Who bombs in the first round?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Their PDO is high, but Boston's stats are much worse for a high PDO team, they're a much better example of a PDO paper tiger.

The team's high PDO in the fall was influenced by a lot of very early blowouts on bad teams while their losses were extremely close. Teams aren't bad because their PDO is high, good teams score a lot and don't let in a lot of goals. Their PDO has fallen a lot since then as the team settled into a normal play pattern. Nobody thought 6-0 wins were the norm.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Their PDO is high, but Boston's stats are much worse for a high PDO team, they're a much better example of a PDO paper tiger.

The team's high PDO in the fall was influenced by a lot of very early blowouts on bad teams while their losses were extremely close. Teams aren't bad because their PDO is high, good teams score a lot and don't let in a lot of goals. Their PDO has fallen a lot since then as the team settled into a normal play pattern. Nobody thought 6-0 wins were the norm.

I know what PDO is. I also know how to spot a team producing over their heads.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I know what PDO is. I also know how to spot a team producing over their heads.

That's fine, they definitely overperformed early and suffered late due to injuries and I don't think by any means that the Preds will be a walk in the park for the Canucks, but if you're looking for PDO paper tigers, the Bruins are a much better example. The Canucks hover around 10th xG, corsi, fenwick, etc.

18th in xG, 24th in Corsi and Fenwick, essentially tied for 1st in PDO against a Leafs team who has had fairly good stats all year.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Bruins have an ugly recent record in the first round.

still surprised they've done this well w/ Zacha, Coyle, Geekie, Frederic, and Boqvist as their centers.
I wouldn't be shocked if their centers fail in the playoffs

one thing I would note, BOS vs TO's h2h record this season is meaningless given that all 4 games went to OT/SO, if people are using this as a sample for things to come in the playoffs, I wouldn't be too sure

it's not a slam dunk win for the Bruins as some expect

Last edited:
Reactions: ManofSteel55

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Jets. I hope I'm wrong but I have a hunch they won't show up.

I'd say the contrary is true. Why would the Sens live rent free in anyone's head? How are they relevant? They haven't done sh*t since Karlsson and useless his wife ran Hoffman out of town (the sign of a true captain). Then again, Tkachuk is no better. He possesses zero leadership and would be a third liner on a contending team if he's lucky.

The Sens are a f***ing joke. Their major accomplishment this season? Morgan Rielly's suspension. We look forward to another summer of chest pumping about "how the Sens are turning the corner".
For a team that you think is irrelevant and you claim you don't care about, you sure talk about the Sens and their players a lot.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
still surprised they've done this well w/ Zacha, Coyle, Geekie, Frederic, and Boqvist as their centers.

one thing I would note, BOS vs TO's h2h record this season is meaningless given that all 4 games went to OT/SO, if people are using this as a sample for things to come in the playoffs, I wouldn't be too sure

I think the bruins holes in offense match the leafs holes in defense and goal tending. Think this is 7 games and a toss up. The bruins are playing with house money this year, I certainly didn’t think they’d be as efficient as they’ve been this year but they still have some huge gaps in their game.

Reactions: Olliemets

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York

Didn’t only 2 games go to OT, Leafs got beaten 4-1 in the other 2.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
For the uneducated viewers reading this, “VP-level” in the finance world is equivalent to a “Team Lead” or MAYBE “Manager” title in other industries. Good for you, but not overly impressive.

Well, the organisation I am restructuring, on behalf of my employer, has me overseeing an operations team of over 2200 across EMEA. So, I'd like to think I earned the "Manager" title by now...

I didn't say I worked in financial services or finance... I work for a top private equity firm - specifically in distressed assets.

We were talking about M&A which generally doesn't have the over inflated job-titles you were referring to. So I guess you could count yourself amongst the uneducated.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Every team that I hate.

For real though, not many upsets to be had.
Bombing means choking to a lesser team, no?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Both the oilers and the leafs bomb out in the 1st round. Oilers out in 4 and Leafs in 6
I won't say "no chance", because we've all seen crazy things happen in the first round of the playoffs, but I have a hard time believing that the Oilers couldn't win a game against either LA or Vegas in the playoffs this year, when they have the best team they've had in the current era. I think some fans are really underestimating the Oilers depth.

Every team that I hate.

For real though, not many upsets to be had.
Bombing means choking to a lesser team, no?
This. There is so much parity right now, that I think the only teams that could really be accused of bombing or choking if they don't win in the first round are the Rangers, Hurricanes, and Stars. I don't think any of the other series' are so lopsided that choking/bombing really comes into it.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I was just talking with a work buddy about this. About how the Bruins look so good, until you realize that their centers are so weak. Then you see how Toronto could have an opening. I mean, I won't believe Toronto could be the Bruins in the playoffs until 5 minutes after it has happened, but this year is the year it could happen.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Well, the organisation I am restructuring, on behalf of my employer, has me overseeing an operations team of over 2200 across EMEA. So, I'd like to think I earned the "Manager" title by now...

I didn't say I worked in financial services or finance... I work for a top private equity firm - specifically in distressed assets.

We were talking about M&A which generally doesn't have the over inflated job-titles you were referring to. So I guess you could count yourself amongst the uneducated.
I actively work in M&A, but when working with funds it’s typically at the executive director or managing director level. The VPs are just there to show us a good time and order beers for us at the hockey game.

Congratulations for earning your manager title, I’m sure your vast operational experience will allow you to successfully restructure that organization on your own. Either that, or you’ll just be asking your corporate planning analyst for an updated quarterly valuation then sit silent in the board meeting until you think you can ask a question that you think makes you look smart in front of your boss. If you’re lucky, you might even get to hire McKinsey to tell you that accelerating cash flows is good for NPV!

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Jets. I hope I'm wrong but I have a hunch they won't show up.

For a team that you think is irrelevant and you claim you don't care about, you sure talk about the Sens and their players a lot.

You're wrong again. Nothing new there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad