Speculation: Who are the Wild going to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Agreed. Unlike Fenton, I think he has clear vision on how he wants this team to look. That's why it doesn't surprise on those moves either
One of my concerns with Guerin is that I kind of get the opposite impression right now. I think Fenton had definite ideas about what he wanted his team to look like, what kind of players he wanted and all that. I think he was somewhat clumsy in how he acquired those players (and in some cases which players he targeted), but I think he knew what he wanted.

Guerin seems to have very strong ideas about what his team should feel like, especially in The Room, but I have yet to see much from him that indicates what his vision for the roster is or what kinds of players he likes. His biggest moves so far have been retaining guys that were here when he arrived, or exporting guys that he didn't see fitting long term. We have yet to see him really "go after" a player.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's my title of the thread. I dont know what it is? That's why I was asking others opinions

Agreed. Unlike Fenton, I think he has clear vision on how he wants this team to look. That's why it doesn't surprise on those moves either

You made the claim that Guerin has a vision on how he wants his team to look, and Fenton didn't. On what basis can you say that?

It's nothing more than conjecture.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
You made the claim that Guerin has a vision on how he wants his team to look, and Fenton didn't. On what basis can you say that?

It's nothing more than conjecture.

I guess you can take it how you want.

He did the thing you want every smart leader should. Sat back and evaluated the whole operations from top to bottom for an extended period before making changes.

He then fired Boudreau, got rid of Mason and parted with Zucker and Staal and obviously Parise was also someone he was willing to trade.

It's his first offseason so was asking what direction people thought he would go with the organization.

You said Fenton had a vision to get younger and faster and then in his first offseason signed Zuccarello? But that's just the players attributes side of things. He showed no organizational leadership and didn't seem to think culture was a big deal.

I believe good teams become a good because all the pieces fit from skills to attitudes to leadership. And they are all pointed in one direction.

You think Fenton had that???

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I guess you can take it how you want.

He did the thing you want every smart leader should. Sat back and evaluated the whole operations from top to bottom for an extended period before making changes.

He then fired Boudreau, got rid of Mason and parted with Zucker and Staal and obviously Parise was also someone he was willing to trade.

It's his first offseason so was asking what direction people thought he would go with the organization.

You said Fenton had a vision to get younger and faster and then in his first offseason signed Zuccarello? But that's just the players attributes side of things. He showed no organizational leadership and didn't seem to think culture was a big deal.

I believe good teams become a good because all the pieces fit from skills to attitudes to leadership. And they are all pointed in one direction.

You think Fenton had that???

So what it sounds like is you like Guerin's "vision" better, not that Fenton didn't have one.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
So what it sounds like is you like Guerin's "vision" better, not that Fenton didn't have one.

Oh now I get how it sounds. Yes I get Fenton had a vision, but from my opinion he really didn't have one. Sorry my bad...

I dont know if I like Guerins vision or not because I dont know what it is.....

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
93643937-77E1-4155-A33C-25697353F374.jpeg

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
Next year this team as it stands has a floor of 10 pts out of the playoffs. If a 2c can be added a cieling of one and done. #9OA this year won't contribute. Team will still be known for strong defensive positioning, still lacking O. Just my opinion.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
All joking aside, what he is saying so far is status quo is unacceptable. He is holding the veteran leaders of the team accountable. Koivu, gone. Doobs, going. Staal, gone. Working on Parise. Suter stays because he is still good. I bet Zuccarello is next after the Seattle ED if he doesn't start earning his pay.

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

Aftershave

Feb 26, 2019
Geneva (Switzerland)
So on what basis do you say Guerin has a vision and Fenton didn't?

I’ll give it a try. The way I see it, BG has more than a “vision”. I’m hopeful he has a tangible plan for what this team must look like, and I feel than every move he makes gets him one step closer to what he’s trying to achieve. With Fenton I had the feeling that he definitely had a “concept”, meaning “getting younger and cheaper” and it looked like he just seized any opportunity offered to him to get younger and cheaper. I know it’s subtle, but in my mind each trade with Fenton was a thing in and of itself so long as it ticked the box of “young and/or cheap”; whereas with BG it looks like each trade is a small part of something bigger that we’re all excited to see.
But that’s honestly just my opinion based on nothing other than my feeling...

Last edited:
Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Im not certain exactly what Guerin's vision is, but he is on the record saying that the roster he inherited was not going to get it done. A tweak here and there wasnt going to be enough.

Call it a "retool" or "rebuild" or whatever you like, but the roster needs to be turned over. We can quibble all day long about whether he shouldve gotten more value back in any given trade, but he needed to act. Sometimes it stings a bit when you rip off the scab.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
All joking aside, what he is saying so far is status quo is unacceptable. He is holding the veteran leaders of the team accountable. Koivu, gone. Doobs, going. Staal, gone. Working on Parise. Suter stays because he is still good. I bet Zuccarello is next after the Seattle ED if he doesn't start earning his pay.

Seattle gets the #1 pick no matter what next year too right??

The bummer is even if the Wild are absolute horrid -- they STILL won't get the #1 overall :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad