who else here thinks that...(06 draft related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DeuceUNO said:
...that Peter Meuller could be picked 1st overall?

It's possible, although I maintain that for that (or Frolik, Toews, etc) to occur, Phil Kessel will have to be an absolute bust at Minnesota this season, and I don't see that happening. Kessel might not end up the best player out of the 2006 draft class (although I believe he will), but IMO he's a virtual lock to be the number 1 overall pick. Mueller is an elite talent who I see going top five. Here's who I would have top five:

1) Kessel
2) Frolik
3) Mueller
4) Toews
5) Erik Johnson

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
AnThGrt said:
I think Frolik can and should be #1

Why? He doesn't have anything on Kessel except for "defensive awareness" (overrated at that age) and has been dominated by Kessel in head-to-head competition. Shoot, Frolik isn't even that much bigger than Kessel, if at all.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
AnThGrt said:
I think Frolik can and should be #1

Based on what? Weren't you the guy who thought Rask should have gone in the 2nd overall this year? Do you just arbitrarily pick a name you like or have you actually seen him play?

Not saying you are wrong, but I want to know if there is any more credibility to this claim than your previous ones.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Le Golie said:
Based on what? Weren't you the guy who thought Rask should have gone in the 2nd overall this year? Do you just arbitrarily pick a name you like or have you actually seen him play?

Not saying you are wrong, but I want to know if there is any more credibility to this claim than your previous ones.
*** Rask #2 what are you smoking obviously you have the wrong person and before you make assesments why not do your research seriously thats insulting to me. Dont put words in others mouths thats complete BS i think Rask will be better then Price yes but i didnt have either in the top 10 except Rask once or twice #9 or #10. That being said yes i have seen several of these players - Once again dont go saying things without researching i dont need to be insulted openly on this board

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
AnThGrt said:
*** Rask #2 what are you smoking obviously you have the wrong person and before you make assesments why not do your research seriously thats insulting to me. Dont put words in others mouths thats complete BS i think Rask will be better then Price yes but i didnt have either in the top 10 except Rask once or twice #9 or #10. That being said yes i have seen several of these players - Once again dont go saying things without researching i dont need to be insulted openly on this board

:biglaugh:

You should overreact more, it's good for your blood pressure. Maybe you are the wrong guy, if so sorry. If not, not sorry. Like I said in the post you got so insulted by - I was just wondering what you based your opinion on. No need to snap.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think whoever if anyone unseats Kessel as number one they will have to one great year. Better then expected. Kessel put up significantly better numbers then Mueller for the u18 team. Kessel has allready established himself in internatioal play as well.

Mueller has the size and leadership over Kessel though. But he has to be able to at least come close in points. With the new open ice NHL. A speedster with a hard shot will be hard to pass up.

Mueller is in a good place. A smaller rink and a physical game. I think he should dominate this year. And really show off his talents. Too bad Kessel will be on olympic ice and on a team that likes to play lots of offense.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Ive seen both Kessel and Frolik play several times.

At the WJCs both were outstanding for their age skillwise but I'd give the edge to Frolik there because he's 6 months younger, bigger and more well-rounded. However, at the last U18s Kessel was more dominant to be sure so that puts him in the #1 position now. But Frolik is not that far behind. It's not nearly as clear cut at this point as last year's draft.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
I could really see a team taking sniper Johnny Toews, or Eric Johnson with the first overall pick if they are really in need of a top d man, it is a long shot but I could see one of those two going first, it would take something really out of the ordinary for Kessel to lose that #1 spot

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
steblick said:
Ive seen both Kessel and Frolik play several times.

At the WJCs both were outstanding for their age skillwise but I'd give the edge to Frolik there because he's 6 months younger, bigger and more well-rounded. However, at the last U18s Kessel was more dominant to be sure so that puts him in the #1 position now. But Frolik is not that far behind. It's not nearly as clear cut at this point as last year's draft.

I suppose, although every report I've seen has Kessel firmly entrenched in the number 1 position. That could change but is IMO very unlikely. Yeah, Frolik is more well-rounded, but he simply not as dynamic as Kessel, and with the way the league is going, Kessel (along with Crosby) is what the leagues wants as the face to represent it. The fact that Kessel is an American is also going to help him. I know many don't subscribe to that theory, but I think it will play a part.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I suppose, although every report I've seen has Kessel firmly entrenched in the number 1 position. That could change but is IMO very unlikely. Yeah, Frolik is more well-rounded, but he simply not as dynamic as Kessel, and with the way the league is going, Kessel (along with Crosby) is what the leagues wants as the face to represent it. The fact that Kessel is an American is also going to help him. I know many don't subscribe to that theory, but I think it will play a part.

Well, none of McKeen's, ISS, Young Guns or CSB has a ranking out yet (although ISS had a projection in June), so it's hard to make a claim about "the reports" yet. But for the record, below is a quote from Redline from The Sportsnet site:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp;jsessionid=LFGMDJCCMHLD?content=20050909_143542_6448

"American centre Phil Kessel and Czech left winger Michael Frolik seem destined to wage a spirited horse race for the honour of being selected first overall at next summer's draft derby. Kessel has earned his designation as the pre-race favourite with a series of eye-popping performances on the international stage, including leading the States to a gold medal at the World Under-18 Championships last April as an underager. His blazing speed and quickness devastates defencemen and goalies alike, and he's a deadly natural sniper who can score in such a variety of ways.

Frolik, on the other hand, is more subtle, but no less dynamic in his own way. His uncanny anticipation and sense for the game make it seem as though he's always two steps ahead of the play, and his puck wizardry forces defenders to back off the blue line in fear".

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
steblick said:
Well, none of McKeen's, ISS, Young Guns or CSB has a ranking out yet (although ISS had a projection in June), so it's hard to make a claim about "the reports" yet. But for the record, below is a quote from Redline from The Sportsnet site:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp;jsessionid=LFGMDJCCMHLD?content=20050909_143542_6448

"American centre Phil Kessel and Czech left winger Michael Frolik seem destined to wage a spirited horse race for the honour of being selected first overall at next summer's draft derby. Kessel has earned his designation as the pre-race favourite with a series of eye-popping performances on the international stage, including leading the States to a gold medal at the World Under-18 Championships last April as an underager. His blazing speed and quickness devastates defencemen and goalies alike, and he's a deadly natural sniper who can score in such a variety of ways.

Frolik, on the other hand, is more subtle, but no less dynamic in his own way. His uncanny anticipation and sense for the game make it seem as though he's always two steps ahead of the play, and his puck wizardry forces defenders to back off the blue line in fear".

Fair points. A question though: Do you believe any of the scouting services will have Frolik over Kessel? I don't.

byeyimini

Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
Please compare

Rabid Ranger said:
It's possible, although I maintain that for that (or Frolik, Toews, etc) to occur, Phil Kessel will have to be an absolute bust at Minnesota this season, and I don't see that happening. Kessel might not end up the best player out of the 2006 draft class (although I believe he will), but IMO he's a virtual lock to be the number 1 overall pick. Mueller is an elite talent who I see going top five. Here's who I would have top five:

1) Kessel
2) Frolik
3) Mueller
4) Toews
5) Erik Johnson

Hi Rabid Ranger,

Could I trouble you and/or some of the other posters that have watched Frolik and Kessel to compare their abilities to some current NHL'ers ? For example, I thought I saw someone compare Kessel to Modano once. But in what way ? It helps me to get a better understanding of what a young player is like when I hear that they shoot like ???, skate like ???, have a mean streak like ???, are a leader like ???

Thanks !!

Transported Upstater

MN_Gopher said:
I think whoever if anyone unseats Kessel as number one they will have to one great year. Better then expected. Kessel put up significantly better numbers then Mueller for the u18 team. Kessel has allready established himself in internatioal play as well.

Mueller has the size and leadership over Kessel though. But he has to be able to at least come close in points. With the new open ice NHL. A speedster with a hard shot will be hard to pass up.

Mueller is in a good place. A smaller rink and a physical game. I think he should dominate this year. And really show off his talents. Too bad Kessel will be on olympic ice and on a team that likes to play lots of offense.

Kessel's choice of UMinn I believe was good for his future, one of the NCAA teams that tries to outscore you... I'm a Cornell alum, and we 110% live and die with our back end...

The NCAA and CHL share one similarity: Styles of respective teams in the leagues can vary tremendously.

Transported Upstater

byeyimini said:
Hi Rabid Ranger,

Could I trouble you and/or some of the other posters that have watched Frolik and Kessel to compare their abilities to some current NHL'ers ? For example, I thought I saw someone compare Kessel to Modano once. But in what way ? It helps me to get a better understanding of what a young player is like when I hear that they shoot like ???, skate like ???, have a mean streak like ???, are a leader like ???

Thanks !!

Kessel is similar to Modano in some ways. Kessel's calling cards to me are his skating and shot. He has terrific hands and fabulous accuracy with his shot. He can bury it from virtually any distance, angle or range. And if you are behind him, you can basically forget about catching him legally...

He's a joy to watch. And I think he'd make a fine RW opposite Ovechkin, being centered by Sidney Crosby, in the "All-World-Prospect" line...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I saw Mueller play tonight against Tri City, wasn't impressed with him although he did score a goal, he was stopped on a PS by Price. I was very impressed with Hamill although he's lacking in size, looked sharp and created a lot of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad