Who bombs in the first round?

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I won't say "no chance", because we've all seen crazy things happen in the first round of the playoffs, but I have a hard time believing that the Oilers couldn't win a game against either LA or Vegas in the playoffs this year, when they have the best team they've had in the current era. I think some fans are really underestimating the Oilers depth.

This. There is so much parity right now, that I think the only teams that could really be accused of bombing or choking if they don't win in the first round are the Rangers, Hurricanes, and Stars. I don't think any of the other series' are so lopsided that choking/bombing really comes into it.

LA oilers win maybe in 6. But they are playing Vegas and Vegas is healthy. They will sweep anyone they play in the first round

Reactions: MrvJets

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
The Rangers underlying numbers are just not impressive, so I'm going to go with them. Then again, with their goaltending and the finishing ability some of their guys got, I could be seriously wrong. But if I had to predict, it would be them

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
The only two teams that i feel should have an easy first round is rangers & hurricanes. If either of them lose i'd consider that a choke.

Reactions: Eegs and yada

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The only two teams that i feel should have an easy first round is rangers & hurricanes. If either of them lose i'd consider that a choke.
The Islanders seem like they never make things easy, tbh. Agree it's basically those 2 teams though, even if it might not necessarily be "easy" for Carolina.

Everything else is a coin flip, even the yet-undetermined series in the west.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As an Oiler fan--if we face the Knights we are screwed but any team who faces them in the first round is screwed, Unless the Knights start getting injured (as we know they only get injured in regular season and never in the playoffs) they will win most series in 5 or 6 games

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
LA oilers win maybe in 6. But they are playing Vegas and Vegas is healthy. They will sweep anyone they play in the first round
"Healthy", but their goalies haven't been playing anywhere near what Hill did last year, and their team hasn't even played together yet. They could be open to weak start to the playoffs. And then again, maybe not, crazy things happen in the playoffs all the time. You should member that when making such crazy, bold predictions. They are playing on of Edmonton or Dallas. Neither team is a pushover, and are both better than the teams they had a year ago. Are you wanting to go out on a limb and suggest that Vegas is just as good as they were when they won it all?

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I don't know if it'd be considered a bomb because of how their season series went, but I can see the Jets laying waste to the Avs.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
The Rangers underlying numbers are just not impressive, so I'm going to go with them. Then again, with their goaltending and the finishing ability some of their guys got, I could be seriously wrong. But if I had to predict, it would be them
If I'm not mistaken they have the worst 5 v 5 offense in the NHL and managed to be +1 in 5 v 5 play.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Hard to bomb when they're not even going to be considered the favorite in their series.
I don't think it's about being favored or not. It's just about bombing from the perspective of the expectations from the fanbase and media.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Every team that I hate.

For real though, not many upsets to be had.
Bombing means choking to a lesser team, no?
This is a crazy year to me. I would be shocked if NYI or WAS won the Cup, but wouldn't be surprised if any of the other teams did. I can't ever remember a year like that where there were 14 teams that I could build a fairly legitimate set of circumstances where they could legitimately win the Cup.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There's so much parity in the league that I wouldn't be shocked by any team losing in Round 1. There are some teams I don't think can go all the way and win the Cup, but there's not a single team that made the playoffs that I'd be shocked if they won a round.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Bigger possible surprises: any sweep other than Rangers or Oilers sweeping, WSH over NYR, LAK over EDM. A bit smaller possible surprises: NYI over CAR, NSH over VAN. Any other outcome from any of the pairs I wouldn't really see as someone bombing.

Which one of those possible surprise results would I pick then? NSH over VAN is where I put a little bit of money just because of the odds.

So I say The Canucks will bomb.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I don't think it's about being favored or not. It's just about bombing from the perspective of the expectations from the fanbase and media.
I don't think most fans or media expected the Leafs to beat the Bruins or the Panthers this year tbh.

If I'm not mistaken they have the worst 5 v 5 offense in the NHL and managed to be +1 in 5 v 5 play.
Wait, the Rangers have a +53 differential but are only +1 5 on 5? That seems insane.

edit: 166 goals for and 165 goals against 5 on 5. That's nuts.

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Probably the Bruins.
I don't think most fans or media expected the Leafs to beat the Bruins or the Panthers this year tbh.

Wait, the Rangers have a +53 differential but are only +1 5 on 5? That seems insane.

edit: 166 goals for and 165 goals against 5 on 5. That's nuts.
A lot of people on HF didn't even have the Bruins making the playoffs after Bergeron and Krejci departed. . . I don't know about the Canadian media but I remember this place last offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad