Who else roots for a nation not their own?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I tend to root for underdogs if it isn't a home country thing. I may be overly optimistic to think that somewhere a child is watching this tournament and decides they want to be the next U20 hero and eventually we will all get to benefit from watching them play.

karlstegger

May 15, 2016
Denmark
I'm Danish but since my mum introduced me to hockey and the physical play by Team Canada against Russia when I was 5 (which is 43 years ago), I've always cheered for Canada. I have a soft spot for Czech Republic as well.

Reactions: hn777

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm an underdog guy, or whatever team has Colorado players/prospects on it.

The one exception to that being the Olympics where I'll cheer for Canada but that's mostly because of the grander picture of the Olympics and the overall medal counts.

For whatever reason I'm not very patriotic at all when it comes to international hockey, but I absolutely love rooting for Canada when it comes to the Olympics in general and by associated the Canadian hockey team.

Reactions: MardyBum

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
mostly my teams prospects and for upsets. I generally love chaos and someone like Latvia winning a medal of some sort would be the epitome of that while not being entirely out of the realm of plausibility.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Generally whatever teams Jets prospects are on, so it will be Sweden and USA this year. Olympics I'll get all nationalistic, for these tournaments it's about my teams prospects or some random underdog

Reactions: hn777

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
As Finn I don't cheer for any team. Hockey is just entertainment.
National teams are Pejorative Slured anyway. In skiing Norway wins everything because they have the best equipment.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I'm Canadian, and I don't cheer for Canada. I usually don't cheer for any country in particular, but I do like certain teams and certain players.

But I've generally always liked the hockey played by Russia (and the Soviet Union when I was younger). Many of my all-time favourite players are Russian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad