Who do the habs match-up the best against?

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
The isles are hot no doubt, but I think in a series, we'd win more easily than against the leafs.

Ott is so unpredictable and strong + Karlsson & Spezza & Michalek are coming back...no thanks!

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Logically speaking I'd say the Islanders based on their team on paper but this year other than that one game we cameback in the third to win, our defense has been complete garbage against them. They have no solution to shutting down Tavares & Moulson and our PK struggles against their defensemen who are good puck-movers (Streit, Hamonic and Visnovsky). Ottawa hasn't been healthy all season long and they've been competitive in 95% of the games they've played (mainly due to incredible goaltending from all of their goalies: Anderson, Lehner and Bishop). The possibility of them getting Karlsson in time for the playoffs makes it a big NO from me. Which leaves us to the Leafs, I think that they have a good system and kinda like us they have no game breaking talent, just a lot of depth. Their defense is in a better shape than ours right now but I prefer our offense a whole lot compared to theirs. Players like Grabovski and MacArthur don't seem to be a good fit under Carlyle and some players are overachieving for them (Kadri & Lupul when's he healthy). I feel like a series against them would be similar to what we had to go through with Boston in 2011 but Boston was a much better team in terms of talent and depth. I think Toronto is the easier match up but with our line-up, our forwards and defensemen will be tired after a 7 game series with them and if we play the Bruins in the 2nd, we have close to no chance in winning a series against them after taking so much abuse against the Leafs.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Our best matchup of all isn't even listed: The Rangers, we've had their number all year round.

Of the three listed I think Ottawa is the least scary, but Karlsson might be back for the first round and that changes things around. I don't want the Habs to face the Islanders at all, they've been in beast mode every game we faced them and I have mixed feelings about the Leafs, it could go either way.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Our best matchup of all isn't even listed: The Rangers, we've had their number all year round.

Of the three listed I think Ottawa is the least scary, but Karlsson might be back for the first round and that changes things around. I don't want the Habs to face the Islanders at all, they've been in beast mode every game we faced them and I have mixed feelings about the Leafs, it could go either way.

there's a 12% chance as of right now to play the rangers, which seemed a little high to me, but I did not include them because I think they are trying to fend off winnipeg for 8th. They could move up, but I dont think its very likely. This means that they will most likely face the penguins if they make it.

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Yup, and I have a feeling were going to play them in the 1st round. At least the travelling won't be that bad

An Ott/Mtl series is intriguing because I can go watch games in both buildings which is a unique situation. Senators tickets might even be cheaper.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Don't want anything to do with an emotional matchup in the first round. With the framework our team is built around, we'd be gassed by the 2nd round.

The Islanders would not be an easy prey, but I don't want anything to do with the Leafs right now. We'd lose that series, our guys just refuse to take this team seriously, and that's too bad.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Don't want anything to do with an emotional matchup in the first round. With the framework our team is built around, we'd be gassed by the 2nd round.

The Islanders would not be an easy prey, but I don't want anything to do with the Leafs right now. We'd lose that series, our guys just refuse to take this team seriously, and that's too bad.

There might be something to that. Look at the flyers last year. Then again, it didn't seem to hurt boston in 2011

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Anybody thought of the Rangers, or, even more remote, the JEts?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Since the Leafs and Isles gave us trouble, more than the Sens, I'll go with Ottawa. Whatever team we face, we better get our **** together before or it won't make much of a difference who our opponents will be.

Karlsson might be back.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
With the islanders only having 1 loss in their last 10 games, and the sens winning 4 in a row, while the leafs have lost 2 in a row, 5th place is very cloudy all of a sudden.

Its starting to look like the bruins and habs will battle for 2nd and 4th (barring a big collapse), while the isles, sens, and leafs all have a legitimate shot at 5th.

So which match-up gives the habs the best chance to advance, based on what you've seen this season?

Either way, its shaping up to be a dramatic stretch drive with so many possibilities.

Isles. And then Laffs. Ottawa is scary if Karl is back.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Whoever they face, all they need is 3 pts in 4 games to win home-ice and that's if the Leafs win all their remaining 4 games.

You are correct.

The Isles are a better matchup... We need to play HARD on Tavares and we will win. And not be undisciplined. Hopefully Therrien gets Plekanec and Subban on the ice VS JT. (Lol, won't happen....)

That is why we need home ice to start. Last change is ours first 2 games. Very important.

I hope we play the laffs. Since I don't think we have a legitimate chance at the cup this year, I'd rather we have a tough 7 game series with a hot Toronto team. Set the foundation for Gal, Chuckie, PK, MaxPac, Eller, Price to take over as the unquestioned leaders of the team.

I admire your cajones. Good old fashioned Habs fan let them play the toughest opponent. I like that. Too much scaredy cat attitude here, including from me!

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I honestly hope they play the Leafs. Time to face their "fears" and see what they're made of.

The Leafs have a garbage defence corps and mediocre goaltending to go along with a group of soft top six forwards. Carlyle has done a great job but the Leafs are exactly the type of team that gets exposed in the playoffs.

We had a couple of brutal goaltending displays against them this season but have taken the play to them for the majority of each game.

Give me the Leafs!

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
the best thing that could happen is if we face the Rangers. even if they've made a few changes since we've last met them, we've had nothing but great success against them.

if not, it's obviously the Isles. i'm sure most will want to avoid the Leafs, but the Sens could be a bigger threat. all the Leafs do is hit and give away the puck. we've had bad luck against them, but we've always dominated in shots.

also, the Leafs have very little playoff experience among their players.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
the best thing that could happen is if we face the Rangers. even if they've made a few changes since we've last met them, we've had nothing but great success against them.

if not, it's obviously the Isles. i'm sure most will want to avoid the Leafs, but the Sens could be a bigger threat. all the Leafs do is hit and give away the puck. we've had bad luck against them, but we've always dominated in shots.

also, the Leafs have very little playoff experience among their players.

Toronto only gets their hits from the 4th line and bottom pairing d-men. Unless they will be throwing hits from the bench there really isn't much to worry about. They are actually a pretty wimpy team when you remove the goons who won't see the ice much in the playoffs.

vik352

May 10, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Toronto fans seem to think MTL is the easiest matchup for them out of all the eastern conference and that they'll just walk over us. Even in the blowouts we've outshot them (had over 37 shots in every game) and even if we lost by a margin, I think they didn't dominate us in those games. We had the puck for most of the game, they simply were more opportunist.
Their team is slow, our guys can control the pace of the game and fly around them. As others said, their D is also very questionable and despite all the toughness they are trying to sell, they have lots of soft forwards (who appears to be their top 6)
And really is anyone scared of James Reimer? When the kid experience a playoff game in montreal we'll show what he's made of. Remember how Chara played at his worst in the Bell Centre when getting booed. Sure the same with happen to Reimer.
Bring me the Leafs to shut these kids down. 1st playoff series in almost 10 years and they are already getting way too cocky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad