Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
lol i love it!!!

as you all know i am pro player!!

Betmans proposal to vastly change the face of the nhl be redistributingplayers around theleague will forever change the teams you all root for!

Thats what yah get for supporting a anti-hockey weasle like betman :shakehead

===========================================================

52% support the owners

48 % the players or undecided

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=119106&page=1&pp=15

Last edited:

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
on his calls for cap, I can understand but his calls for little revenue sharing I don't. 75 million of the playoffs .. only 2.5 million per team!

Goodenow sayng they are offering things ... bullocks to that. They won't move toward a cap in any form, even if it is a high tax.

Basicly both sides are going nowhere!

NHLPA should take a cap only if there is strong revenue sharing.

Right now the cap is just for owners not the players or the fans.
NHLPA's offer is just for the players not the fans.

STRONG REVENUE sharing would be better for fans and player and most owners!

just think if each team made good money they could spend more on marketing and make the game so much better. If we had strong revenue sharing each team could max out their cap (tax rate) and still make money. while players will get their all the money they can. I vote for a 50% cut of all gate income (including box seats) and TV deals between between home and visiting teams.

Rich teams will still make the most money while poorer teams will make more money and be able to have some share cash to market their product better. In the long run everybody wil win.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
If the nhl puts forth one and final offer nxt week , the ''pa'' should be man enough to allow their 700+ members vote on it .

we keep hearing the same guys in the media (Linden,Guerin,Vinny D ,Alffie etc..)who support ol' Bob , but the minute anyone says anything about a cap not bein so bad (Thomas,Madden,Ribeiro,Dagenais etc..) they seem to retract it the next day .

be a man Bob , and let your 700 + members vote , not be dictated :madfire:

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
Isles72 said:
If the nhl puts forth one and final offer nxt week , the ''pa'' should be man enough to allow their 700+ members vote on it .

we keep hearing the same guys in the media (Linden,Guerin,Vinny D ,Alffie etc..)who support ol' Bob , but the minute anyone says anything about a cap not bein so bad (Thomas,Madden,Ribeiro,Dagenais etc..) they seem to retract it the next day .

oh come on! how many times has our governments made policies that no one liked .. and we did vote for them .. into power.

Bob was brought in place to be a rep for the players. I don't think he is doing the best job but he isn't being fool by these capitist owners who care little about the sport but only about lining their own pockets!

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
Steve L said:
He wont let them vote because theres a very good chance theyd accept a salary cap, then he would lose his job.

It isnt about the NHLPA or the players, its about Goodenows ego.

oh come on, the cap in it's current form is just bad! the cap will not help weak teams as they still can't afford the 35 million and make money. It is just for the rich team to make more money therefore drive up their market value.

Please look into the REVENUE SHARING they offered with the cap and then come back.

can a cap work without good revenue sharing ... no way but that is what these capitist pig owners have offered.

Can the NHL surive will a free market system with a low tax? no way but that is what these greedy players have offered.

basicly us fans are getting taken from beind from both the NHL and NHLPA

myrocketsgotcracked

jwr38 said:
oh come on! how many times has our governments made policies that no one liked .. and we did vote for them .. into power.

Bob was brought in place to be a rep for the players. I don't think he is doing the best job but he isn't being fool by these capitist owners who care little about the sport but only about lining their own pockets!

oh yea, and the same thing cant be said about the players? what did they do during this lockout that shows the care for the sport? what did they do during this lockout that shows they arent all about lining their own pocket? these guys who ask for "free-market", "dont restrict our salary", "pay us what you want to", etc, they arent capitalist? i dont mind people bashing the owners, they deserved it, but at least dont be b*tching about them doing one thing when the players are doing the same thing.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
A majority of the owners support "Betman" (sic), and that's the only poll that really matters.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
SuperKarateMonkey said:
oh yea, and the same thing cant be said about the players? what did they do during this lockout that shows the care for the sport? what did they do during this lockout that shows they arent all about lining their own pocket? these guys who ask for "free-market", "dont restrict our salary", "pay us what you want to", etc, they arent capitalist? i dont mind people bashing the owners, they deserved it, but at least dont be b*tching about them doing one thing when the players are doing the same thing.

look at my first post in this thread I clearly said that the players are looking after themselves and not the fans.

Look, I am just sick of all these pro-owners who just want a caop but have no idea that it does nothing to help the game. The only time a cap will work is if they have real revenue sharing plan.

the players asked for this but the owner don't want it. all the owner want is a cap nothing else. therefore the owner show less about the sport than the players.
what have the owners offered to HELP the game? A cap?? I think not. this cap will not help the poorer teams as they still will not have the cash for a 35 million payroll (their little revenue sharing plan does not help).

the players have offered to cut their wage, and a tax system. I would agree that the tax needs to be much higher though. In their first offer they asked for a good revenue sharing model but the owners said no way to that. NOw if the players offered a system of strong tax system and revenue sharing like the NFL then I think many of you wouldn't be on the owners side.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
jwr38 said:
look at my first post in this thread I clearly said that the players are looking after themselves and not the fans.

Look, I am just sick of all these pro-owners who just want a caop but have no idea that it does nothing to help the game. The only time a cap will work is if they have real revenue sharing plan.

the players asked for this but the owner don't want it. all the owner want is a cap nothing else. therefore the owner show less about the sport than the players.
what have the owners offered to HELP the game? A cap?? I think not. this cap will not help the poorer teams as they still will not have the cash for a 35 million payroll (their little revenue sharing plan does not help).

the players have offered to cut their wage, and a tax system. I would agree that the tax needs to be much higher though. In their first offer they asked for a good revenue sharing model but the owners said no way to that. NOw if the players offered a system of strong tax system and revenue sharing like the NFL then I think many of you wouldn't be on the owners side.

While I'm all for revenue sharing as a fan, the players are using the issue purely for misdirection. From a player's perspective, revenue sharing is irrelevant to the cap discussion. If a cap is established, the players will be guaranteed a certain percentage of all league revenues. Whether that revenue is shared or not shared does not affect the level of the cap.
The players know this and are trying to convince fans that they're opposing a cap not for their own financial good, but "for the good of the game". Please. Ask yourself this: if the NHL offered a NFL-style cap with NFL-style revenue sharing, would the players eagerly accept it?

Also, people have false ideas about NFL revenue sharing. Other than their national TV money, the NFL doesn't share all that much. In fact, the NBA shares far more than the NFL. It only appears that the NFL shares more because the TV contract is so huge. Outside the TV money, the NFL shares only 40 percent of their gate, licensing fees and national sponsorships. They don't share local sponsorships (including stadium naming rights), concessions, parkings, luxury suites and a whole host of other revenue streams.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Leaf Lander said:
lol i love it!!!

Betmans proposal to vastly change the face of the nhl be redistributingplayers around theleague will forever change the teams you all root for!

Goodenow underestimated the owners and Bettman. Bettman has been more than a match for Goodenow who miscalculated the resolve of the owners this time around and will cost his players almost everything he has gained in the past dozen years.

Bravo Bettman for showing strong leadership. I don't agree with everything he has done, said or proposed but he at least had the balls to stand up to that idiot running the NHLPA that actually thinks his name is GOD.

robcav

Mar 9, 2004
Revenue sharing in the NFL is at the level that the sharing itself pays for the teams salaries. The NHL wants no part of this what so ever. It was Bettman's way to get the large market owners to back him. Now without meaningful revenue sharing, how can a team which can't turn a profit at 20 million in payroll, turn a profit at a new higher salary floor. Could one of the pro-owner bunch please explain that to me.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
robcav said:
Revenue sharing in the NFL is at the level that the sharing itself pays for the teams salaries. The NHL wants no part of this what so ever. It was Bettman's way to get the large market owners to back him. Now without meaningful revenue sharing, how can a team which can't turn a profit at 20 million in payroll, turn a profit at a new higher salary floor. Could one of the pro-owner bunch please explain that to me.

Again, another person who fails to understand NFL revenue sharing. The NFL is able to share so much because of its gargantuan TV contract. The NHL does not have that luxury. Therefore, it is not possible for the NHL to share on the level of the NFL. Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?

If a team can't turn a profit in a capped system it shouldn't be in the league.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
CarlRacki said:
Again, another person who fails to understand NFL revenue sharing. The NFL is able to share so much because of its gargantuan TV contract. The NHL does not have that luxury. Therefore, it is not possible for the NHL to share on the level of the NFL. Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?

If a team can't turn a profit in a capped system it shouldn't be in the league.

You dodged his question though. He didn't ask if revenue sharing was feasible he asked how a team that lost money on a $20 million payroll can suddenly start to make money when their team suddenly gets more expensive by $12 million.

I don't think you could just brush it off as being more competitve is the answer. Every year somebody is going to finish last in the standings and somebody is going to finish last in attendance.

robcav

Mar 9, 2004
CarlRacki said:

Although the sums of incoming revenue are vastly different, why can't the percentage be the same. If the NFL shares it gate receipts 60/40 why does the NHL split 80/20.

The concept that you appear to be missing is that the NHL does not want to meaningfully share any revenue. Which is why the large market teams who are losing money hand over fist during this lockout are still in the owner's corner. When the league comes up with a plan that states that they envision revenue sharing from playoff money only. They create a circumstance where the large market teams can keep as much of their own revenue as they can and if they don't make the playoffs they are eligible for money from those who do. In this model the Flames and Lightning would have shared last years playoff revenue with the Blackhawks and Rangers.

Another winning idea from Bettman & Co.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
ColinM said:
You dodged his question though. He didn't ask if revenue sharing was feasible he asked how a team that lost money on a $20 million payroll can suddenly start to make money when their team suddenly gets more expensive by $12 million.

I don't think you could just brush it off as being more competitve is the answer. Every year somebody is going to finish last in the standings and somebody is going to finish last in attendance.

Re-read my last sentence in the post to which you responded. Your answer is right there.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
ColinM said:

Under a cap, the same team won't finish last every year. Some years a small market team will lose money and others they make some to offset the bad years. The difference is that without a cap, they lose money every year.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Leaf Lander said:
lol i love it!!!

===========================================================

52% support the owners

48 % the players or undecided

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=119106&page=1&pp=15

You have to discount anything posted by aa Leafs fan. They know that if the Leafs had to compete on an even playing field where they couldn't buy a team, they wouldn't even make they playoffs. The only people who are "pro player" are people from places like Toronto and Detroit. Everyone elsse is chanting "GO GARY GO."

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Isles72 said:

Kind of like how Bettman needs his expansion cronies to kill the season, or it doesn't work that way. I can understand why the bottomfeeders of the league mean more than the Detroit's, Colorado's, Toronto's, Montreal's, etc. The league is much better off with the power in the hands of the failing.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
if they can't make moey with a cap system they shouldn't be in the league huh? well then say good bye to many team then. as most of them can't afford 38 million a year now. only the LARGE market teams can.

Now answer the question.
How does a cap system without any real revenue sharing solve the issues of current teams losing money?

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
Leaf Lander said:
Actually, your poll asked: "should Bettman be fired?" It wasn't advertised as "owners versus players." Quite few of us support the owners position, but would like to see Betttman replaced after a new CBA is signed.

The owners versus players poll thread, (which wasn't your post so I stand corrected on that point), indeed gave the owners an 81% advantage over the players:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=119115

I just bumped the thread so we'll see if the owners are losing any traction...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad