Dionysus

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't see him being a 16% shooter long term. Probably closer to 13 or 14 imo. He was unlucky this year but I see him more as a 75-85 point guy going forward than a 90+ one. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't think he's elite. I could very well be wrong. His shooting has been all over so it's hard to say. We'll have to wait and see.

Fair enough. He has a great shot but I guess it depends if he’s getting it off in the best positions. I could see him more in between the two seasons, I agree.

Reactions: LarKing

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
Maybe not through point totals, but Stamkos has seemed to really decline as a 5v5 player and I can see some pontential big drops coming for him in the very near future

Stammer hasn’t been the same since he broke his leg. But he is still producing points. And he really doesn’t need to carry the load as much with Point and Kuch there and to lesser extent Paul and Hagel.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
One of the major reasons that Dahlin, Thompson and Tuch regressed this year was the death of the power play. Last year, the PP clicked at 23.4% and scored 63 goals. This year, they dropped to 16.6% and scored only 37 goals. That's a loss of 26 goals just on the PP -- many of which should have been scored or assisted on by Dahlin, Tage and Tuch. Add to that Tage's injury (which affected Skinner and Tuch) and the team not playing as wide open a style, and these declines are more of a statement about the team this year than the decline of any individual player. Let's see what happens next year. Tage looked like his old self again at the end of the season when he was healthy and Skinner got replaced by Peterka.

Reactions: Grulemieux

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Stammer hasn’t been the same since he broke his leg. But he is still producing points. And he really doesn’t need to carry the load as much with Point and Kuch there and to lesser extent Paul and Hagel.
I know his point totals are just fine but from what I’ve seen, and echoed by some Bolts fans, he doesn’t very little productively at 5v5 and needs others to do the work for him

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Unfortunately, he's the type of a player who you can't rein in or he'll just suck. He requires complete freedom and the other players to just deal with whatever comes with it. If you don't give him that, he's just not worth it. He can't play "normal" hockey.

He had the similar production and questionable defense of Gostisbehere but for $6 million more a season (and for 3 more years).

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Tavares has to be on this list as well. Dropped 15 points from last season (65 pts) and 15 mph in speed. That 11M contract. Ooph.

Reactions: hn777

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The bolded applies to like 99% of the players under Sullivan because Sullivan never lets them play to their strengths. He has an idea of how every player has to play and will keep forcing to play that way even if it results in neutering what they're good at.

Reactions: NoMessi

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Patrice Bergeron, from captain of the Bruins and the greatest NHL season ever while putting up 60 points to 0 points and a complete no show all 82 games
He couldn't even win a faceoff! LOL

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
A juiced up PP playing with a generational talent and an unsustainable sh% is a hell of a drug. Turned a 20 goal, 50-60 pt man into a 37 goal, 104 pt guy for one season. This year was Hyman's turn for a career year. Maybe next season it'll be Foegele?
Hyman had a worse year this year than last season

He had 83 pts in 79 games last year and now 77 in 82

People cared only for goals, but hyman was more dynmaic and offensively valuable last year then this season

He just went back to his career average. Last year was his career year but at least it was after he signed long term.
RNH makes begger money for an NHL 1st liner lol

He makes a bit more than 5M, and is a 65-75 pt player generally

Gives the oilers 2-3M in surplus value depending on how his defensive/intensity is on a game to game basis

His deal alone makes up for most of Campbell dead cap

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad