• Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 53 17.7%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.7%

• Total voters

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The fact you think Lindstrom has "hands of stone" just shows how piss-poor your analysis is. He's not the type of player who dekes out opponents, but his puck handling is pretty tight and not a net negative. He uses his stickhandling pretty much only to create separation to shield the puck with his body. Maybe that's why you think he has stone hands and you're used to the flashy dekes à la Berkly Catton.

There's a difference between dangling through players and puck handling. You can be decent at the latter without doing the former.
For a potential top 5 pick forward, his puck handling is very mediocre, it’s comparable to Reinbacher last year who’s a two dman lol

If he’s getting around anybody it’ll be with pure strength but that’ll be harder in the NHL. I think he ends up a power shooter in the NHL, pretty one dimensional offensively but with the added bonus of size and physicality.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Chicago's debate is Levshunov vs Demidov

If they go Demidov then Anaheim is taking Levshunov.

If they take Levshunov then I don't know what Anaheim would do.

Columbus really holds the keys to our draft.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Based on OP premiss, i'd go with Iginla, Catton and Sennecke in that order.

But i'm pretty sure 1 of Demidov or Lindstrom will be there. 2 of Levshunov/Buium/Silayev will be draft top 4. There might be an outside chance we can choose between Demidov and Lindstrom.

Reactions: Simarino

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Demidov, Lindstrom or Tij. No need to overcomplicate it.

But gotta be honest, if Lindstrom and Demidov are gone at 5, strong and real possibility we go with a D and it's perfectly fine. Tough to justify passing on Levshunov especially.

Pretty much what Hughes said. They're going with a forward unless there is a RD in a higher tier than the available forwards. That looks exactly like a scenario where Demidov & Lindstrom are off the board and Levshunov available.​

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
Take the BPA no matter what! We have pick Carey Price with a Hart/Vezina winner in the net with a lack of a true #1 center since a decade and it was the best thing that happen to this organisation since Koivu in the first round; HM to Slaf.

If they pick only 1 d-man in the top 4, this guy will be a d-man at the rank we pick if no "surprise" in the Top 4. Let's the scout do their job, they have a good eye since 2 years, not perfect but a lot better than it was and don't put yourself in a corner!

I would pick a effective d-man who can play 24 minutes every night before a forward of 50-60 points. I have no issue if they pick a LD like Dickinson or Buium because he will become your best prospect at this position and we never have too much of good players!

I don't say to not take a forward, I want a forward, Demidov or Lindstrom; HM to Catton, but I want the better player we can add to built the team the right way and not taking a forward for the pleasure of taking one. You pick the player you think he will help you the must going forward! The scout know better than me who to pick to realise that and for the first time since Serge Savard I believe this staff will do everything they can to win the next Stanley Cup in Montréal and that start by not being dumb at the draft table!

I think we overestimate way too much your D prospect; quantity doesn't mean quality.

Guhle and Xhekaj are injury prone! One can play 22-24 minutes every night on the top 2 but he can't play 20 games in a row and the other is a heavyweight fighter but when he fight he injure is shoulder close to each time. I was probably the highest lover of Hutson here, the potential to be a factory points who make everyone around him better, but with lot of issue, the defensive side and his size issue can be something he will have difficulty to deal with it. Struble give me the De La Rose vibe, after 15 games I think he would play 1000 NHL games, impress by his maturity at the start but the more he play the more we saw is limitation! Harris is good at everything but not great, very good mobility but he would pay because of that; the others have a "special" talent not him. The only other one valuable for me was Engstrom, I like him a lot!

With Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris and Struble in the lineup, we can't manage to keep an advance of 1-2-3 goals and we give 25 scoring chance each games, your goalies need to goal on their heads all the time to be competitive.

I know they are young and not a finish product but to hope they become a shutdown D able to win the Stanley Cup is a freakin gap aka a dream! For me, Struble is the next Romanov who will be dealt for another assets where we have some flaws because I can't see Struble/Xhekaj in the lineup at the same time in a couple years and with the prospect we have a choice will need to be made and for me even if it's an untapped potential if I need to make a choice between the 2, I keep Xhekaj because of his unicorn package and I hope for the best!

For the RD, I'm not sold at all with what we have. I like Reinbacher but he need some time before knowing what we really have and I hope he will be able to manage to play in Montreal, he seem concerned about what the people said on him way too much! Mailloux and Barron are not my kind of d-man at all, an offensive d-man need to make people around there better for me it's the first requirements and this 2 guy just don't have it. They are better "individually" than a team game and a d-man who score has much as he pass it's a big red flag for me! They produce because of their tools, shots, mobility, strength etc... but not their hockey sense primarly; A la Subban, not Markov and they are not good enough offensively for what they bring in the defensive side to compensate! I like a lot Kornyushkov but I doubt he will came here at some point and he has rejected a trade to stay with his team in the KHL; it will be very hard to have him in Montreal without doing some miracle!

In my thought, we have Guhle-Hutson-Xhekaj-Engstrom-Reinbacher-Kornyushkov has really interesting prospect at D; HM to Mailloux but I still don't like him, give his tools to Hutson and it will be a 6 times Norris winner before the end of his career but not Mailloux.

I would be ready to listen for everyone outside of this top 6 to manage to bring something who can help us. I don't think we have the foundation yet for the next Stanley Cup with the defensive prospect we have without being bad at all and if they thought the right choice was to pick a d-man, even a LD, just do it!

Remember the 2017 Draft! Nolan Patrick, Nico Hischier, Cale Makar, Miro Heiskanen! The right choice was the d-man and we need to pick the right guy more than the right position ...

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I have Lindstrom and Catton pretty much tied on my list, above Sennecke. Iginla above Helenius.

I think Columbus takes Lindstrom if he's there. I think 2/3 end up being dmen including Buium in there as a shocker.

Well now that somebody mentioned that he's a SoCal kid (Maybe it was WTK), I can really see a fit there....

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
If the top-4 picks are Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, and Lindstrom. What does everyone think the Habs do at 5?
I'd guess they go Iginla or Sennecke. I'd want them to trade down for Catton but I think it's unlikely they do.

Look to trade down otherwise they'll stick and pick either Iginla or Sennecke
Beat me to it by a second

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
With respect to the question, Demidov and Lindstrom are off the board so who would I take.....

Iggy

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
There’s no option to trade the pick lol not that I would

With respect to the question, Demidov and Lindstrom are off the board so who would I take.....

Iggy
Isn’t Lindstrom projected at 5? Based on elite prospects

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Lindstrom is a skilled player but mainly he is a 6'4 center who plays like he's 6'4.
Well now that somebody mentioned that he's a SoCal kid (Maybe it was WTK), I can really see a fit there....
I think if Anaheim sets his eyes on Buium, they'de probably be open to trade picks with us.

3OA for 5OA + Winnipeg's pick/prospect

Habs leap frog Columbus and take Demidov or Lindstrom. And Anaheim can still draft Buium at 5OA.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Why trade Jackeye? To become even softer? We saw how that team got thrown around without X in the lineup last year.
People need to realize a lot of D men will have to be traded.

Even disregarding Savard who will become UFA next year our D chart is (in no particular order):
Matheson
Ghule
Xhekaj
Struble
Harris
Kovacevic
Hutson
Mailloux
Engstrom
Reinbacher
Barron
Konyushkov

That is 12 D-man if i am not forgetting anyone... we have only place for 6 in MTL. I understand not everyone will make it but there could also be a surprise prospect I haven't named as well. Also it's not as if we wouldn't draft additional D-man in the next 10 years.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Same story yearly. Just pick BPA. That might be a cliche, sounds boring but it holds true. Just pick the player they think will have the best chance of becoming a star regardless of position, handiness. If that happens to be a LD like Dickenson or Buium, so be it. Worry about needs later with trades.

Their best picks Price, Sergachev, Mcdonagh, Caufield, Guhle were all based on BPA. Based on needs, we would have ended up with Marc Staal, Tyson Jost/Logan Brown, Harley/Heinola, Hendrix Lapierre, Mercer etc. Colorado in 2013 picked Mack despite having Duchene, Oreilly, Statsny and Seth Jones was the number 1 ranked prospect. What would have happened had they picked Jones instead of Mack? If the Habs reach for a forward and he becomes an average player and one of the D after becomes a superstar, we'll be screwed in the a** again.
Based on needs we would have ended up with Kopitar, Sergachev (we had no one but Markov), Caufield (had no goal scorers except Gallagher lol), Mercer (would have been fine with it although I wanted Bourque).

Thing with this draft is there is no clear BPA beyond the first two picks. If you ask me who's BPA at 3 it's Catton. Ask someone else it's Lindstrom. Ask someone else it's Helenius. Ask someone else it's Levshunov, or Buium, or Dickinson, or Parekh, or Silayev, or Sennecke, or Iginla, etc.

You could make an argument for any of them being BPA at that point, and I'd see the logic in each of them. Once BPA gets that obfuscated you start to look at your competitive window and what would be the best fit for your team. We are currently a one line team with a high potential but injury prone 2nd line C, a barren prospect cupboard as far as top 6 forwards go (Roy is the only one who debatably has that potential), and d prospects coming out of our wiener.

So they'll determine which forward is BPA at 5 and we just gotta hope they were right.

If we're looking for a player to poop in Anderson's bag he's our guy.

Reactions: Fenris

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
5'11 179 lbs? He's a bum.
6'0 180 lbs? He's a stud.
:sarcasm:
Gotta look at the frame, now I haven’t seen Catton in boxers but he just comes across as a skinny kid with a frail frame with not much room for growth. If someone knows different and could enlighten us with some good news on the matter I’m all ears!!

Demidov and Iginla look like they can play at 190-195lbs, again, I could be wrong but with very little information, it’s what I see when I look at them

Reactions: Leto

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Does 5+Mailloux+Avs second get us in Demidov territory? Anaheim would get a RD+whoever is at 5.
I doubt it would even cost that much in all honesty. If Anaheim is offering a trade back it's because they know they can get their guy (who I suspect would be Buium or even Yakemchuk) at 5. I think 5+Barron+our 3rd could probably do it if Chicago goes Levshunov.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Gotta look at the frame, now I haven’t seen Catton in boxers but he just comes across as a skinny kid with a frail frame with not much room for growth. If someone knows different and could enlighten us with some good news on the matter I’m all ears!!

Demidov and Iginla look like they can play at 190-195lbs, again, I could be wrong but with very little information, it’s what I see when I look at them
I mean Catton and Helenius are inch for inch and pound for pound the same as far as I'm aware. Both 5'11", ~175.

He's not gonna be Suzuki stocky but he'll be fine at the next level. Hell, he's bigger than Demidov as far as we're aware.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Parekh would be a problem, you'd be putting Hutson or Parekh off powerplay 1 then you'd have to trade Mailloux because he wouldn't make either unit.

Maillouxs value is higher with the Habs then trading him because there's still gonna be the past dredged up with the new team if he's acquired.

Dickinson is off the board they aren't taking a left shot defenseman. They love who they have there. They consider it already over saturated.

I know people's philosophies differentiate from the teams but Hughes can't be more clearer that they aren't taking a left shot defenseman.

The Penguins already had Letang and they went out and got Erik Karlsson. You can have more than one PP QB.

Is Mailloux even a pp qb, or is he more of a shooter, in particular his snapper from the top of the circle/half wall?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

The frame on said player is so key and it's discouraging how often it gets overlooked. It's like with Guhle and some folks saying.....hit the gym and throw on 15lbs. He just doesn't have the body type to do that over the course of a summer as it would drastically affect how he plays the game. Can he add weight/muscle, absolutely, but it will take some time.

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad