Who are 2004's sleepers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
I'd say some sleepers are :

David Krejci - The czech forward is rather unknown, but he's got really good skills. What might drop him is his size, he's something like 5'9/155.

Stanislav Lascek - He is underrated. I could see him go anywhere from the 2nd round to undrafted, but he should at least go in the top 90.

Martin Karsums - The Latvian-born playing in the Q is really impressive on the ice, he's a good goalscore, but he's extremely thin something like 6'2/150.

Roman Voloshenko - The highly skilled forward had a good U-18 Five Nation tournament in Finland, and I heard (Actually didn't saw him) that he could rise to the 1st round.

Shawn Mole - The NCAA offensive defenceman is a good skater, he could become a PP quarterback with good vision and who's a good passer.

Raymond Sawada - He is a high-energy player with good overall skills. He's also a great hitter. The fact that he plays in the BCHL might drop him a bit.

Emil Axelsson - He's a big defenceman from sweden. He's a good skater who can play a good two-way game.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
Duff88 -- The reason Lascek is rated so low is because he is a very poor skater. Plus he isnt big, that combo will always kill a player.

Karsums is 5'10 180

Lascek really improved his skating. Sooner in the year, I'd have said that I agree but the way he improved is unbelievable! He still isn't an awesome skater but he's at least average.

Sorry about the mistake on Karsums. I looked at my files for his size and mistaked it with Michal Sersen's. But are you sure he's 180? He looks extremely thin, 155 might be pusing it but he's max. 170.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Sleeper

Kyle Wilson of Colgate University. Needs to improve stamina, but he really has improved this year over last and I think he can continue improving

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Duff88 said:
Lascek really improved his skating. Sooner in the year, I'd have said that I agree but the way he improved is unbelievable! He still isn't an awesome skater but he's at least average.

Sorry about the mistake on Karsums. I looked at my files for his size and mistaked it with Michal Sersen's. But are you sure he's 180? He looks extremely thin, 155 might be pusing it but he's max. 170.

Karsums is thick. Like he is pretty strong, i think 175 is what he is.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Good mentions so far: Parshin, Cory Schneider, Oreskovich.

A few names to look out for:
Kris Chucko(BCHL)
Mikka Tuomainen(Fin)
Jake Dowell(U of Wisconsin)
Robbie Earl(U of Wisconsin)
Mike Lundin(U of Maine)
Bryan Young(OHL)
Shawn Weller(EJHL)
Darin Olver(N.Michigan)
Paul Baier(Deerfield)
Michal Mrazek(Czech)

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Duff88 said:
I'd say some sleepers are : Shawn Mole - The NCAA offensive defenceman is a good skater, he could become a PP quarterback with good vision and who's a good passer.

Wow, you have more faith in Mole than I do. (Yes, I have seen him play this season). He didn't impress me much. He didn't do anything with the puck, finished the regular season with zero points, despite playing in 22 games for the Elis. He does move well, I'll give him that. He's thin as a rail and if he's going to do anything offensively, he has yet to show it (which at this point will be next season since Yale is done for the year).

My sleepers: T. J. Hensick (Michigan) - This kid is the real deal! Excellent skater, tremendously gifted offensive player whose smart and reads plays extremely well. He's small (5'10/180) but what he lacks in size he makes up for in skill and talent.

Kevin Schaeffer (Boston University) - I really love this kid. He's shown that he could do just about everything. He's got the makings of becoming a top-notch two-way defenseman. The one aspect that really impresses me, is his Al MacInnis-like shot. This kid possesses a wickedly hard and heavy shot. If you haven't seen it, you should! It's really something to see. He's already netted a hat-trick this season, so he's got offensive skills. Possesses some really nice hands too. He's got good size (6'1/190) and uses it remarkably well. He's a real battler, particularly for puck possession. He very good on one-on-one situations and doesn't get beaten too often. He's been paired with Ryan Whitney on BU power play situations and the two work quite well in QB-ing the PP.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Brock said:
The first Redline Report article from USA Today is a good source for some sleepers so far.

And one mentioned by Woodlief is Victor Oreskovich. He was named the OPJHA (Ontario Junior A)'s top prospect last year. This year he is playing for Green Bay of the USHL, before heading to Notre Dame next season. He's 6'2 and 216, a power forward with speed. He's got 2 goals and 6 assists in 10 games so far, and only appears to be heating up. He's one of the youngest players in the entire USHL.

IMO He's definitely one to keep an eye on.

A few guys to keep an eye on in the OHL would be Bryan Bickell of the Ottawa 67's and Gino Pisellini of the Plymouth Whalers. Both could also be good power forward prospects.

Which round is Victor Oreskovich projected to be drafted in?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Oilers Chick said:
Wow, you have more faith in Mole than I do. (Yes, I have seen him play this season). He didn't impress me much. He didn't do anything with the puck, finished the regular season with zero points, despite playing in 22 games for the Elis. He does move well, I'll give him that. He's thin as a rail and if he's going to do anything offensively, he has yet to show it (which at this point will be next season since Yale is done for the year).

My sleepers: T. J. Hensick (Michigan) - This kid is the real deal! Excellent skater, tremendously gifted offensive player whose smart and reads plays extremely well. He's small (5'10/180) but what he lacks in size he makes up for in skill and talent.

Kevin Schaeffer (Boston University) - I really love this kid. He's shown that he could do just about everything. He's got the makings of becoming a top-notch two-way defenseman. The one aspect that really impresses me, is his Al MacInnis-like shot. This kid possesses a wickedly hard and heavy shot. If you haven't seen it, you should! It's really something to see. He's already netted a hat-trick this season, so he's got offensive skills. Possesses some really nice hands too. He's got good size (6'1/190) and uses it remarkably well. He's a real battler, particularly for puck possession. He very good on one-on-one situations and doesn't get beaten too often. He's been paired with Ryan Whitney on BU power play situations and the two work quite well in QB-ing the PP.

Good job OC, Ilike Schaeffer as well, he's been one of the best college freshmen defenders the whole year, logs alot of icetime.

OC, what do you think of Mike Lundin, defensman for Maine? I only saw him twice but liked his skating and smarts.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
BlueNote: I like Lundin for the same reasons you just mentioned. However, my biggest complaint/concern about him (and maybe it could be because he's a kid among the older guys) is that he seems a bit tentative and lacking confidence at times out there. I don't think he's completely confortable with the puck yet as far as playmaking is concerned. However, he seems to be working on it because I've caught several Maine games already and especially in the more recent regular-season Maine games I've seen, he's beginning to emerge out of his shell.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Hensick will have to opt-in if he wants to be drafted this summer. If he does, he loses his college eligibility, so I doubt he will do that (unless the proposed NCAA eligibility rule change for hockey players like himself who are a year younger gets passed).

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
I'll second Petrell as a sleeper, I reckon the kid will amount to something in the NHL very surely, and will be a solid pick for whoever chooses him in the later rounds..

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
Brandon Dubinsky....he's a little on the small side(5'11 180lbs) but he was the leading scorer on Portland and 11th in the WHL in scoring with 71GP-30G-48A-78P-137PIM. Not bad for a 17 yr old.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
SpaceGhost79 said:
Hensick will have to opt-in if he wants to be drafted this summer. If he does, he loses his college eligibility, so I doubt he will do that (unless the proposed NCAA eligibility rule change for hockey players like himself who are a year younger gets passed).

I hope it does get changed, because it's a dumb rule. I applaud Dave Poulin for spear-heading this campaign too.

Regardless of when Hensick decides to opt-in, IMO he's still going to be a terrific pickup.

jaybone87

Feb 1, 2003
Boomtown
Visit site
out of favourtism im gonna say Adam Berti could be a steal because of his lack of play last season. He could sneak into the first round if some1 takes the chance on him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
Which round is Victor Oreskovich projected to be drafted in?

I've only seen him once, but I was impressed. I'd guess any say 2nd or 3rd round as this is a strong year for the USHL, imo, and a somewhat weak draft.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Oilers Chick said:
I hope it does get changed, because it's a dumb rule. I applaud Dave Poulin for spear-heading this campaign too.

Regardless of when Hensick decides to opt-in, IMO he's still going to be a terrific pickup.

Yeah, it is a silly rule, but that's the NCAA for ya. If the rule does get changed, there's also the question of if it's wise for him to enter the draft this year. I mean, CSS had him rated pretty low (around 90th among NA players I think, though that could change with their final rankings), so from his own stand point do you opt-in this year or do you wait a year hoping to build off this year's success and possibly see your stock rise? Had Montoya went in last summer, he probably wouldn't have been picked as high as he will this summer (especially after his WJC performance).

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
SERKAN YAPICILAR (turns 18 Aug 11/04) Turkish Men's National Team (IIHF Div III)........6'4 177 Forward...

Well look---say its round 9 and the guy you pick probably has no snowball's chance in hell of making the NHL --why not go for a longshot = youngest player on the Turkish National Men's Team......if he fills out his frame????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad