Who had more impressive rookie season in their respective sport, Connor Bedard, or Victor Wenbayama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
If you're not interested in basketball, you could just not reply to the thread.
But then we wouldn't know that those people hate the NBA, which is super valuable information apparently

Basketball is half the sport hockey is. McDavid and no one in the NBA are even remotely close.
ones a mans sport and the other is a p***y sport
Literally nobody cares

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Why do (some) hockey fans have to act like clowns towards other sports?

NBA dwarfs, and I mean absolutely dwarfs, the NHL in terms of popularity and relevance in the USA and especially globally and Wembanyama is a bigger superstar than *any* NHL player (like it's not even close) much less rookie Bedard.

If it's not your cup of tea fine but hockey fans who can't bring themselves to like or respect other sports need to humble themselves.

This is coming from someone who has the NHL/Hockey as by a mile my fav sport/league (while also being a huge fan of NBA and many other leagues).
Yep, it's always super embarrassing reading any thread that mentions other sports on this site. People come off as crazy insecure, like "hockey is a man's sport" lmao.

That being said, anyone saying Bedard just doesn't know anything about the other sport because it's Wemby AINEC.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Yeah probably Wemby. Doesn’t hurt him that he’s a couple years older as well. One thing is undeniable though, both of their teams are still booty cheeks

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Wemby has a chance to be the most unique player in basketball history and will likely be All-World for the next decade. Bedard is a freak in his own right but he wasn’t close to Wemby during their rookie seasons.

The Wiz were one ping pong ball away from getting Wemby :cry:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
everyone played more minutes though, and LeBron was 13th in ppg vs Wemby at 30th. So LeBron's competition was all playing a lot more mins because superstars all played more mins 20 years ago vs today.

I agree Wemby has a bigger impact overall though, but using raw totals is pretty stupid because every counting stat is significantly higher now than it was in 2003-04
LeBron was 22th best producer per minute in his rookie year among all NBA players. He was 2nd in rookie scoring per minute, below Carmelo Anthony who was 12th. Wembanyama is 15th in scoring per minute this year, while being most impactful defensive player in entire league and being more efficient scorer. There is not a chance Lebron was the better rookie between him and Wembanyama.

When Wembanyama played more minutes after minute restriction, his production skyrocketed and started to post insane numbers. Magic still has the best rookie year for me. He won it all, including finals MVP. Carried his team to NBA championship, while the best player of that team Kareem was out.

Last edited:
Reactions: AzHawk

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
"No one is allowed to play defense" in a thread about Victor Wembayama.
yeah he plays in a league with no defense.

Bedard and it isnt even close. need more skill and talent to be a hockey player over playing in the NBA.

there's a reason why there's no All-Star Celebrity Game in the NHL. it's a tougher sport to play

Grab your safety blanket little buddy it's gunna be okay. Maybe learn about the ignore thread option once your cozy under there too.
you do know there's an area for Basketball right?

• Haha
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan

Bedard and it isnt even close. need more skill and talent to be a hockey player over playing in the NBA.

there's a reason why there's no All-Star Celebrity Game in the NHL. it's a tougher sport to play

you do know there's an area for Basketball right?
Bedard isn't even going to have a better season than Mat Barzal. Gtfoh with these bad faith arguments.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Out of all the weird basketball comments, this one is the most ridiculous.

Offense is through the roof in the NBA because guys are scoring from 30+ feet at the rate and efficiency at which they used to score from 10 feet. There's nothing the defense can do to prevent good shooters from shooting good.

Individual players in the NBA have way more of an expectation to play defense than NHL players. It's not close.

If you're good at scoring in the NHL, and suck at defense, everyone will literally just ignore it. The entire Hart Trophy field ranges from poor to below-average defensively. None of the stars are particularly good at it.

If you're below-average defensively in the NBA, you don't play.

If you look at the NBA 75th Anniversary team, like two-thirds of them are elite defenders. Even Kobe Bryant, who had a reputation for being a bit maverick, was 12-time all-defense.

Wembanyama is playing defense at a level no rookie forward has ever played at in the NHL and nobody would expect them to.

You can not like the high-scoring environment, but to say the expectation on defense is more culturally relevant in hockey is extremely off-base. It's the opposite.

Basketball players grow up playing 1v1 and 2v2 at the park. You think they're not defending?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Out of all the weird basketball comments, this one is the most ridiculous.

Offense is through the roof in the NBA because guys are scoring from 30+ feet at the rate and efficiency at which they used to score from 10 feet. There's nothing the defense can do to prevent good shooters from shooting good.

Individual players in the NBA have way more of an expectation to play defense than NHL players. It's not close.

If you're good at scoring in the NHL, and suck at defense, everyone will literally just ignore it. The entire Hart Trophy field ranges from poor to below-average defensively. None of the stars are particularly good at it.

If you're below-average defensively in the NBA, you don't play.

If you look at the NBA 75th Anniversary team, like two-thirds of them are elite defenders. Even Kobe Bryant, who had a reputation for being a bit maverick, was 12-time all-defense.

Wembanyama is playing defense at a level no rookie forward has ever played at in the NHL and nobody would expect them to.

You can not like the high-scoring environment, but to say the expectation on defense is more culturally relevant in hockey is extremely off-base. It's the opposite.

Basketball players grow up playing 1v1 and 2v2 at the park. You think they're not defending?
Im obviously not a big basketball fan but things seem very different from the years MJ played to now. they used to beat on the guy. seems like now you tap a guy and its a foul. so to me it looks like its a defenseless league. I apologize if Im wrong about that.

I do find hockey to be the MUCH harder sport to play so Ill take Bedard in this

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Im obviously not a big basketball fan but things seem very different from the years MJ played to now. they used to beat on the guy. seems like now you tap a guy and its a foul. so to me it looks like its a defenseless league. I apologize if Im wrong about that.

I do find hockey to be the MUCH harder sport to play so Ill take Bedard in this
You’re not wrong, the game is different compared to MJ era. It’s much more skill based and less physicality, because rules are in favor for skill players. It’s the same with NHL, game is pretty much different from Scott Stevens and Pronger era. League was much tougher, but less skilled. I don’t see how the transition of NBA is more extreme compared to NHL? I would argue NHL going more soft compared to NBA in their respective transition period. Tough era NHL was not a joke, and would probably be toughest team sport back then. In the NHL difference is day and night and in NBA the difference is noticiable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You’re not wrong, the game is different compared to MJ era. It’s much more skill based and less physicality, because rules are in favor for skill players. It’s the same with NHL, game is pretty much different from Scott Stevens and Pronger era. League was much tougher, but less skilled. I don’t see how the transition of NBA is more extreme compared to NHL? I would argue NHL going more soft compared to NBA in their respective transition period from tougher game to a skill based game. NHL back then was not a joke, and would probably be toughest team sport back then.
you know maybe this isnt a conversation I should be apart of Ive never seen this guy play before so hard for me to compare to Bedard who I have seen.

my view on the NBA being a easy league is prob wrong too. Im just so used to seeing arguments between MJ fans and LeBron, also Last Dance shows the brutality of the 90s at times too

so I apologize to everyone part of this thread for having such a negative view on the NBA

but I do think hockey in general is a tougher sport to play, cant just have anyone throw on some skates and go out there and play. I would assume if it was easier we would also have celebrity all-star games.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
not even top 3 in any category except maybe hardest sport to play and even that is arguable when you include combat sports
well adding combat sports and Extreme Sports and its not that far on the list changes things up abit. but those arent really team sports either.

Skateboarding might be the hardest sport then

Aug 3, 2010
you know maybe this isnt a conversation I should be apart of Ive never seen this guy play before so hard for me to compare to Bedard who I have seen.

my view on the NBA being a easy league is prob wrong too. Im just so used to seeing arguments between MJ fans and LeBron, also Last Dance shows the brutality of the 90s at times too

so I apologize to everyone part of this thread for having such a negative view on the NBA

but I do think hockey in general is a tougher sport to play, cant just have anyone throw on some skates and go out there and play. I would assume if it was easier we would also have celebrity all-star games.
By this definition, polo is a harder sport to play.

Not everyone can just jump on a horse and go out there and whack a ball.
Imagine trying to control a live animal with its own set of instincts and it is literally 5 times your weight, while being surrounded by other players who are also trying to control their animal, all while trying to just play the sport part of whacking the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad