Player Discussion Who Gets Phillips' A?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Who gets Phillips "A"?

Karlsson keeps the C and Neil will keep his A when playing.

Who gets Phillips A, which could be full time? Who shares Neil's when he's not dressing?

My thought is Turris or Phaneuf gets Phillips - leaning towards Phaneuf

And Pageau shares Neil's. Or maybe it gets rotated around so Stone and others get a leadership shot.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Turris should get it. Phaneuf will get it.

What's wrong with Phaneuf getting it? He seems like a great candidate; Turris leads by example but Phaneuf is (apparently) more vocal, so I guess it depends what the staff wants.

I don't think Pageau will get the letter when Neil is out.. it's more likely to be Turris or Phaneuf (whoever doesn't get a perma-A).

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
I'd love to see Pageau get a letter in a couple of years if he continues to play his consistent hard nosed defensive game.

Maybe Stone as another candidate in a few years.

Personally I'd rather not see Phaneuf with a letter. Keep him out of the spotlight, and just let him go to work every game.

My dark horse - Hoffman. Prediction: he signs long-term, flourishes under Boucher, and puts it all together for some fabulous 80-point seasons. Scores some clutch goals in the playoffs and gets the nickname "mailman" because he always delivers.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The way Dorion talks about Phaneuf, it seems kind of inevitable that he'll get the 2nd "A" (and yes, I know coaches distribute the letters, but it's a gut call on my part here).
Turris will get Neil's "A" in 2017/18.

Alternatively, even thought I know they won't do it, I'd love to see the team rotate assistant's "A"s on the road and at home.

HOME: Karlsson (C), Neil (A), MacArthur/Methot/whoever (A)
AWAY: Karlsson (C), Phaneuf (A), Turris (A)

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The way Dorion talks about Phaneuf, it seems kind of inevitable that he'll get the 2nd "A" (and yes, I know coaches distribute the letters, but it's a gut call on my part here).
Turris will get Neil's "A" in 2017/18.

Alternatively, even thought I know they won't do it, I'd love to see the team rotate assistant's "A"s on the road and at home.

HOME: Karlsson (C), Neil (A), MacArthur/Methot/whoever (A)
AWAY: Karlsson (C), Phaneuf (A), Turris (A)

I just feel like this is unnecessarily complicated. Neil only having a letter at home in the CTC kind of sandbags him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I want it to be Boro just because the threads would be really fun to read.

Turris or Phaneuf sounds right. Methot might be a dark horse candidate. It is really hard for anyone to speculate because we're not in the room and we don't have a proper idea of what these players are actually like behind closed doors, but Stone always seems to lead by example with his play, so maybe he might be a candidate.

They already rotated As a lot last year with Phillips out, Neil sometimes scratched, and Turris hurt. They should have a pretty good idea of who they want to give them to.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Turris had the A full time last year. I don't think it's going to be any different.

Probably

C-Karlsson
A- Turris
A- Neil ( out of respect ) Phaneuf or Stone will replace Neil if needed.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
To continue with my new found hobby this summer of pumping JGP's tires (over guilt of underrating/underestimating him for so long), I don't think he needs an "A" on his jersey to be a leader. The guy leads by example, and to a smaller extent than Stone, makes his line mates better.

Phaneuf also doesn't need an "A" to be a leader, but I think his captaincy experience and leadership warrants an "A" on his jersey. The team has made a long-term commitment (5 years left) on him so he will be here for the next little while.

They can give it to Turris now as he's had it last year, I hope Phaneuf gets Neil's (who I see playing at a limited capacity; i.e. not starting every game under the new regime that stresses on counter attacks).

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Neil earned and deserves that A until he retires.

Phaneuf or Turris probably gets the other.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
What's wrong with Phaneuf getting it? He seems like a great candidate; Turris leads by example but Phaneuf is (apparently) more vocal, so I guess it depends what the staff wants.

I don't think Pageau will get the letter when Neil is out.. it's more likely to be Turris or Phaneuf (whoever doesn't get a perma-A).

Phaneuf is a good option, Turris has seniority is a great leader young and just connects with the locker room better

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
There is no rule saying you can only have 2 alternates in the NHL. That is only in international play such as Olympics, Worlds, etc.

C - Karlsson
A - Neil
A - Turris
A - Phaneuf

When Neil retires or cannot play due to injury do not pass it along.

If Phaneuf or Turris are injured give it to Ryan, Methor, MacArthur, and rotate it.

That is just my 2 cents.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Didn't Ryan wear the A while someone was injured last year? I remember when he battled through one of his slumps with fantastic defensive effort. I think he's a candidate.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
There is no rule saying you can only have 2 alternates in the NHL. That is only in international play such as Olympics, Worlds, etc.

C - Karlsson
A - Neil
A - Turris
A - Phaneuf

When Neil retires or cannot play due to injury do not pass it along.

If Phaneuf or Turris are injured give it to Ryan, Methor, MacArthur, and rotate it.

That is just my 2 cents.

I like it

C - Karlsson
A - Neil
A - Turris
A - Phaneuf
A - Brassard
A - Stone
A - Ryan
A - MacA
A - Anderson
A - Boro

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Didn't Ryan wear the A while someone was injured last year? I remember when he battled through one of his slumps with fantastic defensive effort. I think he's a candidate.

When Turris, Neil, Phaneuf, Boro were out of the Lineup, it was Stone and Ryan who had the A.

I can't believe Boro's name is said with a letter as subject :facepalm:

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Karlsson (C)
MacArthur (A)
Stone (A)
Phaneuf (A)

Is how I would go by end of year. Sure, give it to Neil until game 1000 and he rides the bench. Turris is a battler, but he's hardly proved himself to be a leader (from afar, etc). Leadership was lacking last year - not fair to pin it all on Karlsson. I see some shake-up for the A's behind Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad