Who DON'T you want your team to select?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Esposito and, at the risk of getting a lot of flak, Kane. I'm just not as high on him as others are.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Esposito and, at the risk of getting a lot of flak, Kane. I'm just not as high on him as others are.

No flak from me, and unfortunaley I've only seen Kane a handful of times - but it's enough for me to boast him. His performance at the WJC's was eye-opening to me, I thought he was the best individual player in the tourney.

I'd take him, but I'm not sure I would take him at #1 if available...

fighterflea1*

"Plenty can be said about who one wants their team to draft this coming June. So who is the player you desperately want your team to stay away from?"

I started this same thread today on a separate Flyers board, orangeandblack.net

I quickly came to the realization that it isn't so much who your team should stay away from but who is too risky to select high in the draft.

For example, I would be delighted and more than surprised if Esposito were available when the Flyers get their second first round selection around #23. Esposito would be a good pick here and probably anywhere from #12 on. Wouldn't touch him with the Flyers other first round selection, the #2 overall pick however, too risky and he suffers in comparison with other available players.

Another example, guys like Akim Aliu and Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i - different personalities but both lack well-rounded games and have issues regarding coachability. Would the Flyers do well picking either in the first round? I say no, they can do better. Flyers have swapped their second round pick but if either Aliu or :eek::eek::eek::eek:i were around at the beginning of the third round I would accept the risk and go for the talent.

Who's an example of a player you wouldn't want at all? After thinking a bit, I happened on a guy who had a cup of coffee with the Flyers and a few other teams: Billy Tibbetts. He's waste of a roster spot and not worth it anywhere in the draft. Can't think of anyone else in the risk/reward game that is hockey drafting.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I understand what you mean, FighterFlea. You were right with the first part of your response... I'm lookin more at the players that will certainly be drafted, especially in the first few rounds that you don't want to see your team pick.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
No flak from me, and unfortunaley I've only seen Kane a handful of times - but it's enough for me to boast him. His performance at the WJC's was eye-opening to me, I thought he was the best individual player in the tourney.

I'd take him, but I'm not sure I would take him at #1 if available...

I only saw a couple games from him, and there's no doubt of his individual talent. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see that spark of a little guy playing with a big heart when I did see him. I just question that translation to the NHL level.

Unfortunately, being stuck in San Diego limits my chances to view ANY players, so I can't really say who I want the Kings to draft based on players I've seen.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
For the habs Gillies and Suter..we have enough grinders who cant score

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm not too high on Hamill, I'm afraid Mueller might have helped him quite a bit with his point production. I could be wrong though.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'm not too high on Hamill, I'm afraid Mueller might have helped him quite a bit with his point production. I could be wrong though.

Again I will attempt in vain to stick up for Hamill, in spite of the fact that he is a cross-state rival of ours.

I don't think Mueller had all that much to do with Hamill's production, he was the best offensive player on that Everett team when he stepped into the league, that is until Mueller came along. Zach Hamill may not be a physical player in any way shape or form, but he does offer a very interesting skill set combined with more than enough defensive capabilities to make him a top 6 NHL forward. I would put him in the same bracket as perhaps a Michael Nylander; maybe not the best centerman in the league, but a guy that you can send out on your power play that can get the job done. I would feel 100% safe in selecting him anywhere after #20 in the upcoming draft, and put him on a line with a big, talented forward, just like Kevin Constantine has done with Kyle Beach.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
i do not want detroit to pick a defenemen. We have yet to pick a forward in the first round if over 10 years... probably closer to 15...

Wow, you're right. I thought you were just exaggerating, but the last time they took a forward with their first round pick was Curtis Bowen in 1992!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad