Who else roots for a nation not their own?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
From the US. Always love rooting for Latvia, even though they rarely have much success.

When it comes to medal contenders, I like for the US to win, but otherwise I'm mostly just petty and want to see Canada lose :laugh:

I also love a good home team, so I'll be happy to cheer for Sweden this year.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
I think you would find it pretty rare that a Canadian is not rooting for Canada in this tournament. Most of us have crappy Canadian NHL teams, so this is our chance to actually cheer on a winner. On that note though, it's going to be tough for Canada when you look at that stacked U.S team.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I think you would find it pretty rare that a Canadian is not rooting for Canada in this tournament. Most of us have crappy Canadian NHL teams, so this is our chance to actually cheer on a winner. On that note though, it's going to be tough for Canada when you look at that stacked U.S team.

Canadians root for anyone playing against the USA team lol

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I usually root for individual players in the Devils' system.

Been easy to pull for Team USA though the past few years though between Luke Hughes and now Seamus Casey being prominent players on the team.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
My default is to root for USA and anyone playing Canada, but last couple tourneys I was heavily invested in wishing Bedard to the Hawks into existence so I was pulling for him and Canada.

This year future Hawk Celebrini is on Canada so might have to root for them again.

• Haha
Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I’m Canadian, so I cheer for Canada first, but I was born American so I still cheer for them. I also used to cheer for CCCP, but i don’t cheer for the current Russian teams. I also like a good underdog story and pull for Hab prospects.

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I'm American and love all things America and root for us to win every gold at the olympics, etc. but when it comes to world juniors I root more for Canes prospects to do well than for the US to do well.

Reactions: DaveG

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Canadian. Been rooting for Sweden, followed by Finland for at least 25 years.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I support the German National Team in football, so I can relate.

My ancestors were Alsatian. It's France now but it used to be Germany and they considered themselves German.

Reactions: jj cale

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I have "always" been somewhat intuitively rooting for countries neighbouring witch CZE (Slovakia, Austria, Germany, Poland, although Poland hasn't been exactly great in hockey), perhaps because I know the cities, culture, languages, some people there. The same goes for Slovenia because I've been liking it there, it is a lovely country, and for Norway and Latvia (the same reason). With Sweden and Finland, I like the countries too but I assume they are strong enough and have enough own supporters, so to say. :D Always have been respecting Canada as the "cradle of hockey" and the country where hockey is simply the biggest of all countries in the world. Never have been rooting for Russia which is related to the historical rivarly between Czechia/Czechoslovakia and Russia/Soviet Union, still I respect the great tradition of the Soviet/Russian hockey school.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
images.jpg

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Honestly, with the WJC i don't really care about what nation wins. It's a great tourney to watch future talent and probably the most fun since the stacked olympic games.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I cheer for Canada and anyone playing the Russians, and since they aren't playing, just Canada unless there is a Cinderella worth cheering for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad