Who are our Rivals?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Simple poll: with the new division, who are our rivals?

Sigh: I screwed up the poll, but I was going to have:

--Devils
--Bruins
--Sabres
--Penguins
--Washington
--Tar Holes and Dook

We'll have to do this the old-fashioned way!

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
We don't really have any. Washington is the only one that makes sense, seeing as how we've been in the same division with them now for awhile. I don't think anybody would tell you that's a rivalry though.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
According to that one thread on the main board...we're natural rivals with both Columbus and Washington.

...but that's just because he had nobody else to pair us with besides the Caps for the extra game thing he was proposing.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
Capitals should be number one. I think New Jersey can be a big one now too, with division games, and our history with them in the playoffs.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
There was some actual, bitter hatred with the Panthers between playoff appearances. Olli Jokinen accused a few Hurricanes of being divers and even Jacques Martin joined in. Then that whole win-and-in failure at home to Florida didn't help.

Capitals are an obvious choice, and the Devils would be too if Carolina made the playoffs a bit more consistently. I'd like to see a rivalry develop with the Penguins, but I don't know if that'll happen. Too many people have dual allegiances.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
:devils

All the playoff series and Scott Stevens aside, even the regular season games get pretty heated.

:bruins

This one carried over a bit from the Hartford days I think. Pretty solid, a lot of Bruins fans hate us and between Scott Walker four years ago and more recently Gleason's expert Troll job, that likely won't change anytime soon.

:sabres

Mike Card

:jets

This one was kinda weird, but I've never gone from kinda liking a team like I did with the Thrashers, to hating the same team with a passion more than I did after they moved to Siberia. Fans played a large part in it, for me at least

:habs

There was that one playoff series one time.

I'll finish by giving honorable mention to both :pens and :caps

The Penguins murdered us the only time we ever met in the playoffs, but might turn into something with the Staal trade and the Capitals is kind of a geographic thing, but I don't really hate them. I cheered for them against NYR this year and Boston last year.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
TBH it pretty much ends here, and both the Devils and Bruins might be better described as "noticeable dislike" than "rivalry".

Montreal and Washington would be "noticeable dislike" as well.

In terms of rivalry, moving to the other division (with Florida, Montreal, Boston and Buffalo) would have been more beneficial.

In terms of financial gains, Atlantic FTW

sticknpuck

Mar 3, 2013
(Ice) Cap City
twitter.com
For me, I hate the bruins, and LOVE watching them lose. But I wouldn't say they are our natural rivals. They're just the team I hate to see win.

I believe our only true rival is the caps, just because of geography and division. And they hate that semin has been relatively productive with us. They boo him any chance they get.

Last edited:

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I say none. Rivalries grow when two teams decide they don't like each other, then have years of competitive, chippy games after that. We have never been competitive or chippy for years at a time, so we haven't really seen an environment that allows rivalries to grow naturally.

There have been times over the years when emotions boiled over, but the hatred has never really stuck around. Lately we haven't been getting along with Boston and Washington, but there was a time when the same could be said for Atlanta and Florida and it seems those days are over. Even with the Devils, things seem to have mellowed out in the last couple of years. Shame, that was fun. We need to meet them in the playoffs again or something.

As for Buffalo, the atmosphere at the games is probably still testy (I haven't been to a Sabres-Canes game in years), but to me that always seemed to be between the fans and never carried over onto the ice.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
the B's and buff are the best carry overs from the hartford days that still have some relevance now. we've definitely played the devils in the playoffs enough to have a hate on for them, and they are divisional now.

no natural ones, unfortunately. same here in CO. takes some of the fun out of it. nothing better than a whaler/bruin game in hartford. half and half crowd. fights in the stands. place was ready to explode every game. pure new england hate everywhere.

i miss those days...

EQV

Aug 2, 2011
Simple poll: with the new division, who are our rivals?

Sigh: I screwed up the poll, but I was going to have:

--Devils
--Bruins
--Sabres
--Penguins
--Washington
--Tar Holes and Dook

We'll have to do this the old-fashioned way!

We MIGHT see a real rivalry between the 'Canes and Devils develop in a few years now that we're in the same division. Other than that, I don't think we have any real rivals, though I hate the Pens and Sabres, and I have a definite dislike for the Bruins after living in Boston for three years.

Also, I didn't know that State fans lumped us in with Chapel Hill (I'm a Duke alum).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
poll added

basically named all our eastern playoff matchups + the Panthers and Caps since there was a bit of rather obvious hate there too at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00